Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TehRealSalt
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by TehRealSalt »

For the BFG10k, how about the Zero Laser? (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Zero_Laser)

I know it doesn't come from an official Metroid game, but I like the idea of a uber-powered gun with massive charge time that gets destroyed after one shot. You don't have to incorporate the whole "become Zero Suit Samus" part, though.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

For homing, there was something that used MageStaffFX2, I think. It's commonly seen as the replacement for homing behavior in MM8BDM.
Infirnex

Post by Infirnex »

It's not really worth trying to get the Annihilator Beam to work, despite having the most kick ass name ever. In function it was just a super powerful Wave Beam really, and it's main "balancing" factor was that Prime 2 had ammo for non-power beam beams. Specifically Light and Dark, and the Annihilator Beam used one of both per shot.

Since we have the wave beam which is pretty similar, with a weaker homing ability compared to the Annihilator's ridiculous one, it would be redundant, especially since coding ammo now would be kinda stupid for just one beam.

With the railgun...I thought of a darkmatter or void beam, where it could shoot through walls...but I don't know if it is within the limitations of the Doom engine, nor would it differentiate with the Long Beam. Maybe move the long beam to the Railgun slot and find a replacement for the Plasma Gun instead?
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

TehRealSalt wrote:For the BFG10k, how about the Zero Laser? (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Zero_Laser)

I know it doesn't come from an official Metroid game, but I like the idea of a uber-powered gun with massive charge time that gets destroyed after one shot. You don't have to incorporate the whole "become Zero Suit Samus" part, though.
Just give it a long-ish charge time. Regular fire could be a slow moving beam that eats through enemies. Alt-fire could be a large, bfg style shot with tracers, but also takes 1-1/2 of an etank to use as a possible balance. No need to destroy it.

Also, would it be possible to have the morph ball and bombs be pickups and not default equips? The morph ball kinda breaks maps pretty hard. As in almost every map.

One last thing, could the grapple beam be put it, but with the ability to grab and throw enemies?
TehRealSalt
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TehRealSalt »

I think there's a console command for changing what you start with; so if you want to start with absolutely nothing, you can.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Your super-high jump tends to break things too, but who cares? Breaking the ever-loving shit out of the game has been a Metroid tradition since the very first game.
Ijon Tichy

Post by Ijon Tichy »

BFG10k replacement will be beam stacking. Term's well past made up his mind on that.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Ijon Tichy wrote:BFG10k replacement will be beam stacking. Term's well past made up his mind on that.
...Spammy ripping bouncing freezing instant-hitting long-range triple shots? :wub:

Of course, I dunno how he's going to reconcile the whole no-spazer-and-plasma-at-the-same-time thing from Super Metroid. There's always totally ignoring it. :P
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

I was hoping to keep things mum until I'd figured out the system completely, but the cat's out of the bag now, so yeah. Like how the BFG9000 is Charge Combos from Prime, I'm highly considering leaning on Beam Stacking from Super as the 10k.
If this goes as planned, you'll have an extra "blank slate" weapon, and you'll be able to pick two of the Chozo beams and combine their gimmicks together into it--like combining Ice's Freezing with Long's instant-hit to form, well, a freeze laser. Or Power's Rate of Fire with Wave's Bouncing to create even spammier shots that travel farther and go faster. Or, yes, Plasma's Ripping with Spazer's Spread to form that glorious combo you've been wanting to have for a long time.

...this is still in the theoretical stage, however. There's so many ways this can possibly break, so I want to make 100% sure it can be done before I even start working on it. It might not even happen at all.

...Speaking of theoretical, though, I'm curious. What sort of things would you guys want to see? There's a whole ton ton ton of things other Metroid fans have been requesting of me, and I'd really like to see what you guys would consider cool.

1: Extra features/maneuvers from other Metroids? (i.e. the sidehop, the Shinespark, bomb combos, etc)
2: Extra items from other Metroids? (i.e., the visor, screw attack, etc)
3: Extra characters in the vein of Metroid Prime: Hunters? (A space pirate, a Federation soldier, etc)
4: More maps, finishing up the DM mappack and/or maybe a few short singleplayer/co-op missions about hunting bounties?
5: Metroid enemies acting as (optional) replacements for the Doom bestiary?
6: iwad dependency removed to play in Heretic, Hexen, Chex Quest, etc?
7: Extra graphical polish? (Cleaning up the skin, tweaking the arm cannon, new sprites for the weapon pickups/bombs/etc)
8: Zero Suit mode? (Fast meleeing with muay thai/krav maga, plasma pistol, sneaking around and taking out enemies covertly)
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

If you want to add a "joke class" of sorts, feel free to use these sprites:
I was originally planning for a MM8BDM mod, but never got the motivation to go on. Should you want to use, you don't need to ask twice. The Armcannon sprites should be stretched to 4x of original size, projectiles, explosions and trails can use "scale 2.5" in the actor definition, should you want to use the aspect ration I had intended it to.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

So me an Term were talking about additional classes, and I came up with a few ideas for a Federal Trooper class.

Federation Trooper

PROS:
Faster firing rate (Fully Automatic)
Better defence in converted mode
Jetpack instead of space jump

CONS:
No charging
Immobile in converted mode
Less agile than Samus

Arm Cannon is now an Assault Rifle / LMG
You have to reload every 75 shots (or earlier with Reload key) but you have an unlimited amount of mags. Beams are replaced with different ammo types, ice bullets, sniper rounds etc. You would have to reload each time you change ammo.

Missiles are replaced with Grenades fired from an attached Grenade Launcher (or thrown if it looks cooler), throw distance is around Middle range (Enough to reach IOS brain for doom2 compat)
Super Missiles are replaced with Incenidary grenades, when they explode they create a small patch of fire like the Plasma Cannon missile combo.

The Fed Trooper would not have a morphball. Instead, when the morphball key is pressed the Trooper ducks down and builds a small barrier around himself (ala Red Alert 2 Infantry). This gives him a good defence boost but renders him immobile. The player could use this to defend a corridor or other tight places. Since the trooper is Immobile, instead of bombs the player would still use their AR (but with a slower ROF for some balance). Superbombs would be replaced with a more damaging super missile.

Since the Fed Trooper does not have Samus' advanced power Armour, he does not move with the agility of Samus. Upon collecting the Space Jump he is instead granted a short range jetpack (Hold jump, move for a bit) but after moving for too long it runs out and must be recharged, so don't fly over bottomless pits for too long!

That's about all I have so far, anyone else got any ideas? I'd probably be able to put together some resources for it if someone can help with coding.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

All of those ideas seem cool, Term, but I'm not sure how applicable a stealth-based playstyle would be without maps specifically built with it in mind, and with enemies custom-coded to work for it...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

i'd bet this mod gonna have a big sized beefy fed trooper with missile launcher if term agrees with shivers!
Infirnex

Post by Infirnex »

TerminusEst13 wrote:1: Extra features/maneuvers from other Metroids? (i.e. the sidehop, the Shinespark, bomb combos, etc)
Bomb combos sound like a great idea. And I already voiced my opinion that the Shinespark should be in :P
TerminusEst13 wrote:2: Extra items from other Metroids? (i.e., the visor, screw attack, etc)
Screw Attack. I feel that it's too iconic of a powerup to be left out. Make it replace the computer map after you already got a space jump?
TerminusEst13 wrote:3: Extra characters in the vein of Metroid Prime: Hunters? (A space pirate, a Federation soldier, etc)
I say this is mainly for Samus, but I'm not against it.
TerminusEst13 wrote:4: More maps, finishing up the DM mappack and/or maybe a few short singleplayer/co-op missions about hunting bounties?
More DM maps specifically for this would be nice. A singleplayer would too, but it would require...
TerminusEst13 wrote:5: Metroid enemies acting as (optional) replacements for the Doom bestiary?
Yes. I have full support for this.
TerminusEst13 wrote:6: iwad dependency removed to play in Heretic, Hexen, Chex Quest, etc?
Obviously Doom will be the primary game, mainly due to setting, but it would be nice to incinerate Flemmoids with a Plasma Beam.
TerminusEst13 wrote:7: Extra graphical polish? (Cleaning up the skin, tweaking the arm cannon, new sprites for the weapon pickups/bombs/etc)
I think you mentioned you wanted to add fins to the cannon for the missiles a la Prime. That would be nice. Arm Cannon positions (raised for Ice/Dark, wide for Wave/Light, Long for Plasma/Annihilator, etc.) would be nice, but would understandably be a massive pain in the ass to make.
TerminusEst13 wrote:8: Zero Suit mode? (Fast meleeing with muay thai/krav maga, plasma pistol, sneaking around and taking out enemies covertly)
If you do make a class system or add extra characters, Zero Suit would fit there better than part of Samus herself.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Agh, not Zero Suit, Zero Suit Samus killed Metroid! (Do you wonder why there's no sequel to Fusion? Because Samus is not hot anymore, that's why, thus prequels and baby bottle ship happened. Hell, for all intents and purposes this mod is already more worthy than a game in the series nowadays...)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”