Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gifty

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by Gifty »

Obviously the rules aren't mine to make, but I'd like to add that for my part I'm cool with people posting their submods in here.
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

Devianteist wrote:EDIT: Ignore me, Gifty is cool with it.
My default was to post it as a separate mod thread here in Gameplay Mods except that since this is technically a mod on a mod and is completely dependent on Smooth Doom so it isnt really standalone, and its not a simple gameplay mod or patch on zdoom because of that, so this was about the only place it could go and get proper visibility. I keep referencing the post address for people to go get it, but I don't plan on derailing the thread with a discussion about it.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Hello, I'm here with a bug report, the new changes since 2015 are very sweet BTW

Using the newest version of GZDoom.

-The vanilla BFG is twitching to the sides slightly when fired.
-Doom 64's rocket launcher and bfg still recoil even when recoil is disabled.
-The rifle uses vanilla gloves even when playing with Doom 64 assets.
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

have something I cobbled up over the course of 2 days. patches the jiggling BFG, some recoil issues, and gets rid of some minor problems related to the plasma rifle and its pickup and ready sprite names, causing it to freak out when the mod is loaded alongside stuff like custom voxel packs.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i5ez24zmc ... m.pk3/file

as for the rifle, work has yet to begin on its doom 64 counterpart. I may or may not have plans for it that may or may not see the light of day eventually :3c.

also here's a link to an earlier version of the mod for posterity's sake. includes the 64 muzzleflashes on vanilla guns and viceversa, and the black gloves for both spritesets.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6rxovbr6i ... r.pk3/file

aaaand a link to my weapons only version of the mod just in case anyone feels like screwing around with it. originally posted several pages back.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/trk7yt4v9 ... y.pk3/file
Last edited by Almonds on Sat May 26, 2018 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

One specific angle of the chaingunner's attack frames still jitters back and forth, just like in vanilla Doom. A future-proof way to ensure no more offset related graphical anomalies occur would be to base the mod's (non-modified/added) sprites off the Minor Sprite Fixing Project for example.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Question...

Why is it that only some of the monsters have XDeath state sequences? They have a "GibDeath" state sequence, but none of them are labelled XDeath, so then stuff that has the EXTREMEDEATH flag won't cause them to automatically enter that state sequence...
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

so I noticed some incongruities while meandering about the super shotgun and plasma gun decorate files.

turns out the SSG was falling a couple tics shorter in its firing state compared to its vanilla counterpart (58 vs 62), and in the case of the plasma gun, the 'cooldown' animation was almost 4 tics longer than OG plasma. it was also firing in bursts of three onwards per long tap instead of two onwards.

also, uh, the BFG pickup sprite was named something else besides BFUGA0. I'm unsure as to why it was like that, and I found no reason for it so I swapped it back.

I've updated the file in the link provided above (first one). make sure to check it out! I'll be back with some changes for the enemies, and I promise to get around to solving the 'shaking in place' issue with the chaingunners' offsets mentioned earlier.
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

RSSwizard wrote:Ive decided to post my Smooth Doom Projectile Upgrade here. Its gotten repeated acclaim on the doom general in /vr and a link in the news post, but so far it hasnt gotten much visibility because people keep asking about it. This is a patch/add on to smooth doom that has to be put after it in the load order. Ive included (but kept separate) a palette wad I strongly recommend using with it (based on the 1024 palette).
I would also like to say ive completed the Color Changing Zombies project that I promised I would do. No dice for the shotgun sergeant yet, but the Smooth Vanilla Trooper and Smooth Vanilla Chainguy have been changed to allow color translations to be easily applied. Notes are included with the .PK3 (no decorate) in case you want to use them in a standard capacity - sample translation sets are provided to return them to looking mostly the way they originally did.

The graphics could be loaded as-is but without applying a replacement to them in decorate all you would get is the untranslated versions (green uniform zombie trooper, chainguy with green armor and blue boots/pants). So this is just a graphics pack not a mod.

Get It Here:
https://mega.nz/#!3gJmWAba!jddg5DAg0Pzo ... Hs9einKbtE

Almonds wrote:so I noticed some incongruities while meandering about the super shotgun and plasma gun decorate files. Turns out the SSG was falling a couple tics shorter in its firing state compared to its vanilla counterpart (58 vs 62), and in the case of the plasma gun, the 'cooldown' animation was almost 4 tics longer than OG plasma. it was also firing in bursts of three onwards per long tap instead of two onwards.
There's also another problem with the SSG which is technically a vanilla bug that was preserved in zdoom. When the reloading sound functions are called they are on CHAN_WEAPON which means that the DSDSHTGN firing sound is cut off as soon as the

These reloading sound functions need to be replaced with conventional A_Playsound commands which play those sounds without a dedicated channel so that they arent interfering with anything. I eschewed this entirely in my fork by taking the remasterSFX sounds and making a new sound effect that plays all three in sequence at the rate indicated by the frame tics, but that isnt really necessary.

The reason I brought it up is because in Smooth Doom the weapons code is a hairy nasty mess and altering this will require having to change all 3 loading sound functions in about 6-12 different state blocks, a tall committed venture for anyone wanting to change it themselves, so this is a bug that should be changed in Smooth Doom itself.
Attachments
CPOS recolor 2.png
CPOS recolor 2.png (4.98 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
color changing zombie.png
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

I've no clue what it is about me and taking on daunting tasks that others would deem insufferable or exhausting to perform for no real reason, but I've been tickling about with SD's code for a while now and I've kinda grown accustomed to the absolute wreckage that callACS and its derivates bring to this plane of existence :P

absolutely not by any stretch comparable to the work you put out, but I harken back to my days with the code for the black and doom 64 gloves, and boy I'll tell you it was some of the most... memorable iterations of the 'see jane, see jane run, run jane run' ordeal I've had to endure xDD. weigh in the shell casings and recoil functions for good measure, hours upon hours of fun are ensured trying to figure out where does it hurt haha.

bit of an exaggeration, I actually did have fun tweaking the mod. it was an almost cathartic experience in a sense :lol:
bisousbisous

Post by bisousbisous »

Is there a fix available/would it be possible to make it so you can turn off gibs from stuff like rocket launchers, but still allow gibs to be made if you have the Super Shotgun Gibs Enemies option turned on? I like how satisfying it is but hate how my FPS turns to mush if I rocket launcher a group of enemies with gibs enabled.
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

bisousbisous wrote:Is there a fix available/would it be possible to make it so you can turn off gibs from stuff like rocket launchers, but still allow gibs to be made if you have the Super Shotgun Gibs Enemies option turned on? I like how satisfying it is but hate how my FPS turns to mush if I rocket launcher a group of enemies with gibs enabled.
Rocket Launchers do so much damage that they are going to cause XDeath on that merit alone. It could be fixed by giving rockets they're own damage type (and in the beginning frames of its impact state, set the damage type to the rocket damage type just to make sure the A_Explode deals the same kind - for some reason gzdoom forgets which damage type an entity would cause after it dies).

Give monsters a custom death state based on that damage type, check if "No Rocket Gibs" is turned on, and if no gibbing go to their normal death state. Or have some random chance to reach XDeath/GibDeath so that it still causes gibs, but only just 1/4 or 1/10 as often.

There are some monsters with no XDeath they just check if health is -30 or worse in the death state, so the RocketDamage.Death state would have to copy their first couple frames and then jump to Death+X so that it evades that health check.

--- Im also of the recommendation that the SSG gib capabilities should be a gameplay altering effect.
To consolidate damage on a single target without allowing overpenetration (duke3d style) so it generates a hell of alot of blood splatters even on zombies and imps, and if they take too much damage they pop.

This can supposedly be done by delivering 0 or 1 damage point hitscans using a special puff. The Puff does something like PuffGetsOwner and then calls A_DamageTracer in the puff during the space of time where 0 tics have elapsed.

This could be delivered as 4 attacks for example, one big one delivering 11 pellets first, while the remaining three deliver 3 pellets each (1 tic later). Encouraging that it could only gib one enemy up close.

--- Secondarily id also recommend that, much like the heavy hitters, all the monsters should be sent to their gib state when they reach -30 health or worse. Meaning that Imps gib at 90dmg, Chaingunners at 100dmg, and Pinkies at 180dmg. This allows removing the extreme death flag from the rocket launcher altogether, and would make sure that those two enemies could be properly gibbed by the plasma rifle too.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

So this might be an old (or dumb) question, but will this mod eventually be expanded to include smooth versions of the doom64 monsters? I understand how huge of a task that is, but I figured since there's already the option for the doom64 weapon set that the next logical step would be enemies. And if ambition really skyrockets, maybe even allow cvars for doom64 textures, sounds, and even music for the ultimate smooth enhancement.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Almonds wrote:have something I cobbled up over the course of 2 days. patches the jiggling BFG, some recoil issues, and gets rid of some minor problems related to the plasma rifle and its pickup and ready sprite names, causing it to freak out when the mod is loaded alongside stuff like custom voxel packs.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i5ez24zmc ... m.pk3/file

as for the rifle, work has yet to begin on its doom 64 counterpart. I may or may not have plans for it that may or may not see the light of day eventually :3c.

also here's a link to an earlier version of the mod for posterity's sake. includes the 64 muzzleflashes on vanilla guns and viceversa, and the black gloves for both spritesets.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6rxovbr6i ... r.pk3/file

aaaand a link to my weapons only version of the mod just in case anyone feels like screwing around with it. originally posted several pages back.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/trk7yt4v9 ... y.pk3/file
Minor bug report about the WeaponsOnly-Version: the infrared googles are invisible because the smooth sprites are missing, I just copied them from Smooth Doom and that did it.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

Apologies for the bump, but Doomguy's face at 50% health is a little buggy.
When looking to the left, his forehead looks to the right
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Bullet & shell casings activate shootable switches.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”