[WIP] Sneaky Doom - New A.I.!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Freaklore1

Re: [WIP] Sneaky Doom - New A.I.!

Post by Freaklore1 »

Have you tought about a silenced shotgun ?

Here is an exemple : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4PIdH-FrNw
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Well, no new additions to the arsenal just yet. However, I have added silent knife kills for the zombieman, sergeant, chaingunner, and imp, as well as adding stealth A.I. to the lost soul, cyberdemon, and spider mastermind. Killing lesser foes with a knife is now entirely stealthy, so long as the strike is a killing blow.

The arachnotron and spider mastermind have a bizarre "glitch" in their wander states. If someone Decorate-savvy would investigate it, I'd be grateful. They seem to get stuck in a loop of starting new searches sometimes, resulting in a repetition of footstep and active noises. I really don't understand why they would be any more difficult to implement, unless A_BabyMetal and similar functions actually do more than play a sound effect (in which case I shall replace any such calls with A_PlaySound).

Oh, another addition: player sprites. I need to get crouching sprites put together, but I've got everything else. I made a sort of "spec ops" Doomguy using a variant of the shotgun guy which I first discovered playing Smooth Doom. The only credit I can give is this: Gifty thinks ItsNatureToDie made the original shotgun guy with the night vision goggles. If someone knows better or can confirm this, I'll be happy to include some proper credits for the original sprite.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I remember the Ballistics mod had a pretty cool throat slitting animation with its knife. It was always a one hit kill if you got up close and hit a smaller enemy like a zombie or imp from behind. Could you do something similar? It was basically just a sound and blood spurt I think, The mod is here if you want to take a look http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29876
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

-Ghost- wrote:I remember the Ballistics mod had a pretty cool throat slitting animation with its knife. It was always a one hit kill if you got up close and hit a smaller enemy like a zombie or imp from behind. Could you do something similar? It was basically just a sound and blood spurt I think, The mod is here if you want to take a look http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29876
I've played Ballistics and seen how the knife worked. It attacks with a slitting animation, which might take some effort for me to pull off with this same knife. The death sequence was extended and blood would spray from the enemy's throat; I could do that, I suppose, although it seems less than stealthy. I might look into it in a bit.

I forgot to mention, the armor pickups are carried in the inventory in this latest release. They don't really behave like I want them to, they're pretty much just generic Doom armor items. I'll look into making them exchangeable, perhaps in the same vein as DoomRL Arsenal's armor system.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Just a quick fix to weird arachnotron / spider mastermind behavior. Grab a new copy from the OP if you'd like them not to be broken.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Would it be too much to ask for you to include the sourcecode in the dark_doom.pk3 file or otherwise make it available? I'm curious as to how it works and see if I might be able to play with it for 'Back To Saturn X: Radio Report', as that levelpack just BEGS to be played with Dark_Doom. Add in a colored lighting add-on to it I've worked on off and on for awhile and 'Back To Saturn X' now feels VERY similar to Doom64 !
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I don't know if I held onto the source code, because it may have amounted to a grand 5 lines of code or so.

I think it was essentially just an ENTER script that lowers the lighting of sector 0 by a set amount -- that amount is lessened in dark_doom_lite.pk3

If you need, I can probably reproduce it after a quick check with the wiki.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Any good updates for this planned for this year, SidDoyle?
Big C

Post by Big C »

Something seems to be wrong with either Dark DooM or the latest (May 3rd) devbuild, as Dark DooM no longer reduces lighting levels when loaded.

EDIT: Looks like the problem is solved, but you'll probably need to revise the Dark DooM patches at some point.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Wow i've never seen this mod before! I love the new AI mechanics! Is there any way this is compatible with Brutal Doom SE? I get SO tired of watching the enemy walk in predictable patterns.
sycspysycspy

Post by sycspysycspy »

Skrell wrote:Wow i've never seen this mod before! I love the new AI mechanics! Is there any way this is compatible with Brutal Doom SE? I get SO tired of watching the enemy walk in predictable patterns.
Unfortunately, NO. But if you want some blood you could load this mod along with http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... it=ketchup
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Big C wrote:Something seems to be wrong with either Dark DooM or the latest (May 3rd) devbuild, as Dark DooM no longer reduces lighting levels when loaded.

EDIT: Looks like the problem is solved, but you'll probably need to revise the Dark Doom patches at some point.
Interesting -- sectors with multiple tags sounds like a useful feature. Anyway, I'm mostly out of the whole ZDoom modding scene these past couple of months. Still, if troubles with Dark Doom persist in the future, I may try to scrap together a quick update. The original script is nothing particularly special, but I'm not sure what kind of revisions would be possible with multiple tags per sector. If that starts becoming a mapping norm, it may just break Dark Doom altogether.

Of course, what would be really ideal is some kind of universal lighting multiplier setting that could just make Dark Doom obsolete, some kind of 0.0 - 2.0 slider. With option for excluding sectors with F_SKY ceiling. Yeah. :P
Big C

Post by Big C »

Oh well. :U Can't be helped---at least Graf says the mod should still work with all vanilla maps and older ZDoom maps, so I won't be starving for spooky maps!
Big C

Post by Big C »

For some reason, playing Hideous Destructor with the Dark Doom mod enabled gives me an extra ZM66 rifle magazine when I start play as Medic---and no other class.

I have ZERO idea why. The Medic is supposed to start with a ZM66, a full mag in the gun, and no spares.
thonglover
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by thonglover »

I remember i quake 1 mod that was like this and i like the theme music :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”