Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NotSoHazy

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by NotSoHazy »

How can I change direction of bullet casings? I want them to pop out from the left side of chaingun.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Korell wrote:
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I tried your advice, but alas, it does not. :(
I wonder, then, does the issue also affect the Pinkie Demon, and not just the spectre?
Did you put Goto Death at the end of that state sequence, as I mentioned earlier?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: Smooth Doom (SOME SHIT IS FIXED!)

Post by drfrag »

∞Phantasm wrote:
Gifty wrote:SD also has never supported Zandronum so there's gonna be a lot of shit that won't work in there.
Well it at least seemed like it worked and launched the game before with Zandronum before the past 2 updates. Isn't there a way to make a Zandronum version so people can use this with multiplayer? Its a pretty essential mod for base DOOMs and I hate to see it single player only. Not sure what makes it not work in Zandronum, but maybe its just code that needs small tweaks? I wouldn't think SmoothDoom has any features that Zandronum 3.0 doesn't support.
I've investigated the crash and removing the '+2' from the following lines makes it crash with AddOptionMenu instead.

TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(CallACS("Gibtoggle")==0, +2)
tnt1 a 0 A_JumpIf(CallACS("CasingToggle")==0, +2)

Crashes both with Zandronum and ZDoom LE, ZDoom32 works and porting AddOptionMenu as i stated earlier was really easy. But i don't know if it will crash somewhere else (Zandronum is based on 2.7.1 while LE is 2.8.1a).
Does that '+' really add something? It's not even mentioned in the wiki.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Blue Shadow wrote:
Korell wrote:
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I tried your advice, but alas, it does not. :(
I wonder, then, does the issue also affect the Pinkie Demon, and not just the spectre?
Did you put Goto Death at the end of that state sequence, as I mentioned earlier?
No, as if you check the other monsters, none of them have a Goto Death in their Death.GibbyHaynes state. Instead they have two lines within the GibbyHaynes state, one an A_JumpIf that goes to the Death state and the other an A_JumpIfCloser that goes to a different death state (in the case of the demon and spectre, to their GibDeath state). If the issue is indeed a missing Goto Death, then why isn't that issue present for all the other monsters that have a GibbyHaynes state as those also have no Goto Death?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Without a flow control keyword to direct to the next state, they fall through to the Death state, since that's the state that comes next.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

It seems to be working. Thanks, Blue Shadow!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Then perhaps Death.GibbyHaynes should be defined above Death like for the demon.

About Zandronum the crash is fixed on my side, the AddOptionMenu part, so now it works with LE removing the '+' from the '+2'. But i don't know when the '+' option was added to jumps, i think that must be to allow negative jumps.
The commit is here but i don't know if it could be applied directly to Zandro:
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/com ... 7cf5eeb87a
Korell

Post by Korell »

Blue Shadow wrote:Without a flow control keyword to direct to the next state, they fall through to the Death state, since that's the state that comes next.
Which is why I re-ordered the GibbyHaynes state in the smoothspectre actor so that it comes before Death state, just as it does for the SmoothDemon actor, but JohnnyTheWolf was saying that it still didn't fix it. Here's the code I'm using:

Code: Select all

ACTOR smoothspectre : spectre
{
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		SARG AB 10 fast A_Look
		Loop
	See:
		SSRG AABCDDEF 2 fast A_Chase
		Loop
	Melee:
		SSRG G 8 fast A_FaceTarget
		SSRG GGGHIII 1 fast A_FaceTarget
		SSRG J 1 fast
		SSRG K 1 fast A_SargAttack
		SSRG L 4 fast
		SSRG G 3 fast
		Goto See
	Pain:
		SSRG M 1 fast
		SSRG N 2 fast
		SSRG M 1 fast A_Pain
		Goto See
	Death.GibbyHaynes:
		TNT1 A 0
		TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(CallACS("StudioGibbly")==0, "Death")
		TNT1 A 0
		TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfCloser(128, "GibDeath")
		TNT1 A 0
	Death:
		TNT1 a 0 A_JumpIfHealthLower(-30,"Gibdeath")
		SSRD A 3
		SSRD B 3 A_Scream
		SSRD C 3
		SSRD D 3 A_NoBlocking
		SSRD EFGH 3
		SSRD I -1
		Stop
	GibDeath:
		SARG o 3
		SARG p 0 a_playsound ("misc/gibbed")
		SARG p 3 a_scream
		SARG q 3
		SARG r 3 a_noblocking
		SARG stuvw 3
		SARG x -1
		stop
	}
}
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Actually, I did not reorder the code; I just copied the two missing TNT1 lines from smoothdemon. :?
Korell

Post by Korell »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Actually, I did not reorder the code; I just copied the two missing TNT1 lines from smoothdemon. :?
Ah, that's probably it then. My fix was the re-ordering of the GibbyHaynes state; the two additional lines were just something I'd noticed but they may well be intentionally not present for the spectre so I left that alone.
DutchDoomGuy

Post by DutchDoomGuy »

Im using latest Zdoom and doom2 wad and Its not working.. So Its either a problem with Zdoom OR doom2?? How do i make it work?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

You'll need to use (depending on the capabilities of your machine): latest GZDoom, GZDoom 2.4, ZDoom32 (unofficial 2.8.2) or next ZDoom LE (for now) provided Gifty removes the '+'.
Something on my TODO list is compiling LE and 32 for linux.
BTW there were some major changes to decorate back in 2016 and about that '+' it was never allowed there and AFAIK negative jumps cannot be performed anyway so i don't see why adding the '+'. Unless i'm missing something of course.
∞Phantasm

Re: Smooth Doom (SOME SHIT IS FIXED!)

Post by ∞Phantasm »

drfrag wrote:
∞Phantasm wrote:
Gifty wrote:SD also has never supported Zandronum so there's gonna be a lot of shit that won't work in there.
Well it at least seemed like it worked and launched the game before with Zandronum before the past 2 updates. Isn't there a way to make a Zandronum version so people can use this with multiplayer? Its a pretty essential mod for base DOOMs and I hate to see it single player only. Not sure what makes it not work in Zandronum, but maybe its just code that needs small tweaks? I wouldn't think SmoothDoom has any features that Zandronum 3.0 doesn't support.
I've investigated the crash and removing the '+2' from the following lines makes it crash with AddOptionMenu instead.

TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(CallACS("Gibtoggle")==0, +2)
tnt1 a 0 A_JumpIf(CallACS("CasingToggle")==0, +2)

Crashes both with Zandronum and ZDoom LE, ZDoom32 works and porting AddOptionMenu as i stated earlier was really easy. But i don't know if it will crash somewhere else (Zandronum is based on 2.7.1 while LE is 2.8.1a).
Does that '+' really add something? It's not even mentioned in the wiki.
I'd certainly make an alternate Zandronum version if I could, but I know **** all about this stuff at the moment. Unfortunately, some people don't give a crap about co-op or multiplayer when making their mods. Thanks for looking into it.
cloudropis

Post by cloudropis »

I downloaded Smooth Doom as my first mod a few months ago. I started it with the Doom2 wad through ZDLauncher, using GZDoom, and it worked fine. Unfortunately I had to deactivate after a few minutes after realizing I couldn't load my mod-less saves with it activated.
A few days ago I picked up Classic Doom again, wanted to start Doom 1 anew with Smooth Doom active, and I quickly realized the mod didn't seem to work anymore. I immediately noticed because the shotgun pump-up animation wasn't the smooth goodness I experienced for a few minutes months ago, it was just the vanilla animation. I literally haven't touched my Classic Doom folder since that time the mod worked, I have no idea what caused it to randomly stop working like that. I didn't update ZDL, GZL or the mod itself, I didn't touch any of the settings, it just... Doesn't work anymore.
Any idea what might have caused this? I tried downloading the latest SmoothDoom version but this one doesn't start at all, giving me a Couldn't find AddOptionMenu error when trying to start GZDoom
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Are you using GZDoom 3.2? Versions from here and above have the MENUDEF format completely restructured... so, many menus that used to work will no longer work.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”