Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by drfrag »

Of course not but that's not how it works. As i said those are missing states and it's a mod side bug, it's harmless tough.
If i'm not wrong in recent GZDoom those error messages are supposed to appear only in developer mode, 'developer' cvar, but they are not shown. I think it's a GZDoom bug (i posted about it somewhere) and that's why (as far as i remember) i didn't apply that patch but's it's on my pending stuff list.
ZDoom LE won't run the mod since Gifty still keeps the "+ from the +2" there and for older versions that was a syntactic bug while for recent ones just doesn't make much sense (i might eventually release another pirated version).
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

@Gifty, would you mind adding a CVAR or menu toggle for faster weapon switching à la de-/select states with two A_Lower/Raise codepointers?
acridAxid wrote:I really missed fast weapon switching (since Smooth Doom breaks this older .WAD I was using), so I added support for it to Smooth Doom with a supplemental .pk3; just load it after Smooth Doom and it shouldn't break anything, you'll need to enable it in the Smooth Doom Menu under Options, it's off by default.

I don't plan on maintaining this, so I'm hoping these changes will be merged back into the author's base... If you choose to use my changes, please just give a thank you wherever you normally do that.

EDIT: Guess I didn't test well enough, a playthrough tonight revealed an issue after picking up the rifle. I know I picked up the rifle to test swapping to and from it at one point..? An 'idkfa' will restore the weapons. I won't get a chance to look at it for another day or two at least.
Basically an integration of acridAxid's addon on page 88 :)
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

Heh, so I was just playing with this and I realized you'd used an animation I made a long time ago for the Cacodemon, specifically this one:
I'm guessing you attributed it to osjclatchford because he made the final frame there.

Personally, I'm happy just to see something I made get used in a mod, but it'd be nice to get a tiny credit so I could feel like I accomplished something. :P

Also, since I'm posting here, I may as well add that the "Plasma Sparkles" option seems to be broken; it works when set to "Player Only" but "Player and Monsters" only spawns sparkles on monster projectiles, not the player's.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

My apologies! I think I must have seen OSJ's version of it and assumed he made the whole sheet. I'll add you to the credit list. c:
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Really like the improved vanilla feel of this mod. Great job :)

The only issue I have with it is that I've been getting some pretty heavy performance hits when certain enemies are gibbed. The biggest offender that I noticed was a Mancubus getting hit by a rocket and triggering the gorier death animation (talking about fps dropping from 200 to 30 or lower for a second).

Oh and before I forget: Hell Knights,Barons and Cacos seem to spawn their respective blood color AND red blood on certain death animations, I don't know if that is intended or not.

-edit-

Did some testing and it looks like the performance issues are caused by enabling the ground splats. Without it the mod runs perfect.
Trar

Post by Trar »

EDIT: I don't get those annoying little error messages in the latest version of GZDoom or QZDoom, thankfully. I tried it in regular ZDoom but it won't run, with an error message of:

Code: Select all

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "SmoothDoom.pk3:deco/monsters/zombieman.txt" line 89:
Expected string constant but got '+' instead.
One thing I noticed is that the BFG's sprite becomes a bit off-center when fired. It's minor, but I still noticed it.
Trar

Post by Trar »

I've captured a GIF of the classic BFG shifting when it fires. Maybe it has something to do with the D64 weapon code?

mutator

Post by mutator »

Also when you have plasma rifle selected it doesnt show the weapon...it shows pickup sprite at the left top of screen and the weapon only appears when you are firing it, but after firing is done it disappears again
DOOMGABR [RU]

Post by DOOMGABR [RU] »

Where I can find Smooth Doom Monsters Only addon?
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10

Post by Brohnesorge »

No longer supported.

Edit: you have to edit it yourself. Go into the DECORATE file and comment out (put in front of it a //) all the weapon stuff, and delete MAPINFO. If you dont delete MAPINFO, it will try to load the Smooth Doom player class and error out.

Something like that. On phone and dont remember 100% what I had tto do to get it to work
Trar

Post by Trar »

mutator wrote:Also when you have plasma rifle selected it doesnt show the weapon...it shows pickup sprite at the left top of screen and the weapon only appears when you are firing it, but after firing is done it disappears again
This issue doesn't appear for me. Maybe you need to make sure you have the latest version?

Anyway I really hope the BFG shifting glitch will be fixed. It...bothers me.
mutator

Post by mutator »

Trar wrote:
mutator wrote:Also when you have plasma rifle selected it doesnt show the weapon...it shows pickup sprite at the left top of screen and the weapon only appears when you are firing it, but after firing is done it disappears again
This issue doesn't appear for me. Maybe you need to make sure you have the latest version?

Anyway I really hope the BFG shifting glitch will be fixed. It...bothers me.
well, I do actually have the latest version
Trar

Post by Trar »

Might be a sourceport thing, then. Beyond that I don't know.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Sounds like the de-/select and ready states were given the pickup sprite PLASA instead of the idle sprite PLSGA.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Trar wrote:I've captured a GIF of the classic BFG shifting when it fires. Maybe it has something to do with the D64 weapon code?

The reason for this is that the idle frame has wrong offsets set. In vanilla Doom, none of the weapons were actually centered, they all were shifted slightly to the right. You can notice this easily with a source port (e.g. GZDoom) that has crosshairs. You will see that they aren't aligned to it. The Doom Minor Sprite Fixing Project addressed this problem. You can try loading it before Smooth Doom in the meantime, but it will probably cause all the Sprites that Smooth Doom itself centered to be shifted to the left.

EDIT: I also noticed that one of the chaingunner angles still has the unchanged vanilla offsets, causing the sprites to jump during the firing sequence.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”