Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RockstarRaccoon

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Ayyy, I'm finally in a setup where I can work on this stuff again! Hopefully I'll be able to get back down to it and build something releasable in the next few months...
R4L wrote:For anyone still wanting to work on this, I've decided to share some things I've done in lieu that someone will pick this up and want to continue with it.
I love the models and will be contacting you about helping me implement some of them.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

Glad to see your back. :)
Espeon

Post by Espeon »

Hi there, did someone make a monster pack for Dreadnought by any chance?

Been doing a mappack with some extra items, based on this mod, but I'm still lacking some monsters for it :shock:
RockstarRaccoon

Espeon wrote:Hi there, did someone make a monster pack for Dreadnought by any chance?

Been doing a mappack with some extra items, based on this mod, but I'm still lacking some monsters for it :shock:
There is a space-pirate included in Dreadnought.

I was working on a Metroid, but wasn't super happy with it and was thinking of using a model. I can send that to you if I remember next time I'm at my computer...

I also made a new monster called a "Gremlin" that's a little green thing that jumps at you. My boss-battle to get the Wave Beam is a swarm of these coming out of the walls. That lacks full rotations and is more of a generalized Doom monster though.

I'd also like to implement Zoomers and Rippers at some point, and those would probably work best as models.

Other than that, the guy who is doing the 8-bit Metroid mod has a few basic Metroid enemies in his, but I question their quality.

Very interested in this map pack.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Espeon wrote:Hi there, did someone make a monster pack for Dreadnought by any chance?
Nope, no monsters.
It's certainly one of the more requested features, but the problem with that is coming up with the sprites for it...
RockstarRaccoon

Oh! Oh! I can't believe I forgot this!

I made Zombie GF guards too.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Hi RockstarRacoon, I would really prefer it if you kept discussion of your mod to a seperate thread. it is a bit frustrating to see updates to this thread that aren't updates to this mod. I think your discussion about add on mods is fine, but I don't think posts like your last one are appropriate. Besides, you don't want information on your cool mod to be buried in this thread.
RockstarRaccoon

Sgt. Shivers wrote:it is a bit frustrating to see updates to this thread that aren't updates to this mod. I think your discussion about add on mods is fine, but I don't think posts like your last one are appropriate.
1) Terminus has stated that he will not be updating any longer, so if that's what you're looking for, then you will always be disappointed.

2) his question was has anyone else made monsters that work well in this, the answer was yes.

3) I just had to hash things out with the 3rd person so far about a new feature they'd spent time making that I'd already made and posted somewhere. (This time it was hatch doors and another morph-ball tweak) I don't want to have to do that a 4th time when this guy makes GF Guards or Metroids or Zoomers or Rippers, or fixes the bug with the missiles and beams or something else that we already spent the time working on, because with about maybe 2 people at a time willing to work on this, I'd rather bother you with mentions of things in other projects than see the work divided to redo the same thing over and over again and going nowhere. I want to see a full Metroid/Doom crossover type setup, and it will never happen if people make the same things over and over.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

I agree with Sgt. Shivers. While you have a point that terminus isn't updating this mod, it can be confusing to others that don't know that. You may as well just make your own thread for your mod instead of keeping this one alive when there is no point to.
RockstarRaccoon

Shadelight wrote:I agree with Sgt. Shivers. While you have a point that terminus isn't updating this mod, it can be confusing to others that don't know that. You may as well just make your own thread for your mod instead of keeping this one alive when there is no point to.
I'm actually not meaning to talk about my project here, as I already talk about it elsewhere. I'm just trying to answer when someone asks "has this been done / is someone doing this?" because the answer is YES. It is always YES because I have been poking at it as a side-project for the past year. I made 3 threads to tell people about my fork, but they were all closed for me not being able to post enough new content fast enough.

I actually totally agree with what you're saying, and would love if this thread was only used to talk about the Dreatnought stuff and not request/post features I've already worked on, but it's just been unfeasible to fix that. I will make a new thread the next time I get the chance to sit down and type one out and not be pulled away when someone tells me there's a problem, because I've been adding things to this relatively consistently for the past year (minus a few months from the hurricane and the move), and the last few things I made in the GZDB should be enough to constitute a semi-complete project.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:I made 3 threads to tell people about my fork, but they were all closed for me not being able to post enough new content fast enough.
This is a straight-up lie, they were closed because you didn't post any content aside from ideas.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but if you've been working on things consistently for the past year then surely you have something to show. Please make your own topic.
RockstarRaccoon wrote:3) I just had to hash things out with the 3rd person so far about a new feature they'd spent time making that I'd already made and posted somewhere. (This time it was hatch doors and another morph-ball tweak) I don't want to have to do that a 4th time when this guy makes GF Guards or Metroids or Zoomers or Rippers, or fixes the bug with the missiles and beams or something else that we already spent the time working on, because with about maybe 2 people at a time willing to work on this, I'd rather bother you with mentions of things in other projects than see the work divided to redo the same thing over and over again and going nowhere. I want to see a full Metroid/Doom crossover type setup, and it will never happen if people make the same things over and over.
Are you serious? You're actually dissuading people from working on features just because you've already done the same in your add-on? I don't even have words for this.
This is the second time you have brought this up, and this is the second time I'm telling you it's not up to you.
If someone decides to do their own work, they're free to do their own work with absolutely no obligation to check in with you or to merge their work with yours.

You don't control Dreadnought, nor do you have any right to try and tell people to stop making things for it.
RockstarRaccoon

TerminusEst13 wrote:You're actually dissuading people from working on features just because you've already done the same in your add-on?
No, I'm telling them that things they want to add already exist, and that they shouldn't be taking the time to retread old ground unless they really want to make them again.

Example: Espeon was making hatch doors, so I sent him the hatch code I wrote last year before he took the hours to untangle all the little issues that I had to.
silentw

Post by silentw »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:
TerminusEst13 wrote:You're actually dissuading people from working on features just because you've already done the same in your add-on?
No, I'm telling them that things they want to add already exist, and that they shouldn't be taking the time to retread old ground unless they really want to make them again.
That's literally exactly what Term said. Stop trying to control what other people do. Make your own thread. Stop necrobumping this one.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well finally term and others are speaking my language. No matter what you do, bumping this thread is just meaningless but making new one. And i also hope you stop being defensive and forced-dissuading as well.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”