Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Smooth Doom [UPDATE 9/25/19]

Postby Superdave938 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:14 pm

How's this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Superdave938

Postby Lagi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:29 am

Superdave938 wrote:How's this

Looks great! More sprites in monster, looks unreal real. Now I immediately notice low frame (4) animation - so yeah Im spoiled. the more Im very happy another artist start adding frames.

If you looking for feedback (rather nitpicking):
- check the rifle muzzle
Lagi

Postby Gifty » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:40 pm

Looking good, thank you! I think the zombie/marine sprites will eventually (a long time from now) be overhauled into a new animation with more frames, but for now that looks great. Would gladly throw a complete set of those into the mod for the time being, if you've got'em. :)
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Postby Asais10 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:44 am

Gifty wrote:
Asais10 wrote:This is a very cool mod, but I think it shouldn't add extra frames to the monster attack animations (including Shotgunguy pumping, Revenant/Cacodemon melee, Arch-Vile healing and Pinky/Spectre biting) because as Civvie-11 said, the monsters in Doom telegraph their attacks, and your muscle memory kicks in to dodge them, which doesn't really happen because of those extra firing frames. I don't really know about the directional attack frames, because if the enemies are not looking at you then they're obviously not attacking you but infighting.

With all respect to Civvie, I think it's kind of inarguable that enhancing every aspect of the game except the attack animations would look like total shit. Right now I'm in the middle of giving all the monster sprites a second pass, as most of the assets currently in the mod were done a long time ago when I had basically no experience or powerful tools. I think the ideal solution is to pull everything up to a higher standard of quality, which would include more clearly telegraphed monster attacks. The animation below is an example of the sort of quality I'm shooting for:

ATTACK.gif

It's going to take a while because I'm basically doing all this by myself, but fortunately with the tools and experience I have now I can operate at a much higher level of quality and efficiency than would ever have been possible at the start of this mod. Currently I'm about halfway through a complete overhaul of the imp, hopefully the jankier-looking monsters can follow suit soon after.

Good. The new Imp attack looks way more telegraph-able than the current one, at least for me.
Asais10

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Matt » Wed May 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Gifty can you update the OP? It's giving people the impression that the latest version is still the one with the infinite BFG bug.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Gifty » Wed May 06, 2020 3:25 pm

Oops, dumb oversight on my part. Updated with the latest changelog.
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Postby DoomCATO » Wed May 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Gifty, can you bring back the Rotating Key
DoomCATO

Postby Gifty » Wed May 06, 2020 9:35 pm

DoomCATO wrote:Gifty, can you bring back the Rotating Key

I'd like to, but it just brings up a lot of compatibility issues with a lot of mods that use custom keys. If there's a cleaner way to do it I'll bring them back!
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Postby Xtor98 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:55 pm

Xtor98 wrote:Hello, Gifty!
I really liked your modification, which significantly improves the quality of animations in the game and adds special features for a deeper immersion in the gameplay!
I want to ask a question - I know that some time ago in your fashion there was a component "smooth intermission" for Ultimate Doom, but now I do not find it anywhere. Can you please tell me where I can find him? Thank you for your attention.
Xtor98

Postby TheOldKingCole » Mon May 18, 2020 5:42 pm

For curiosity's sake, what is the combat benfit of using the rifle? It seems no better or worse than the pistol
TheOldKingCole

Postby Lagi » Tue May 19, 2020 1:11 am

Ive been to shooting range only twice in my life, but i was curious about it also before...

longer barrel generate more velocity. because gas pressure from explosion is pushing the projectile for longer time. F=ma2 so that means damage, or penetration at least.
longer barrel mean better accuracy. Because the the same little offset in alignment of front and rear sights of a pistol and rifle, means the bullet will miss the target by more cm.
longer gun mean its heavier & you can better support it = lower recoil.
Lagi

Postby Gez » Tue May 19, 2020 2:46 am

I think the tip of the rifle could stand to be slightly more consistent so it moves more like a solid object and less like it's morphing. There's something kinda weird-looking about it and I think it's when it goes L-shaped that causes it.
Gez

Postby TheOldKingCole » Tue May 19, 2020 8:23 am

Lagi wrote:Ive been to shooting range only twice in my life, but i was curious about it also before...

longer barrel generate more velocity. because gas pressure from explosion is pushing the projectile for longer time. F=ma2 so that means damage, or penetration at least.
longer barrel mean better accuracy. Because the the same little offset in alignment of front and rear sights of a pistol and rifle, means the bullet will miss the target by more cm.
longer gun mean its heavier & you can better support it = lower recoil.

I meant in the mod
TheOldKingCole

Postby Gifty » Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 am

TheOldKingCole wrote:For curiosity's sake, what is the combat benfit of using the rifle? It seems no better or worse than the pistol

It's faster firing. In a future update I might also make it more accurate, to differentiate it a little more.
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Postby Captain J » Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Hey, so the damage value of both pistol and a rifle are the same. Right? If so, making the rifle slightly weaker or doing the opposite thing to a pistol might help to differentiate them a little. Because it feels like the Rifle is taking pistol's spotlight.

I know that you can turn off the setting of enemies dropping rifle, but some people might want to shuffle both weapons during the situation where they need one of them.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods