Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Iniquitatis
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Smooth Doom [UPDATE 6/15/19]

Post by Iniquitatis »

@Gifty, thanks for the update and especially for fixing this shotgun issue. =)
Are you still in the way of merging Smooth Doom with Dead Marine? Because I loved the latter a lot, and I'm still looking forward to the single ultimate package.

Also, the topic title still says "UPDATE 6/15/19".
Thorogrimm

Re: Smooth Doom [UPDATE 9/25/19]

Post by Thorogrimm »

Will it be possible to do a smoothed FreeDoom weaponset alongside all the other ones like Doom64 and blackgloves?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

@Iniquiatis, thanks! I definitely want to port over more of the work I did on Dead Marine, it's just a matter of whether or not I can make that stuff modular/optional. I need to brush up on my Zscript to make this happen!

(Also thanks! Changed the thread title for real this time)

@Thorogrimm Unfortunately it would be a ton of work to do smooth passes of all the Freedom weapons, even though that would be great. I had once planned to do another set of Doom Alpha-themed weapons but that ended up getting pushed to the backburner for similar reasons. Also, I've realized that the more weapon options I add the more the code becomes an un-debuggable mess!
sdaa

Post by sdaa »

Infinite BFG ammo in new version.
40KN

Post by 40KN »

@Gifty, have you ever considered implementing support for other id Tech 1 games (e.g., Heretic, Hexen, Strife)?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

40KN wrote:@Gifty, have you ever considered implementing support for other id Tech 1 games (e.g., Heretic, Hexen, Strife)?
Long, long ago, when the Earth was young...
...I started working on smooth weapons for Heretic, but quickly realized that tackling a whole other game was going to be hundreds and hundreds of hours of work, so I decided to just stick to Doom. :P
MaxVonSydoww

Post by MaxVonSydoww »

This problem is still there in the newly released version of smoothdoom, does anyone know of a fix for this?

Postby MaxVonSydoww » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:05 pm
I just noticed that the hell knights projectile attack does not use colored lightning like the baron of hell when i run smooth doom.
When i run just vanilla gzdoom it has colored lightning like every other enemy attack, is this a bug or is there something i am not aware of?

Running latest version of gzdoom and smoothdoom.
King_Epitaph

Post by King_Epitaph »

Turin Turambar wrote:Have anyone done a fork or whatever of this, with only the monster animations? To have more compatibility with other mods.
Seconding this, is there a monsters only version?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

There used to be, but I didn't have the time to maintain two separate SmoothDoom archives so I stopped supporting the monsters-only version. You can create your own monsters-only version if you know a little bit about SLADE!
Equus

Post by Equus »

@Gifty Have you seen this? Also, would you consider animations for pulling out weapons and putting them away like the shotguns equip animation in Dead Marine and bringing the particle effects from Dead Marine aswell?
Sp4zzmatica

Post by Sp4zzmatica »

So, I've been trying to disable the weapons in Smooth Doom so that it could be compatible with Final Doomer. But GZDoom just doesn't load the game and says "no player class defined". I'd really appreciate some help because I'm kind of a noob when it comes to using SLADE.
okbuddy

Post by okbuddy »

If you commented out all of the player/weapons entries in the DECORATE list be sure to also delete the KEYCONF file too. Also I had to delete the WEAPONS file from the SPRITES folder because it was using the included sprites as replacements. GZDoom will throw a few gldefs flags for the missing player class/weapons and some for the rifle zombieman, but since you won't be using those weapons it shouldn't affect anything. Lastly be sure to load final doomer after smooth doom. You may still get some conflicts though. I'm not sure what that mod does as far as monster/ammo replacements. Hope that helps.
Sp4zzmatica

Post by Sp4zzmatica »

okbuddy wrote:If you commented out all of the player/weapons entries in the DECORATE list be sure to also delete the KEYCONF file too. Also I had to delete the WEAPONS file from the SPRITES folder because it was using the included sprites as replacements. GZDoom will throw a few gldefs flags for the missing player class/weapons and some for the rifle zombieman, but since you won't be using those weapons it shouldn't affect anything. Lastly be sure to load final doomer after smooth doom. You may still get some conflicts though. I'm not sure what that mod does as far as monster/ammo replacements. Hope that helps.
Works like a charm! Thanks dude, you're great!
GreenDoomguy1999

Post by GreenDoomguy1999 »

Bugs
-The flash of a super shotgun with vanilla and black gloves does not light up at all (screenshot with dynamic light turned off)
Screenshot_Doom_20191022_172216.png
-The flash of a super shotgun with black gloves having missed pixels in it
Screenshot_Doom_20191022_173917.png
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Thanks! Didn't catch that, I'll incorporate that into the next version.

Got improved walk cycles for the imp and chaingunner coming up next.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”