Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RockstarRaccoon

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:
TerminusEst13 wrote:"Go right ahead, just keep the credits straight and rename the project so people don't think I'm involved".
Can I make a new version of Metroid Dreadnought that replaces Samus with BJ Blazkowics?
I just wanted to note, there is a common philosophy within the Doom modding community that these things should be open for new variations and for existing content to be reused. We make this stuff to be used, to expand the community's pool of content.

The only time I'd say this was inappropriate would be if someone else was already halfway through a project you were starting from scratch: I wouldn't want someone to revamp the existing Dreadnought code or make a single player campaign unless they looked at my team's progress and decided they had irreconcilable creative differences, because I'm desperate for a more experienced ACS/DECORATE coder at this point (especially a Zandronum one) and it would be incredibly disheartening to see the interested talent divided like that...
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:The only time I'd say this was inappropriate would be if someone else was already halfway through a project you were starting from scratch: I wouldn't want someone to revamp the existing Dreadnought code or make a single player campaign unless they looked at my team's progress and decided they had irreconcilable creative difference
Unfortunately, friend, that's not really up to you.
If someone decides to do their own fork, they're free to do their own fork with absolutely no obligation to check in with you.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
RockstarRaccoon wrote:The only time I'd say this was inappropriate would be if someone else was already halfway through a project you were starting from scratch: I wouldn't want someone to revamp the existing Dreadnought code or make a single player campaign unless they looked at my team's progress and decided they had irreconcilable creative difference
If someone decides to do their own fork, they're free to do their own fork with absolutely no obligation to check in with you.
I think it really depends. It's like when someone makes a custom sprite and they don't want anyone using without their permission or something. I've seen people in forums on the example I stated getting banned for using something without another's approval, but this was long ago... 2005-or-something-long.
RockstarRaccoon

TerminusEst13 wrote:
I'm aware, I'm just saying, it's a time I'd be uncomfortable because that's like, I don't have the resources to complete what I'm working on as is, and this is someone making an identical thing... Why would you bother at that point?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:I'm aware, I'm just saying, it's a time I'd be uncomfortable because that's like, I don't have the resources to complete what I'm working on as is, and this is someone making an identical thing... Why would you bother at that point?
Because everybody has their own interpretation of a given thing, and sometimes a dude just wants to make whatever they want without worrying about whether someone has done it "first."
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

I've been working a bit on that Blazkowics Dreadnought mod thing I was talking about. I hope I can figure out how to tweak the firing rates and stuff so it matches the new guns. Was also thinking of replacing missiles with thrown hand grenades.

Is the code for the morphball and special abilities (the damaging run thing, the super bomb) contained within the ACS or Decorate of this mod?
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Abilities are all contained in the Decorate, the morphball morphing itself is ACS. Thankfully, it shouldn't require that much editing to adjust.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:Image

I've been working a bit on that Blazkowics Dreadnought mod thing I was talking about. I hope I can figure out how to tweak the firing rates and stuff so it matches the new guns. Was also thinking of replacing missiles with thrown hand grenades.

Is the code for the morphball and special abilities (the damaging run thing, the super bomb) contained within the ACS or Decorate of this mod?
Wait you were actually serious? I thought you were joking. ...You still might be, you've put more effort into jokes before, but wow. o.o I'm kinda looking forward to seeing this. :D
RockstarRaccoon

Hmm... How good are you at DECORATE and ACS? I've been streamlining, expanding, and commenting the code for the beams and ball, so you should probably be using my version of the code. My version has better physics and we're trying to get a good system for switching to a on-map camera for puzzle tunnels...
R4L
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

For anyone still wanting to work on this, I've decided to share some things I've done in lieu that someone will pick this up and want to continue with it.

Arm Cannon Model

Has no animations or any coloring for different beams, but could be easily done I believe.

Gunship Model

Floats and has blocking, but could be refined a bit.

Morph Ball
Spoiler:
Just a decoration for now, but would really make a nice replacement for a sprite.

Includes readme with proper credits for both. Would love to see someone use these, or get them to work in this mod! I realize they aren't implemented very nicely, but I've just learned how to do this not that long ago, and started Doom modding not too long ago as well... I'd love tips or pointers to get these in the mod or at least how to properly implement them.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Apologies for bumping this, but I've found something strange. It seems in the jump to gzdoom 3-0-1 onward, PowerBombTankPickups do not give you the proper powerbomb ammo, and summoning and walking into PowerBombAmmo just results in a lot of console pickup spam. It works just fine in gzdoom 2-2-0, so something must've changed between now and then for it to break. Give all does make it work, but that's obviously not a desirable solution.

The regular missile tanks, and Super missile tanks work just fine, bizarrely.

And yes, I've been using the latest version, MetroidDreadnought-v1.1c.pk3, unedited.
R4L
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

IIRC, the mod worked fine in GZDoom 3.2.1. Try it on there if you haven't already. If not, I'd say message terminus about it, although I'm not sure if he will offer any support on this mod...
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Yeah, I've been using GZDoom 3.2.1, though it's the -x64 one, and grabbing a PowerBombTankPickup isn't giving me any actual ammo.

Heck, even grabbing a brand new version of it still gives me the error.

Edit: oh, and trying to give myself the items with the metroid_loadedcvar still gives me no ammo for the PowerBombs, and trying to pickup a PowerBombAmmo results in console spam.

edit2: Actually, it seems the line

Code: Select all

TNT1 A 0 ACS_ExecuteWithResult(594, 12)
isn't actually giving me the PowerBombAmmo item. The rest of the script seems to work fine, far as I can tell.

The freaking weirdest part of all this is that super missile tanks work fine so I'm literally just :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

edit3: Okay.

Now it kinda sort've works kind've. If I happen to pickup a PowerBombTankPickup in Map07 it works fine, though it doesn't actually give me a PowerBomb to use when I pick it up (it did in GZDoom 2.2.0, but not 3.2.1), I can now collect the PowerBombAmmo items, at least the dropped ones.

However if I go to map01-map06 and do it, I'm unable to pick up the items (they won't up the ammo counter). Same thing if I go to map32 or map31.

I'm genuinely confused about this whole thing tbh.

edit4: Yeah it seems that if I want functional powerbombs it'll be on map07. What a strange bug.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Cryomundus wrote:What a strange bug.
I had a look into this issue and I got as far as you. That ACS line. Unfortunately I've never done anything with ACS and SLADE doesn't even view the ACS code. I'm on one of the dev builds shortly after GZDoom 3.2.1 came out (not yet the latest as I've not gotten around to changing), and also 64-bit. Picking up a Power Bomb Tank for the first time just gives you an empty tank and no ammo, but I was then able to pick up Power Bomb Ammo after getting the tank. I only tested it with the training map, though.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Okay, I have literally no idea why this works but I think I might've solved it? You have to comment out

Code: Select all

Inventory.Amount 1
 Inventory.MaxAmount 0
under the PowerBombAmmo bit in items and it now seems to more or less function as intended. I don't know why this works, as Super Missiles are near identical but those have the inventory things still there and it still works fine so ?????

Return to “Gameplay Mods”