Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gorec

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by Gorec »

ooookay i was wrong but still big plasma cells for some reason replaced with plasma gun from doom 64 oh wait its getting better,keep firing 64 bfg and it will turn into doom 2 bfg(but firing sprites still 64)
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know, is it normal that not all items work with the voxel add-on even when it's placed after SmoothDoom ? I would guess it's because SmoothDoom replaces those items with a version of its own, in which case is there a SmoothDoom compatible full voxel set ? (at least for vanilla models, not Doom 64 variants).

Also a small suggestion, I would love to see the chainsaw splitting death animation from Beautiful doom in this ^^ I love SmoothDoom much more (mostly for the fitting 1:1 better and the higher compatibility with other mods) but still kinda miss this cool touch ;)

Great mod anyways, been using it since, well, too long to count :P
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

can you hel me find hte smooth monsters?
i cant find it
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

shadstarn wrote:can you hel me find hte smooth monsters?
i cant find it
Hi! I discontinued the monsters-only wad, and instead have commented inside the DECORATE file of the main mod to make it easier for people to customize it themselves. If you want to disable everything except monsters, you can do it in the main DECORATE file.
VecterStroke

Post by VecterStroke »

Have you thought about applying smoothness to Realm667 monsters such as the afrit or deadabus?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

"Applying Smoothness" is probably a lot harder than you think. It's not just a photoshop filter or something.

8-)
MainMan

Post by MainMan »

I downloaded smooth doom mainly because of the black gloves and now I see they are not there anymore. I don't understand why you did't rather remove the awful original skin colored but nvm.
Is there a place I can download the older version with black gloves from?
Korell

Post by Korell »

MainMan wrote:I don't understand why you did't rather remove the awful original skin colored but nvm.
I take it from the change log that the black gloves will be back in due course. The change log states: -glove colors are temporarily disabled while I get sprites together/clean up code
VGA

Post by VGA »

I also much prefer the black gloves!
TheAvatos

Post by TheAvatos »

Can you please add support for custom doomguy mugshots aka the face in the bottom of the screen. When I use my custom mugshot it flickers between the custom and the normal face. I would use smooth doom and beautiful doom over original doom any day but I have a custom mugshot I like to use. If this can’t be achieved its no problem. Thank you
acridAxid

Post by acridAxid »

TheAvatos wrote:Can you please add support for custom doomguy mugshots aka the face in the bottom of the screen. When I use my custom mugshot it flickers between the custom and the normal face. I would use smooth doom and beautiful doom over original doom any day but I have a custom mugshot I like to use. If this can’t be achieved its no problem. Thank you
I don't think there's anything that can be done to fix the conflict you create when you load your custom mugshot, you'll probably need to determine what frames you don't have and add them yourself. Regardless, this isn't really a Smooth Doom problem.
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

Ive decided to post my Smooth Doom Projectile Upgrade here. Its gotten repeated acclaim on the doom general in /vr and a link in the news post, but so far it hasnt gotten much visibility because people keep asking about it. This is a patch/add on to smooth doom that has to be put after it in the load order. Ive included (but kept separate) a palette wad I strongly recommend using with it (based on the 1024 palette).

This is part of a larger tweak that I decided to chop off so that people could enjoy it more readily. There would be alot of other changes but these are pretty solid at this point.

(to be clear this isnt a suggested change to the game, this provides additional cinematic tweaks which provide eye candy with a low-overhead approach, it isnt for everyone)

ProjectileUpgrades.pk3
https://mega.nz/#!64wGiYDA!b7g6j3vYfel7 ... olKZhLX5cA

1024palCyan.pk3
https://mega.nz/#!2xphGIBb!Bqr_ev2SqLu2 ... UowXozr-Ks
Spoiler:
The following are some screenshots for the way it looks under the normal palette.
Which I hadnt tried yet until I was about to publish it, but I think they look just as impressive.
Spoiler:

Noble Fireball composed of sprite particle effects, allows for visible vertical/diagonal movement. Mancubus fireball is non-additive and opaque, but remapped to brighter colors, Imp Fireball is remapped for additive for an opaque/bright center. Sparkles are more comprehensive, explosions scatter yellow sparks, bullet puff sparks tweaked, caco fireball now has red sparkles and scatters red sparks on impact.

Revenant Fireball has a black cannonball center similar to the doom64 mancubus fireball, it looks more dangerous. The impact effects for this and the Caco Fireball also use a lower-scale smooth rocket explosion. If the duke3d explosions are turned on the Revenant Fireball causes a Quake 1 style explosion, complete with shower of sparks and sound effect.

Sound Effects Tweaks:
Duke3d explosion also plays the duke3d explosion overlaid with the standard one.
Standard explosion also plays the quake4 explosion overlaid with it (low volume, adds stoutness).
Beefy impact sound effect for heavy fireballs (noble, mancubus).
Beefy chaingun sound effect replacement, used for player and chaingunner alike.
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

ohh hohoho nifty! I see the Doom 64 gloves live again!
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

Almonds wrote:ohh hohoho nifty! I see the Doom 64 gloves live again!
No probably not, I may have a slightly older version of smooth doom which still has them available. I hear black gloves got dropped.

Im preparing to make a Smooth Doom Downgrade just so I can make more comprehensive changes than just the projectiles and also include gameplay altering stuff. Im also crap at any kind of scripting and cant do ACS so I would be scrapping existing functions (or setting them in stone) just so I could borrow the variables for switching other things. I think generally people like black gloves, explosion screen shaking, and monster variants so those are variables I can rename and recycle for other stuff. It would be a fork of the mod not an addon for it so id just be doing my own thing at that point.

(I think people would like to have something that makes gameplay changes but doesnt actually change the flavor of the game much from what it already is, it seems any kind of mod these days that alters gameplay just eschews all of the standard weapons with some other set and imposes a ton of gimmicks. There is also room I think for gameplay changes that fix existing problems with the game, like how rockets dont stun bosses any more than a plasma ball does, or how shotguns blow through a whole row of enemies but in Q1 or Duke they will gib or splatter alot of blood on the same enemy instead)
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

EDIT: Ignore me, Gifty is cool with it.
Spoiler: RSSwizard
Last edited by Devianteist on Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”