Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Smooth Doom [UPDATE 9/25/19]

Postby wildweasel » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:31 am

condor67 wrote:Hi Gifty,

Is there any chance you'll be someday porting Smooth Doom for Doomsday Engine?

Unless Doomsday Engine supports any form of Decorate scripting, I doubt this would happen.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Gifty » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:10 pm

Yeah, unfortunately I have a feeling that would be very difficult without any kind of DECORATE support. I would basically have to rewrite the whole mod and learn Doomsday's scripting system from scratch. Sorry about that!
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Postby condor67 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:02 pm

Gifty wrote:Yeah, unfortunately I have a feeling that would be very difficult without any kind of DECORATE support. I would basically have to rewrite the whole mod and learn Doomsday's scripting system from scratch. Sorry about that!

Well I guess Doomsday Engine doesn't support Decorate scripting at all =(

It's a shame because the graphics processing is awesome, I hope the devs someday find a way to make it compatible with the thousands of ZDoom's mods

Tks anyway guys, cheers
condor67

Postby Gifty » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:32 pm

If you want brightmaps and ambient occlusion specifically, those things can be done in Gzdoom!
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Postby zrrion the insect » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:35 pm

its not difficult to get gzdoom to resemble the shot on the left. Apart from the HUD everything else is available in the settings somewhere and that HUD would not be hard to make with a simple mod.
Edit: ninja'd
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Postby condor67 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:10 pm

Do you guys know any tutorial to tweak the display settings on GZDoom to make the game look more like the Doomsday screen?

Or maybe some mods, with the cool bloom effect, dynamic lights, fog, etc

There goes 4 more screens of Doomsday, notice the lights of corridor for example shining the hand on the right top screen, that's pretty cool:

These are the graphics features provided by Doomsday Engine (taken from https://dengine.net):

OpenGL 3.3 renderer
Stereoscopic rendering modes: anaglyph, side-by-side, cross-eye and parallel viewing
Bloom, vignette, and fog effects
Dynamic lights with halos and lens flares
Dynamic ambient occlusion (corner shadowing) for world surfaces
Dynamic shadowing effects for world objects[/b]
3D models for world objects (with per-vertex lighting and multiple light sources), skies, skyboxes, and particles
Environmental mapping effects for 3D models and world surfaces
Automatic world surface (light) decorations
Detail texturing, shine and glowing effects for world surfaces
Smart texture filtering using a modified hq2x algorithm
condor67

Postby Nash » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:13 pm

I am 98% certain that GZDoom's render graphics-wise is more advanced than Doomsday's. Framebuffer rendering, Vulkan and OpenGL support, shaders, materials (diffuse/specular/normal maps or PBR), brightmaps, attenuated lighting, lightmap shadows, moddable screen post processing shaders, SSAO, bloom, chromatic aberration, FXAA, supersampling... plus probably a few other features I'm missing. :shrug:

Here's a screenshot I made in GZDoom.

Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby DoomCATO » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:48 pm

Hi Gifty

Can you bring back the Rotating Key
DoomCATO

Postby dmslr » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:05 pm

Nash wrote:

Your plasma gun and hud look interesting. What are you using?
dmslr

Postby Xtor98 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:26 am

Hello, Gifty!
I really liked your modification, which significantly improves the quality of animations in the game and adds special features for a deeper immersion in the gameplay!
I want to ask a question - I know that some time ago in your fashion there was a component "smooth intermission" for Ultimate Doom, but now I do not find it anywhere. Can you please tell me where I can find him? Thank you for your attention.
Xtor98

Postby haunteddentures » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:02 pm

i noticed two small issues with the most recent update and with my limited slade knowledge was able to fix them.

smooth doom 4-14-20 bug.png

the most apparent one is that the shortgreentorch is now blue. this can be fixed by going into DECO/Decoration.txt, finding this section:

Code: Select allExpand view
Actor ShortTorch_Green : ShortGreenTorch replaces ShortGreenTorch
{
states
   {
   Spawn:
      BLSH ABCDEFGH random(2,3) bright
      loop
   }
}

and changing it back to how it was in a previous version of smoothdoom

{
translation "192:207=112:127","240:247=11:12"
states
   {
   Spawn:
      loop
   }
}

the other issue is that shortredtorch seems to be missing it's dynamic lights. to fix this go into GLDEFS and go to line 511 and change:

frame BLSH { light SMALLREDTORCH }

to

frame RESH { light SMALLREDTORCH }
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haunteddentures

Postby HeemboGlobin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:40 am

Not sure if anyone else is having this issue (did a search and didn't see it mentioned), but I tried the latest version with nothing edited and nothing else loaded, and it seems caco gibs are spawning some red wall blood in addition to blue. I included a few additional screens taken while also using Nashgore since it makes it much more visible. Does anyone know how to fix it?

https://imgur.com/a/2zkBici
HeemboGlobin

Postby BucketHoodie » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:19 pm

I would wanna know if there is a version of this that has doom 64 sprites and all but no gore mod? I would realy like to mount this with the Bolognese gore mod.
BucketHoodie

Discord: BucketHoodie#2467

Postby Kazudra » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:16 pm

condor67 wrote:Do you guys know any tutorial to tweak the display settings on GZDoom to make the game look more like the Doomsday screen?

Or maybe some mods, with the cool bloom effect, dynamic lights, fog, etc

There goes 4 more screens of Doomsday, notice the lights of corridor for example shining the hand on the right top screen, that's pretty cool:

These are the graphics features provided by Doomsday Engine (taken from https://dengine.net):

OpenGL 3.3 renderer
Stereoscopic rendering modes: anaglyph, side-by-side, cross-eye and parallel viewing
Bloom, vignette, and fog effects
Dynamic lights with halos and lens flares
Dynamic ambient occlusion (corner shadowing) for world surfaces
Dynamic shadowing effects for world objects[/b]
3D models for world objects (with per-vertex lighting and multiple light sources), skies, skyboxes, and particles
Environmental mapping effects for 3D models and world surfaces
Automatic world surface (light) decorations
Detail texturing, shine and glowing effects for world surfaces
Smart texture filtering using a modified hq2x algorithm

You'll need a glowing Flats mod, Brightmaps, and generally tweaking the settings.
Personally I dislike the filtering, but for the sake of replication...

haunteddentures wrote:i noticed two small issues with the most recent update and with my limited slade knowledge was able to fix them.
{
translation "192:207=112:127","240:247=11:12"
states
   {
   Spawn:
      loop
   }
}

translation "192:207=112:122","240:247=120:127"

This'll make the green torch's... green more accurate
Kazudra

Postby Asais10 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:41 am

This is a very cool mod, but I think it shouldn't add extra frames to the monster attack animations (including Shotgunguy pumping, Revenant/Cacodemon melee, Arch-Vile healing and Pinky/Spectre biting) because as Civvie-11 said, the monsters in Doom telegraph their attacks, and your muscle memory kicks in to dodge them, which doesn't really happen because of those extra firing frames. I don't really know about the directional attack frames, because if the enemies are not looking at you then they're obviously not attacking you but infighting.

I know about disabling smooth monsters entirely, but that also removes:
1. Properly colored blood for Cacodemons and Bruisers.
2. Extra death animations and gibs
3. Smooth walking animations
4. Extra monster skins (when they get fixed, otherwise that's a lot of spritework that's going to waste.)

I have tried removing the MISSILE subdirectories for monsters, which contain the spritework for attacks but that causes strange bugs like enemies turning invisible for a few seconds after attacking. This is probably because of the extra frames this mod has. I also tried looking into the decorate scripts, but there's nothing to do there or that's just because I'm a Doom modding newbie. An in-game option to turn on/off the attacking frames would probably be impossible, but configuring like you can now (turning off certain features of the mod inside of the mod itself using the DECORATE file) maybe possible, but maybe not. So the last option is simple: an additional version of the mod that lacks the monster attacking animations .
Asais10

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods