Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gifty

Re: Smooth Doom [UPDATE 6/15/19]

Post by Gifty »

cs89 wrote:Sorry if there was a similiar question, I have to write this:
If I want to play a megawad with only smooth weapon animations and with monster randomizer mod, there are any ways to disable the vanilla monster animations?
Yes there is! I've set up the mod's file structure so that people with only cursory modding experience can customize which parts they want; all you have to do is open up the mod in any PK3 editor, open the "DECORATE" text file in the main folder, and comment out (add // double slashes) each line of the text file that you don't want to use in the mod. So, for the lines of text that represent the monsters, simply comment out all those lines and the mod will load without monsters (they'll be clearly labelled when you open the DECORATE file). This way it's easy for people to make their own changes and it's easy to reverse if you want to go back at any time.
sdaa

Post by sdaa »

I сomment out Weapons & effects in the decorate file and got a bunch of script errors, gzdoom won't launch.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Removing certain scripts on any mod is pretty complicated and takes longer than you think, i'm afraid. Take a closer look at the error text and find out what is wrong, or probably ask us what's the problem is.

And now, here's my question of the mod:

- I hear a little Quake sound effect when i attack with Chainsaw or BFG 9000 with Recoil Mode on. It's not a big deal, but interrupts me a little. Intentional?

- Can i expect Doomguy to be animated smoothly like the rest of the cast?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Yeah, I was in a rush and probably should have mentioned that it's kind of a different task depending on which part you want to remove. Removing weapons can itself be easy, but Smooth Doom also defines a player class elsewhere and that has to be removed if you don't want problems with conflicting player classes
spamclark15

Post by spamclark15 »

How about the option involving zombiemen dropping rifles have a 3rd selection that replaces the pistol with the rifle?

Also, is this mod compatible with Brightmaps Plus here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=64299

as well as the sprite fixes here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=36713
badope6
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by badope6 »

I'm having a problem with a very small selection of wads in that some weapons can't be selected after being picked up. Example of one of these wads is Valiant, try loading the first map and getting the rocket launcher (though shotgun is fine).
I'm not sure if it is due to Smooth Doom, these wads themselves or due to GZDoom.

I verified that Smooth Doom is culprit here. Playing on the latest GZDoom (v4.1.3) and Smooth Doom as of writing this.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Unfortunately Valiant has custom weapons, which means it isn't compatible with Smooth Doom or any gameplay mod that also changes weapons. You could probably hack them into working together by disabling Smooth Doom's weapons and player definition.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Valiant has a Vaccinated Edition that works with gameplay mods.
Iniquitatis

Post by Iniquitatis »

@Gifty, sorry in advance for being too pedantic, but I have two little nitpicks about the shotgun:
  • (See screenshot) There are remains of the muzzle flash on third frame of the fire state. Is it intentional?
  • The second frame of the muzzle flash comes in a little bit too early (try to set i_timescale to something like 0.1–0.2 and then shoot).
All of these happens either with classic or black gloves.

DoomCATO

Post by DoomCATO »

Are you playing this with the PSX Doom TC version, because I dont have any trouble with the main mod.
Iniquitatis

Post by Iniquitatis »

@DoomCATO, nope, it's not a total conversion, but "Consolation Prize" maps from Kinsie, which doesn't replace any of weapon definitions.
Turin Turambar
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Turin Turambar »

Have anyone done a fork or whatever of this, with only the monster animations? To have more compatibility with other mods.
wasoha
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by wasoha »

I LOVE this mod. It looks fantastic, some great work done here.

I look forward to when brightmaps get implemented. When they do, will they be based on NightFright's brightmaps_plus or have an option to toggle between standard and plus? That's my brightmaps of choice and I'm pretty married to it, it's the main thing that pulls me away from using smoothdoom.
Also, does this implement sprite/offset fixes similar to Revenant100's spritefix1.9?

Smoothdoom+brightmaps_plus+spritefix is pretty much my ultimate doom QOL dream team.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

wasoha wrote: Smoothdoom+brightmaps_plus+spritefix is pretty much my ultimate doom QOL dream team.
+Doom Neural Upscale 2X (someday...) https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... pscale-2x/
LOL_DUDE

Post by LOL_DUDE »

Excellent mod. The smoother animations and additional options that it provides breathe new life into such a classic game. However, there's a few things I'd like to see possibly addressed in future versions.
For one, I noticed that the sprites added by the ENHANCED GORE setting are not visually altered when the player has a light amplification visor and GZDoom's Enhanced night vision mode option is enabled. This is especially noticeable since the corpses that the sprites come from are affected by this setting, so it breaks the illusion that the player is viewing the world through infrared night vision. If possible, could this be corrected?
Additionally, Monster rebalance's method of lowering the health of Lost Souls causes a few issues. For those who don't know, as Tekish pointed out, Monster rebalance instructs Lost Souls to die when their health reaches a certain threshold and they play their hurt animation, rather than actually reducing their health. This makes it so that hitting a Lost Soul whilst it's playing its forced dying animation will make it start over, continuing until the animation is allowed to play fully or its health is actually reduced to 0. I've also had instances of Lost Souls getting stuck in their attack animation after being shot mid-charge (I do not believe this is a problem with Smooth Doom), making it so they don't play their hurt animation after further damage and thus do not die as fast as intended. This also causes mods that convey the enemy's health to the player in some way, such as Simple HUD Add-ons's CrosshairHP and HitMarkers, to be inaccurate, since they still display Lost Souls' health at their original value rather than the intended lower one. I would think that the simplest solution to this would be to make Lost Souls' health level actually lowered instead of using this work-around. Even if that came at the cost of the option not being able to take effect without a level restart or change, I would personally much prefer that.
That's all I can really nitpick on, though. I'm personally hoping to see random enemy skins re-implemented, and hopefully brightmap support added in, too, though I can wait on those, of course.
Last edited by LOL_DUDE on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”