Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
tsukiyomaru0
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

No mapset, only classic Doom 2 map. Couldn't happen again and no log has been saved.

Captain J
 
 
Posts: 16765
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 am
Discord: DiscussJ#3128
Location: A Year old Pizza Box

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by Captain J »

so, is that happening again now? if you still having that problem, don't forget what kind of version of gzdoom you have. if it's version is oldest, your gzdoom deserves to be upgraded.

User avatar
tsukiyomaru0
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Nope, I downloaded just the other day. But don't forget: it's a testing version, so unstability is expected.

User avatar
Scripten
Posts: 846
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 9:11 pm
Discord: Scripten#3195

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by Scripten »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Ah, I would definitely be interested, if you wouldn't mind! :D


I haven't got internet hooked up to my main rig right now, but as soon as I do I'll send you the newest version of what I've got. Also, I love the new player sprites you've got in right now. Very Metroid Prime-y. :P

User avatar
twinkieman93
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:13 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by twinkieman93 »

Bug report! You can't fire missiles when you first enter a level until you've fired your beam. Kinda lame, really. This was in GZDoom by the way, I can't say whether or not this happens in Zandyland. I was using several mapsets(Vanguard, Stardate 20X6, Equinox), and this happened in all of them. It was especially a pain in Vanguard because I wanted to use a super missile and eliminate one and weaken some of the other eponymous arch-viles of the map "Thirteen Angry Arch-Viles" right out of the gate(they teleport almost as soon as they're alerted so you need to hit 'em hard and fast!). Oh well.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but zombies no longer make dynamic lights when firing. On a side note I really prefer playing this in GZDoom if for no other reason that the Wave Missile for whatever reason isn't nearly as laggy while playing in GZDoom rather than Z&. It still gets frame-y towards the tail end of the blast, but it's nowhere close to the slideshows I see in Z&.

EDIT2: More bugs! When you kill a space pirate and it lands on a decorative object, for example, a torch... well... this happens.
Image
Last edited by twinkieman93 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sdk2k9
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by sdk2k9 »

I'm hyped up already. :D I love Metroid and I love Doom. My 2 favorite Video Game series put together.

User avatar
Infirnex
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:30 am
Location: US

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by Infirnex »

twinkieman93 wrote:Bug report! You can't fire missiles when you first enter a level until you've fired your beam.


Using Zandronum, it works fine for me.

On another note, it seems that the Ice and Plasma beams (incidentally, my two favorite beams, especially plasma) get caught on walls if you are close. It is obscenely frustrating, especially with the plasma beam's range limitation.

User avatar
twinkieman93
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:13 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by twinkieman93 »

Sadly, that's what happens when the beams are positioned to come out angled from the beam cannon. It's not really something that can be fixed. The best thing to do is just know that if you hug a wall to your right, it will stop your beam, and just mindfully avoid such a situation.
[spoiler=Protip!]Use the Doom Cannon in close quarters if you have it.[/spoiler]

Captain J
 
 
Posts: 16765
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 am
Discord: DiscussJ#3128
Location: A Year old Pizza Box

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by Captain J »

glitch against with glitch? sounds good to me, eye for an eye. BTW, does terminus already knows this awkward glitches yet?

User avatar
twinkieman93
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:13 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by twinkieman93 »

I told him about the reports the last time I was able to get in touch with him, so I'm pretty sure he's seen them. Well, maybe not the space pirate one.

User avatar
TerminusEst13
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:08 pm
Twitch ID: TerminusEst13

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by TerminusEst13 »

twinkieman93 wrote:Bug report! You can't fire missiles when you first enter a level until you've fired your beam. Kinda lame, really.

Fixed, thank you.

twinkieman93 wrote:EDIT: I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but zombies no longer make dynamic lights when firing. On a side note I really prefer playing this in GZDoom if for no other reason that the Wave Missile for whatever reason isn't nearly as laggy while playing in GZDoom rather than Z&. It still gets frame-y towards the tail end of the blast, but it's nowhere close to the slideshows I see in Z&.

Ahhh. Technically it's less a "bug" and more of an "oversight" since I rarely bother with dynamic lights. The short of the matter is that the dynamic lights are tied to the original zombiemen and not the replacements. It'll probably just be a simple matter of just porting the lights over.

twinkieman93 wrote:EDIT2: More bugs! When you kill a space pirate and it lands on a decorative object, for example, a torch... well... this happens.
Image

...whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops. Not 100% sure how to fix this, but I'll try out a few things.

sdk2k9 wrote:I'm hyped up already. :D I love Metroid and I love Doom. My 2 favorite Video Game series put together.

Thank you! I'm really glad to see more Metroid fans--in development, practically none of my testers were really familiar with the series.

Infirnex wrote:On another note, it seems that the Ice and Plasma beams (incidentally, my two favorite beams, especially plasma) get caught on walls if you are close. It is obscenely frustrating, especially with the plasma beam's range limitation.

Like Twinkie said, not a whole lot I can do about it, unfortunately. It's just a side effect of the gun firing from the side--I can try and reduce the height/radius of the beams, but that won't stop them from coming from the side at all, it'll just means you can hug the walls a slight bit more.

Captain J wrote:BTW, does terminus already knows this awkward glitches yet?

The ZDoom forums aren't my main forums, but I still read all reports people send me. It just might take me a day or two before I get to them.

Thank you all for your suggestions and input.

User avatar
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy
Posts: 511
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:31 pm
Location: In the unknown void of all-surpassing emptiness

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy wrote:Hm. Well that was quite a big mistake there. I actually meant to ask about the Plasma Beam's projectile sprites. Where did those come from?
As per the credits, those are from Enterbrain! Specifically, from their RPG Maker VX creation tool. I recolored the battle animations and tweaked the graphics slightly to fit in Doom, but they're really quite pretty.

Thanks. =P

Captain J
 
 
Posts: 16765
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 am
Discord: DiscussJ#3128
Location: A Year old Pizza Box

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by Captain J »

i see, but least the problem has been known and solved for now. thanks for that! :D

User avatar
Infirnex
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:30 am
Location: US

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by Infirnex »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
Infirnex wrote:On another note, it seems that the Ice and Plasma beams (incidentally, my two favorite beams, especially plasma) get caught on walls if you are close. It is obscenely frustrating, especially with the plasma beam's range limitation.

Like Twinkie said, not a whole lot I can do about it, unfortunately. It's just a side effect of the gun firing from the side--I can try and reduce the height/radius of the beams, but that won't stop them from coming from the side at all, it'll just means you can hug the walls a slight bit more.


Ah, well. If it's unavoidable I can live with it :P .
Any new info on the Skulltag replacements btw? I know that for the moment only the minigun has a special replacement. Honestly was quite surprised you didn't go for the Hyper Beam for the BFG10K replacement.
Though no idea with Railgun and Grenade Launcher.

User avatar
TerminusEst13
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:08 pm
Twitch ID: TerminusEst13

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Infirnex wrote:Any new info on the Skulltag replacements btw? I know that for the moment only the minigun has a special replacement. Honestly was quite surprised you didn't go for the Hyper Beam for the BFG10K replacement.
Though no idea with Railgun and Grenade Launcher.


At the moment, what I'm currently planning on is having a third option for the cvar which randomly (and with a low chance) replaces the normal weapons with their Skulltag counterparts (so chaingun can spawn a minigun instead, etc).
For consistency's sake, like the Chroma Storm I'll probably be using original weapons for the Railgun/Grenade Launcher slots--I think the best way to create something as a tribute isn't just to follow the source material 100%, but to flex around and offer your own interpretation on things. The Light/Dark/Annihilator/Nova Beam will not be making an appearance, for reference to those who have asked--Light and Dark are basically Plasma and Ice, Nova's gimmick really only shone when it was tied with a visor, and Annihilator's homing is unbelievably difficult to reproduce in Zandronum due to its incredibly limited homing attack behavior. I have an Interesting Idea for the grenade launcher, but Railgun has me a little stumped since the Long Beam pretty much is a railgun.
The BFG10k...may be something else entirely, in line with the charge combos for BFG9000. I think ten different weapons is more than enough, hahaha.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”