Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HeemboGlobin

Re: Smooth Doom [UPDATE 9/25/19]

Post by HeemboGlobin »

Hey thanks so much for checking into it Kazudra! I tried cracking the file open previously myself in Slade but I had absolutely no idea what I was doing so out of curiosity I just tried changing the tint on the sprites that were spawning incorrectly to green, which fixed the knight/baron but obviously made everyone else bleed a little green too lol.

Anyway I just tried Smooth Doom out with your edit and that seems to have done the trick and fixed the green blood issue, very much appreciated! :cheers:
DosDoomer
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by DosDoomer »

Does it work with DosBox? Because I want to run it with dosbox. That's the only sourceport that I can use.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them

Post by wildweasel »

DosDoomer wrote:Does it work with DosBox? Because I want to run it with dosbox. That's the only sourceport that I can use.
Nope - this needs a recent ZDoom. What operating system do you run?
okbuddy

Post by okbuddy »

You could try this for DOSBox. It's just weapons though, no monsters.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... h-weapons/
VGA

Post by VGA »

DosDoomer wrote:Does it work with DosBox? Because I want to run it with dosbox. That's the only sourceport that I can use.
I am pretty sure Doom running under Dosbox is more demanding than some source ports ...
acridAxid

Post by acridAxid »

I think you should Just Try It.

This post triggered a memory that "DOSBox Distro" existed so I dug up the VOGONS thread and sure enough the last post in it is from just yesterday where someone trying to get mods and TCs running on it. If this is what you're asking about, you are confused as to what "DOSBox Distro" is doing (hint: DOSBox has nothing to do with it at all) which is why no one here can make sense of what you're talking about; your questions will be best answered by the people over in that thread, not here.
Jamie Faith
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Jamie Faith »

Will you be adding the vanilla doom 64 weapons back in anytime soon? I love the doom64 guns but I hate how they change the gameplay. I wish they functioned exactly like vanilla guns do.

Anyway, love the mod! Keep up the good work!
kinker31
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by kinker31 »

This mod's quite neat, though I was wondering if you're able to release a separate version that has only the SmoothDoom monsters, if say you wanna run something like Trailblazer, Russian Overkill, Highway Accelerator, and various other weapon mods. Shouldn't be too hard, you'd just have to remove anything weapon-related (and maybe the Smooth powerups as a toggle if there's health/armor replacements [like Russian Overkill] or not), but if you don't wanna, that's totally understandable, it's still a very great mod notheless!
HeemboGlobin

Post by HeemboGlobin »

I noticed when running Nashgore with Smooth Doom (running them both through ZDL, Nashgore under SD in load order) for some reason imp fireball sprite animations bug out weirdly, and I don't understand why because as far as I can tell Nashgore doesn't edit projectiles.

https://imgur.com/a/KoU93aj

If I load SD after NG, the fireballs thrown by imps seem normal again but I get another issue where some bullet impacts spawn imp fireball sprites on the enemy.

https://imgur.com/nTx8S2P

Is there a way to fix it so they can run together? Or maybe they do work and I'm just doing something wrong?
acridAxid

Post by acridAxid »

Known issue; see the Nashgore thread.
Embell

Post by Embell »

i Have one Bug, the BFG9000 have infinite ammo ... how to fix that ?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Hi all. It's update day! I had planned to finish a bunch more animation overhauls to make it more of a substantive change, but it's been dragging on for so long I decided it would be wiser to put out a couple small fires while everyone waits.

changelist:
-Fixed BFG infinite ammo bug
-fixed shotgun muzzle flash BRIGHT tags
-Chaingunner walk cycle redone from scratch
-fixed Cacodemon death bug (Thanks acridAxid!)

I've been experimenting with Interprite, the sprite interpolating utility, and it's been getting some pretty rad results. First thing I'm working on right now is a total overhaul of the Imp. I had planned to include that in this update but it'll be a while longer before the sprite set is completely done.
HeemboGlobin

Post by HeemboGlobin »

Ah I see where it was mentioned after doing a search, sorry I should have checked first, my bad!
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Gifty, I'm very curious what are you cooking about the IMP.

Do you have any advice to share after using Interprite?

I f.ex. can say:
1. dont use Advance Morph
2. ctrl+mouse click can change existing bone
3. if you load single frame from previous direction, you can save time on not renaming body parts
4. copy paste parts of frame, instead of trying to fix every single one - less work, and less tweach-ing in motion.

1. use IrfanView to mass change BMP<>PNG, with changing canvas size. [File > Batch conversion]
2. use AdvancedRenamer to mass change file names (letter/number counters, sign changing - this tool can literally adjust any names to my needs)

edit:
74. Often you use the same frame in sequence - like in walking aBcB. You can copy paste the ready (with BONE and MEAT) frame nr 2, to the end (at the gray help screen) as frame nr 4.
condor67

Post by condor67 »

Hi Gifty,

Is there any chance you'll be someday porting Smooth Doom for Doomsday Engine?

I've been playing Doom 2 with your mod using GZDoom for quite a while, but the game looks really cool on Doomsday with all the bloom effects and lighting etc :D

Congratulations for the terrific job, your mod absolutely rips!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”