Dark Forces

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Valherran

Re: Dark Forces

Post by Valherran »

jdredalert wrote:No, he is saying that he wants to re-create the weapons as they were in the original game. If he changes the animations, the sense of authenticity is lost.
*Facepalm*

That is what Classic and Enhanced Mode is for...
Lex Safonov

Post by Lex Safonov »

And so friends, the first attempts to move the maps from the original game engine doom2
What you think about whis?)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

looking flawless and neat, had no idea it would work!
TheBeardedJedi

Post by TheBeardedJedi »

"Impressive, most impressive!"
Valken

Post by Valken »

Great work! Can't wait to see the Dark Forces maps with update GZdoom effects!
Raz

Post by Raz »

This is a really great mod, nice work. I've made a small modification to get it running with Darkest Hour. Keyconf goes in the top level of the .pk3, the others go in the Actors folder. The changes stop the weapons randomizing, enable you to pick up the "Force Gauntlet" (chainsaw), stop the enemies randomizing, and leaves the Dehacked Jedi, AT-ST, Shock Trooper and Jawa to spawn as they did in the original wad. Oh and make the backpack give you ammo only so you can't get all the weapons straight away on the first level. I haven't tested the whole wad yet but it seems to work OK so far.

Attachments
df-dh.rar
(4.06 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Lex Safonov wrote:And so friends, the first attempts to move the maps from the original game engine doom2
What you think about whis?)
Very nice.
Raz wrote:This is a really great mod, nice work. I've made a small modification to get it running with Darkest Hour. Keyconf goes in the top level of the .pk3, the others go in the Actors folder. The changes stop the weapons randomizing, enable you to pick up the "Force Gauntlet" (chainsaw), stop the enemies randomizing, and leaves the Dehacked Jedi, AT-ST, Shock Trooper and Jawa to spawn as they did in the original wad. Oh and make the backpack give you ammo only so you can't get all the weapons straight away on the first level. I haven't tested the whole wad yet but it seems to work OK so far.

Awesome, will have to check that out sometime.
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

Awesome, keep the good work
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

I see Dark Forces maps are being translated into GZDoom. I am looking most forward to this!
Lex Safonov

Post by Lex Safonov »

The work is quite complicated and I am having difficulty already on the very first map. Doom builder often gives errors when I try to edit the vertices and lines.
Dark Forses has more advanced engine. The game is almost all used portals, high-rise and other bells and whistles. The first level, which I presented, already contains the 3 floors.
For example:
As you can see - there should be a second floor. 3d floor will not work here because the geometry of this floor is quite complicated.
There is a question - to adapt to the specifics zdoom map? After all, there portals purely visual and perform poorly.
And another screenshot)))
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Have you tried Hexen's invisible teleporter method? At the end of a hallway/stairway there are invisible teleporters that link to another area somewhere on the map, which created the illusion of multi floor levels.
Lex Safonov

Post by Lex Safonov »

Valherran wrote:Have you tried Hexen's invisible teleporter method? At the end of a hallway/stairway there are invisible teleporters that link to another area somewhere on the map, which created the illusion of multi floor levels.
This method works if one location is not visible from the other. In this situation, everything is just the opposite. You can divide the locations to make teleports - all floors are now divided into different locations).
TheUnbeholden

Post by TheUnbeholden »

Raz wrote:This is a really great mod, nice work. I've made a small modification to get it running with Darkest Hour. Keyconf goes in the top level of the .pk3, the others go in the Actors folder. The changes stop the weapons randomizing, enable you to pick up the "Force Gauntlet" (chainsaw), stop the enemies randomizing, and leaves the Dehacked Jedi, AT-ST, Shock Trooper and Jawa to spawn as they did in the original wad. Oh and make the backpack give you ammo only so you can't get all the weapons straight away on the first level. I haven't tested the whole wad yet but it seems to work OK so far.
Why aren't the fists showing up? Using your modification as a patch or by editing the Darkforces and replacing the right files for some reason removes the fists :/
Raz

Post by Raz »

Sorry, I had a comma in the Keyconf where there shouldn't be one. Use this update, this also scripts the force gauntlet so it draws like all the DF weapons. Using it as a patch seems to work except you start with zero ammo for your blaster, I don't know why. So it's better to make a copy of Lex's mod and then mod it with these files.

I also tested this with the Darkest Hour prequel which I only just found out existed http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file= ... rkpack.zip

The only error I noticed was a part where you get ambushed by interrogation droids and none of them are able to leave their alcoves, I guess as they're lost soul replacements in DH and Lex's mod makes their size correct for their sprites.
Attachments
DF-DH2.rar
(5.78 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
BloodShot

Post by BloodShot »

I've started working on a texture replacement pk3 for this

At the very least that way doom will look like Dark Forces
Spoiler: Preview Shots (WARNING LARGE)
I'm kind of lost though, I'm trying to make brightmaps for textures and I read the wiki on them and I can't get them to work. I even went so far as to replicate somebody else's brightmap setup but mine just refuses to work, anyone got any idea why?

I'd really like to get these working, as it's a big part of the dark forces/star wars feel

Return to “Gameplay Mods”