[WIP] Sneaky Doom - New A.I.!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheMightyHeracross

Re: [WIP] Sneaky Doom - Stealth Suit Added

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Wikipedia wrote:Both the United States Department of Justice and the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive) refer to suppressors as "silencers".
Dog gone it America! Screwing with the system again! :P
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Probably just because it's just the colloquial term in common use. Easier than constantly fighting over the distinction, because "silencers" don't really exist except in fiction, but it's an appropriate alternate name for the real item.

8-)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Wow, I honestly didn't know the "twip" noise I'm so used to seeing in games and movies is actually a lie (we don't have guns here so I wouldn't have known). This thread made me Google and Youtube this stuff up and I learned something new today. Thanks. :D
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Welcome to Hell, Nash. My suspension of disbelief takes a HUGE nosedive, and I have a hard time taking anything else serious if the game/movie uses the sound. I think my wife is getting tired of hearing me groan "that's not what they sound like!" all the time.

8-)
TheMightyHeracross

Nash

Post by Nash »

Based on the reverberation in that video, that is still pretty damn loud and if someone was on an infiltration mission inside that house, firing those guns is sure as hell going to alert any security personnel on patrol. :O Doesn't help that the empty casings bouncing around is making all that racket...
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

It doesn't look like he's wearing ear protection, even outdoors with a supressor you're looking at hearing damage, indoors would be even worse.
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

It's possible for dynamic light emitting props to reveal player position? In Lasting Light mod it is possible to create two enemies that either scared of light and disturbed by light.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

NantoCodd wrote:It's possible for dynamic light emitting props to reveal player position? In Lasting Light mod it is possible to create two enemies that either scared of light and disturbed by light.
There is no way in the GZDoom engine to determine whether an actor is currently affected by dynamic light; in Lasting Light a simple check for whether or not the player's lantern is activated is used to simulate that effect. I have considered using a hacky method of causing all classic Doom light emitters to give stealth decreasing items to nearby actors, but haven't tested it yet. Ideally I could just check the dynamic lighting, but that isn't possible I'm afraid.
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

How about tossing things to distracting monsters?
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Good mode :D

Bring back some Tenchu's memories with that light indicator (makes me think about the ki meter of Tenchu). I'd like to make a suggestion though, would it be possible to make the player walk a bit faster? One way could be to add a "stealth mode" walk that could be toggled when needed.

Could be done this way :
Spoiler:

You could do a pretty good Tenchu mod for Doom based on this mod you know.

For those not knowing what the hell is Tenchu series it's an old ninja, stealth oriented, 3rd person action game series. Basically the player executes missions and must not be seen in order to have the highest rank at the end of each mission. Some missions requires to be stealth during the mission or else the mission is a fail.

Check those videos to see what it is
Spoiler:
There is many more Tenchu games on PS1 and PS2 but the gameplay is the same so i won't waste your time with youtube links to all of them.
NantoCodd wrote:How about tossing things to distracting monsters?
Like in Metal Gear Solid?

Would be great if we could do that :)
Last edited by Endless123 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

Yep, never play MGS, though, but basically the player start the game carrying stones/empty can/used magazine etc inside the inventory, and can toss them. Monsters who can hear it, instead of go to alert state, will temporarily go rogue to the direction of the noise, like former soldiers shoot, imps throw fireballs, etc. But it won't work if they already aware of you.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

NantoCodd wrote:Yep, never play MGS, though, but basically the player start the game carrying stones/empty can/used magazine etc inside the inventory, and can toss them. Monsters who can hear it, instead of go to alert state, will temporarily go rogue to the direction of the noise, like former soldiers shoot, imps throw fireballs, etc. But it won't work if they already aware of you.
Just like in MGS, it also only works when the player haven't been seen by one or more enemies. In Tenchu i used to throw a shuriken on a wall or a tree to make the enemy samurai move that way and meanwhile i get closer to him and when he exits the alert state and return to the normal state i sneak behind him and get an easy stealth kill. Wasn't working all the time but it was fun when it did.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Endless123 wrote:I don't know if it's possible to do but another way could be to use the light indicator to change the player speed and/or the invisibility level of the player. That way the darker the area the player is into the more invisible he becomes.
My mod currently reduces the player's alpha (opaqueness) based on his stealth indicator. Have you stepped into any particularly dark spots and looked at yourself with the chasecam? I don't know if this works completely in ZDoom (untested) but in GZDoom you should be turning nearly invisible in very dark places. Are you running the latest SVN GZDoom? Not sure why that wouldn't be working.

As to the stealth modes, that would add a high level of complexity that I'm currently not ready to add. The reason walking is so slow is because the amount of sound you produce (as well as your visibility) is tied directly to your movement speed. Short bursts of running are fairly safe in the right situations, but prolonged running will make a lot of noise and make you easier to see.

Throwing things would be a fantastic addition; I'd already wanted to add this, but I haven't looked into making the monsters investigate a specific area. If I learn how to do that, I'll be adding a bit more than just throwing things... heheh. :)
TheMightyHeracross

[wiki]Thing_Hate[/wiki]?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”