[Release/WIP] The Xoldier

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xim

[Release/WIP] The Xoldier

Post by Xim »

After not doing anything Doom related for awhile I thought I'd give another crack at making a weapons/enemies mod. This one is more advanced then my previous attempts. The majority of the weapons have reloading, alt-knife attack and a zoom feature. I have replaced all the enemies with new ones, some are randomized accept the "boss" monsters only have one replacement so they don't break gameplay, but some maps such as Magic Walker might not work properly thanks to the imp variants. The helper marines from Nuke Weaps are back with a new arsenal (one contains a new sprite!). I also think I should make a custom hud for it, but I'm inexperienced in that. Anyways I'm not sure if I've squished all the bugs yet so let me know and give feedback please!

Note: This requires the latest SVN build of (G)ZDoom. Although I haven't made any GLDEFs for GZDoom yet, so for now it's mainly for ZDoom.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Credits
Spoiler:
Screenshots
Spoiler:
The Weapons
Spoiler:
I'll post stuff about the monsters and items at a later date.

To-Do List
Spoiler:
Last edited by Xim on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Endless123

Re: [Release/WIP] The Xoldier

Post by Endless123 »

Good thing i didn't miss this one, i like it :)

I like the grenade launcher specially with the plasma rounds, really impressive animation when it explode. Most of the weapons feel a bit too overpowered but having made a mod with overpowered weapons myself it's not really a complain :P I like strong guns :lol:

I also like the monsters. I got a surprised when i saw the one replacing the Mancubus. I even tried to get behind like in Duke Nukem in hope i could get an easy kill but i found nothing.

In short i think that's a good mod and i recommend it. For a WIP it's a really good one :D
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Xoldier of Xortune. Gonna give this a whirl.

Post-whirl edit:
SFX are all over the place. Find a comfortable medium.
Combat shotty completely outclasses the sawn-off. If you can't take something down with 8 quick shells you're likely better off with a bigger gun to begin with. Maybe make the sawn-off a quickdraw weapon so it can stay around as a viable backup.

Oh, and the assault rifle sprite is too low. Doesn't line up with the crosshair.
Last edited by Slax on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

I think ejecting the casings could be a bit more random and "action-packed". :) For example, it looks like the casings from the combat shotgun appear from thin air and just fall to the ground where they clump together if the player stands still.

The grenade launcher should keep it's selected grenade type.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Yay, a gun mod - yippie ka-yay, I'll give it a whirl, aaand... here are my thoughts so far:
Spoiler:
There's probably more than that, but that's what I gathered from a five minute play. Overall, sorry if I sound harsh, that ain't intentional. For such long break, it's pretty alright, and I like the fact that when I shoot stuff - it actually dies! :P
Slax is right about the rifle being very low, but I bet that it's the sprite's fault. If he'll raise it any further, it'll get cut off. This mod just needs some polishing, that is all.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for the feedback. I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far. I've made a To-Do list based on your comments (in the 1st post).

As for the Plasma Grenade being seen before, I'll admit that I "borrowed" it from deathz0rs OMG Weapwns. I just loved the attack for the Mega Proton Cannon so much that I had to use it, it felt like an instant classic. But if need be I'll try and make something more original, and same with the Pyro Cannon.
leon2012evil

Post by leon2012evil »

I can't download this mod. I would like to, because according to the screenshots and the description, it seems like a good mod.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Oh this mod is ancient now, I don't think it's even works the latest GZDoom. Lots of clunky bugs in here too. It probably seems better than it is tbh.

Here's a new link for it, thank you for being interested in this.

edit: that version I uploaded was even more out of date, fixed it with a newer one.
GoalDude-00

Post by GoalDude-00 »

Ancient or not, I gave it a spin and enjoyed it as something of a retro throwback. It's certainly enjoyable, though the grenade launcher's HE grenades seem to be broken (as in they seem to lack any visual or audio data associated with them, leading to me killing myself over and over when trying to use them). Definitely took me back to the past. :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”