Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: Smooth Doom (SOME SHIT IS FIXED!)

Post by drfrag »

For me it works with ZDoom32 2.8.2, apparently runs fine.
lwks

Post by lwks »

Where are the alternative weapon skin options?
∞Phantasm

Post by ∞Phantasm »

Zandronum 3.0 Fatal Error:
Execution could not continue.
Script error, "SmoothDoom.pk3:deco/monsters/zombieman.txt" line 89:
Expected string constant but got '+' instead.

GZDOOM 3.2.0.0:
Seems to work fine.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Smooth Doom (NOW HAS A THEME SONG!)

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Here is your answer:
Gifty wrote:-temporarily disabled weapon skins while I fix up the code and make better sprites (glove color is still an option)
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

SD also has never supported Zandronum so there's gonna be a lot of shit that won't work in there.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Cool! Did you create a 3D model or is that all just skillful spriting?
Sprites! :ugeek:
∞Phantasm

Post by ∞Phantasm »

Gifty wrote:SD also has never supported Zandronum so there's gonna be a lot of shit that won't work in there.
Well it at least seemed like it worked and launched the game before with Zandronum before the past 2 updates. Isn't there a way to make a Zandronum version so people can use this with multiplayer? Its a pretty essential mod for base DOOMs and I hate to see it single player only. Not sure what makes it not work in Zandronum, but maybe its just code that needs small tweaks? I wouldn't think SmoothDoom has any features that Zandronum 3.0 doesn't support.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Suggestion: if the Rifle is enabled, give it a higher priority than the Pistol, so that it does not automatically switch to it when you do not have the Chaingun and run out of the other ammo types.
pikio96

Post by pikio96 »

Gifty wrote:Here's something which hopefully will be finished soon:

I'd like to go back eventually and redo a lot of the monster animations, some of them are very old and poorly done and I can definitely do a better job now.
I can live without weapon skins forever with the redone sprites. This is amazing Gifty.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Jesus Christ it really looks like 90s prerendered 3d graphics with how smooth that is. The head kinda looks out of place due to that now, though.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Yeah the head snapping awkwardly was mostly an alignment issue while making the GIF, it was a little rough. It looks better now! Started on the other rotations yesterday. c:
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Suggestion: if the Rifle is enabled, give it a higher priority than the Pistol, so that it does not automatically switch to it when you do not have the Chaingun and run out of the other ammo types.
Good idea; thanks!

Another patch is incoming with a fixed black-glove pistol; I'm going to try and push it out soon, relay your small fix needs to me and I'll try to get them in!
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

Brightmaps would be really appropriate in this mod imho
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Gifty wrote:Here's something which hopefully will be finished soon:

I'd like to go back eventually and redo a lot of the monster animations, some of them are very old and poorly done and I can definitely do a better job now.
That looks incredible- the only downside being the rather jarring snap from the ending frame back to the beginning frame, unless of course there'll be more frames between when it's finished.

About the only complaint I have with Smooth Doom at the moment is the rather superfluous nature of the rifle; make its accuracy 1 degree or so, up the damage by a few points, and it'd become a useful little sniper rifle for the odd faraway Imp or Chaingunner, as opposed to the "i'd use this but the Chaingun is infinitely superior, I get it by MAP03, and before that anyway the Shotgun is good enough" problem it's facing.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

NotSoHazy wrote:Brightmaps would be really appropriate in this mod imho
Seconded
GreenDoomguy1999

Post by GreenDoomguy1999 »

I think once the fist is again without gloves, it's probably the reason to add a new option "Fist with / without gloves" (personally I liked the fist in gloves)
Also I do not remember it, the blood flies and falls on the heads of monsters and the player (if not mistaken in the old versions, the blood fell to the floor through the monsters)

Gorec

Post by Gorec »

kickback option doesnt work on pistol

Return to “Gameplay Mods”