Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gorec

Re: Smooth Doom [UPDATE 5/16/19]

Post by Gorec »

any shotgun does not leave decals on walls
i redownloaded the mod and bug about 64 shotgun with no muzzleflash is solved,but black gloves ssg still has some animation problem(its barely seen but its there)
DoomCATO

Post by DoomCATO »

Is there a way for the Casings in the Black Glove Pistol to be remove when its turned off or is it belt that way.
Ac!d

Post by Ac!d »

This file contain the code and the sprites of a new version for the Doom64 Rifle, take it if you want.

Sprites made by :
- YukiHerz Recreated D64 Beta Rocket Launcher
- Me (Ac!d) (Just add a new muzzleflash -> Sprite MCHGD0)

Code made by Me. (Ac!d)
Attachments
Doom 64 Rifle.wad
(26.72 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Sprite MCHGD0
Sprite MCHGD0
MCHGD0.png (6.19 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
Last edited by Ac!d on Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickCometh

Post by NickCometh »

Overall, I really enjoy the mod. I haven't personally encountered any bugs (I think), but if there's one thing I have to touch on, it's the shotgun's firing speed. It's off by a little more than a hair, but if you hold footage of Doom's standard shotgun next to footage of Smooth Doom's shotgun, after a few seconds Doom's shotgun will clearly be much faster. To the more technically inclined folks, this issue is just a quick fix in SLADE, I'm sure. However, either something is wrong with SLADE or the mod, because I can't get the speed to change at all. In the next update, it would be nice is you could fix that issue so people with little to no knowledge of code (such as myself) can enjoy the mod even more. As Mark Brown said, "Doom is something of a dance", and the fluidity of a dance can be completely eradicated if a rhythm is off even m=by a minuscule amount. Again, this is an amazing mod, but it still has a little ways to go before I'd consider it perfect
Ac!d

Post by Ac!d »

if there's one thing I have to touch on, it's the shotgun's firing speed. It's off by a little more than a hair, but if you hold footage of Doom's standard shotgun next to footage of Smooth Doom's shotgun, after a few seconds Doom's shotgun will clearly be much faster.
:geek:

This is the code (Fire State) from the Smooth Doom Shotgun :

Code: Select all

Fire:
		XTSG A 3 // <Sprite> <Frame(s)> <Duration> [<Action>]
		XTSG B 3 bright A_FireShotgun
		XTSG CD 2 bright
		XTSG AF 1
		XTSG GH 2
		XTSG I 2
		SGXT a 2
		XTSG JK 2
		XTSG L 5
		XTSG MJIHG 2
		XTSG F 1
		XTSG A 4 A_ReFire
		Goto Ready
And this one, from the Original Doom Shotgun :

Code: Select all

Fire:
               SHTG A 3
               SHTG A 7 A_FireShotgun
               SHTG BC 5
               SHTG D 4
               SHTG CB 5
               SHTG A 3
               SHTG A 7 A_ReFire
               Goto Ready
Something smooth doesn't mean that it could be faster.
The signification of a frame number
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I just tallied up the tic counts...

Vanilla Doom's shotgun runs 37 tics of animation before it reaches the Refire state.

Smooth Doom's runs for 40.

What's worth noting is that, despite the tic counts technically adding up (44 each including refire), refire jumps immediately at the start of the state, it does not run the sprite and duration assigned to it if the trigger is held down. So yes, the Smooth shotgun is 3 tics slower than vanilla.
NickCometh

Post by NickCometh »

Something smooth doesn't mean that it could be faster.
What does that mean? That grammar doesn't make much sense, because an animation can be smooth and fast. A youtuber by the name of Civvie11 is doing a series on Doom, and he tweaked the duration values for the shotgun's animations to where it matched Vanilla Doom's shotgun pretty well.
Ac!d

Post by Ac!d »

That grammar doesn't make much sense
I understand that my grammar is not quite correct, but I'm working on it everyday.
Civvie11 is doing a series on Doom, and he tweaked the duration values for the shotgun's animations to where it matched Vanilla Doom's shotgun pretty well.
I've seen his videos, and he explains why he uses SmoothDoom insted of the Vanilla version. (From his point of view, the animation of the shotgun is "broken".)
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

Was moving all status bar improvements to an optional addon just like textures ever considered? Or making them a toggle in options, if that is even possible?
A lot of WADs have their own status bars that some (like me) would like to keep while playing with Smooth Doom.
Negostrike
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Negostrike »

Is it only me or monsters don't leave blood drops on the floor anymore? I miss them.
Besides that, brilliant work.
ngetal

Post by ngetal »

Does anyone have a link to previous versions of Smooth Doom, given the few issues with the current version?
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

ngetal wrote:Does anyone have a link to previous versions of Smooth Doom, given the few issues with the current version?
I don't but I can suggest similar mods.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=50004
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=58191
ngetal

Post by ngetal »

Rowsol wrote:I can suggest similar mods.
Thank you. Been using Beautiful Doom since its latest update, it's quite nice. I should learn how to edit mods, my preference would be a mix of Beautiful and Smooth.
konamikode

Post by konamikode »

hope the "zombieman corpse blocking the player" bug is fixed soon. i tried fixing it myself, but i couldnt figure out how to make it happen
EmperorGrieferus

Post by EmperorGrieferus »

ngetal wrote:
Rowsol wrote:I can suggest similar mods.
Thank you. Been using Beautiful Doom since its latest update, it's quite nice. I should learn how to edit mods, my preference would be a mix of Beautiful and Smooth.
I already did it. But I only added death animations from Beautiful Doom and made weapons animations smoother and similar at tics count as vanilla.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”