Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gifty

Re: Smooth Animations Project - Take 2!

Post by Gifty »

RikohZX wrote:It's certainly an interesting take on smooth animations, and it's more complete than the previous takes. I feel like it skews the difficulty a bit, though; projectiles like the Imp's, Hellknight's and Baron's all seem to move faster, enemies themselves move faster, and attack animations also come out quicker. To the point that while chainsawing an Imp to death, they may get in one quick slash inbetween the hits, or they may spam more fireballs than before that are particularly harder to dodge in close-quarters. Was this all to match up with the sped-up animations?
Yeah, this isn't intended to be a gameplay-altering mod but due to my own incompetence a couple of the animations don't quite match up. I'm working on fixing those and by the next update they should all be rectified.
scissorman11785

Post by scissorman11785 »

Gotta say; though it's rough and incomplete, this is pretty close to the ideal Doom wad I've been looking for for a while. An upgrade of the vanilla-Doom experience that doesn't alter the core of the game. I only have three complaints: the enemies move and attack too fast, the zombiemen lack lightmaps, and the double barrel shotgun is soundless when playing Doom 1. Aside from that, I can't wait for the next update.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Well... you ARE playing Doom 1 which doesn't feature the SSG, so... xD
scissorman11785

Post by scissorman11785 »

Oh yeah. I guess it doesn't matter since I usually play with the console fx wad where the SSG has sound even in Doom 1. I noticed that the rocket explosions are flashier, do you think it's possible to do the same with the exploding barrels? When a barrel goes off next to a zombie, the explosion just looks weak compared to the shower of gore it causes. Also, I think the death animations of the lost soul, Cyber-demon and Spider-demon could benefit from some extra gore and explosion fx. Lastly, I think the blood splatters that land on the ground are too high-res. There's nothing wrong with them, they just look a little out of place. Those are my only complaints about this otherwise awesome mod.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

I've actually been fiddling with the explosions lately because I don't generally agree with Sarge's sensibility regarding effects. I was actually planning to remove all that extra explosion stuff because I always thought it looked goofy, but if you guys liked it then maybe I could do an addon that puts it back in for rocket and barrel explosions. Also remind me to do a bullet casings mutator for ETPC.

EDIT: Thought you guys would enjoy this. It looks super sexy in-game.

Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Big update! All loose-end rotations are taken care of now, and the zombieman gibbing is endlessly entertaining. See the changelog for a full debrief!

I'm thinking pretty soon here there'll be enough new stuff that it'll be time for a new trailer. WITH MORE SURF ROCK. :D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

now that's an amazing gibbing animation! and i wonder about how cyberdemon and spider mastermind's explosion looks like in your future update!
Yutrzenika

Post by Yutrzenika »

Is it at all possible to give the cacodemons, barons, knights, etc, their correct blood colors?
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

Yutrzenika wrote:Is it at all possible to give the cacodemons, barons, knights, etc, their correct blood colors?
Those can be altered easily in DECORATE, but considering Gifty is more focused on the animations themselves I'm guessing it won't appear in this.

*Waits for Gifty to contradict statement*
Arthropod supremacy

Post by Arthropod supremacy »

I played a couple of maps with this and it really adds a lot to the game. I'm wondering if you're planning to release a version with only the enhanced versions of the original animations though. The custom animations and effects are nice, but I think I would prefer a more subtle version. :)
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Arthropod supremacy wrote:I played a couple of maps with this and it really adds a lot to the game. I'm wondering if you're planning to release a version with only the enhanced versions of the original animations though. The custom animations and effects are nice, but I think I would prefer a more subtle version. :)
I totally intend to provide different flavors of the mod pretty soon here, I'm just trying to find a way that won't fragment the mod too much and confuse people. I like Brutal Doom's mutator system, but at the same time, I don't want people to have to juggle fifteen different files to get the experience they want, so I'm not sure how this'll work out.

Quick status update: within the week, all non-boss monsters will be completed! There's going to be a groovy new video, it'll be just like a real mod and everything! At that point I'll shift focus to the extra stuff (fluff animations, refinements etc.) and inevitably the bosses, which will surely take some doing. I have no idea how long that'll take. :P

Oh yeah, and re: blood colors, that is something I'd like to do, I just haven't yet because I don't really have the know-how. But expect developments in that area.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

I am astounded by how quickly you are flying through all this work. It's almost supernatural.
acidhoez

Post by acidhoez »

any plans on hexen/heretic/strife? enjoying the way this looks so far.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

acidhoez wrote:any plans on hexen/heretic/strife? enjoying the way this looks so far.
It's crossed my mind, definitely possible!
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Have you guys considering doing smooth animations for the animated textures?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”