Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NathanVPer

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by NathanVPer »

Hi, emm i just want to ask if you can add an old version or something for the people with the same problem that i have replied time ago
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

Just picked up GZdoom 3.25 and upon copying my usual playthrough assortments, and doing the honorary first-time-setup for this version...

The Smooth Doom Options do not appear in the menu. I recall some kind of talk about how modded option menus would no longer be supported, but this is actually pretty killer for smooth doom since out of the box many of the smooth options are switched off... and there is no way to turn them on or select them.
Korell

Post by Korell »

RSSwizard wrote:Just picked up GZdoom 3.25 and upon copying my usual playthrough assortments, and doing the honorary first-time-setup for this version...

The Smooth Doom Options do not appear in the menu. I recall some kind of talk about how modded option menus would no longer be supported, but this is actually pretty killer for smooth doom since out of the box many of the smooth options are switched off... and there is no way to turn them on or select them.
The latest version of Smooth Doom does not have this issue. Go to Options and at the bottom you get an item named Smooth Doom Menu. Select this and you get to all of the Smooth Doom options.
mutton777

Post by mutton777 »

I have run into an issue with the latest version. Not sure if it has been mentioned yet or not, but I didn't see it in the searching.
With Smooth Doom enabled Bad Dream from Master Levels of Doom 2 is unplayable. It is fine until the ceiling starts crushing the 30-40 cyberdeamons.
Then performance goes from 120fps to 0.
I tried it with Smooth Doom disabled and the frame rate is constant and with it enabled it is constant until the ceiling starts hitting the monsters.
Korell

Post by Korell »

mutton777 wrote:I have run into an issue with the latest version. Not sure if it has been mentioned yet or not, but I didn't see it in the searching.
With Smooth Doom enabled Bad Dream from Master Levels of Doom 2 is unplayable. It is fine until the ceiling starts crushing the 30-40 cyberdeamons.
Then performance goes from 120fps to 0.
I tried it with Smooth Doom disabled and the frame rate is constant and with it enabled it is constant until the ceiling starts hitting the monsters.
This also happens with Brutal Doom v20b on the same map at the same point.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Hello! I'm Using GZDoom 325.
There are some script errors about "nodelay may only be used immediately after spawn". I'm not sure if it really breaks something.
hikari47

Post by hikari47 »

I'm not sure if anyone else has reported this but when I was playing in Doom II with Smooth Doom in The Crusher level, when I activate the crusher to try and kill the Spider Mastermind, my game's frame-rate began tearing itself apart (going from 60+ FPS to ~8 or less FPS) as the Spider Mastermind was taking damage from being crushed by the compacter in the level. I ran into this serious problem in since GZDoom v3.1.0. and onward, both in standalone form (with Doom II's IWAD by itself) and using WADSmoosh, and disabling a lot of lighting and texture options didn't help fix the frame-rate issue involving The Crusher or any other potential places where something like this could occur.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

If you disable blood splatters this should clear up. I've had a lot of people say they have problems with the Crusher, and I'm pretty sure it's always related to gore effects.
Korell

Post by Korell »

hikari47 wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else has reported this but when I was playing in Doom II with Smooth Doom in The Crusher level, when I activate the crusher to try and kill the Spider Mastermind, my game's frame-rate began tearing itself apart (going from 60+ FPS to ~8 or less FPS) as the Spider Mastermind was taking damage from being crushed by the compacter in the level. I ran into this serious problem in since GZDoom v3.1.0. and onward, both in standalone form (with Doom II's IWAD by itself) and using WADSmoosh, and disabling a lot of lighting and texture options didn't help fix the frame-rate issue involving The Crusher or any other potential places where something like this could occur.
I can confirm this. Just tested it out as it is pretty much at the start of Doom 2 Map06, and when the crusher gets low enough to start damaging the Spider Mastermind (he shows up on Ultra-Violence difficulty) then the framerate starts to drop, gradually getting worse until it is unplayable, and it doesn't recover once he dies. I then tested it out with no gameplay mod and with Brutal Doom v20b and the latest Brutal Doom v21 WIP version and neither of those have the issue (though the Brutal Doom mods both kill the Spider Mastermind almost instantly with the crusher as it makes him explode). Lastly, I tested Smooth Doom with the same map but on an easier difficulty setting where instead of the Spider Mastermind you get a Hell Knight, and there is no framerate issue present when the crusher kills him, so it looks like it might be due to the Smooth Doom Spider Mastermind.

EDIT: Just saw Gify's post that he made whilst I was testing it out for myself.
Gifty wrote:If you disable blood splatters this should clear up. I've had a lot of people say they have problems with the Crusher, and I'm pretty sure it's always related to gore effects.
And yes, turning off the Ground Splats in the Smooth Doom gore options makes it play fine when the crusher squashes the Spider Mastermind to death.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

This is a general problem with gore mods that put a bunch of stuff like blood on the ground in The Crusher. It doesn't happen to Brootal Doom because the Mastermind is set to die instantly upon being crushed.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Yeah, Beautiful Doom is fine with the crusher, too, and that doesn't leave a lot of blood on the floor either.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I've noticed that when you're reloading the D64 shotgun, a small part of Doomguy's left arm is missing in widescreen. The same frame in Doom 64 Retribution includes that part, and you plan on using that then I'd also like to request that you implement the mod's smooth Plasma Rifle recoil with it.
doomchaser

Post by doomchaser »

Hi! When I'm using Smooth Doom the game always starts with the pistol from doom64! How can I fix this?
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

me and my friend have low fps problems from blood splats but if you disable option for ground splats it works better,latest stable gzdoom
SeventhSentinel

Post by SeventhSentinel »

I would really like if there was some way to simply limit the amount of blood splatter present in a map. I tend to have to turn it on or off depending on the map, would be nice to just limit it to 100 or 200 splats to prevent this.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”