Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gifty

Re: Smooth Animations Project - Take 2!

Post by Gifty »

NiGHTMARE wrote:Have you guys considering doing smooth animations for the animated textures?
It's an area I'm less familiar with but I do plan to work on this, yeah.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I have some animated flats hanging around somewhere that I could post here. I also have better animated waterfall textures, but they aren't as good.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Yeah, if you want to post those that'd be lovely!

edit: I'm fiddling with the idle animations, reaching an impasse with the zombies. First one is the current animation, second one is another I'm trying out. Thoughts?

Image Image

I was trying to get rid of the weird "mid-stride" thing in the original sprites, but somehow it looks even weirder when the legs are just straight.
scissorman11785

Post by scissorman11785 »

I think you should stick with the current zombie animation; the second one looks rather odd. One thing I've noticed is that it's a bit weird how zombies and imps die more spectacularly than most stronger enemies because they can be gibbed. It's good that you're trying to avoid going down the Brutal Doom path with this wad, but do you think that you can add a flourish of gore to the death animations of non-humanoid enemies? Also, will the hanging/impaled corpses be gibbable? ALSO, are you gonna change the blood splatter sprites? I think they're too hi-res. Sorry if I'm making too many requests, it's just that this is pretty close to my ideal Doom wad: it improves the game without altering the gameplay.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

This isn't first and foremost an effects mod, and I'd like to save extra gore strictly for gibbing, so what I'll probably end up doing is give the other monsters an Xdeath so they can have fancy gore too. I agree that it feels kind of lopsided with the weaker guys having more effects than everyone else. I'm not going to mess with the corpse props, especially since those are often intended to be obstacles. The blood splatters will either be edited to fit better into the game or relegated to an addon in the near future.
FireHusky

Post by FireHusky »

Gifty wrote:This isn't first and foremost an effects mod, and I'd like to save extra gore strictly for gibbing, so what I'll probably end up doing is give the other monsters an Xdeath so they can have fancy gore too. I agree that it feels kind of lopsided with the weaker guys having more effects than everyone else. I'm not going to mess with the corpse props, especially since those are often intended to be obstacles. The blood splatters will either be edited to fit better into the game or relegated to an addon in the near future.
I'd put the rest of the effects into a separate addon, just to keep the main file faithful to the title of this thread. I really like what's going on here so far, especially the new imp deaths. :P
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Smooth animated textures here:
Smooth Liquids.zip
(33.88 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
StalkerZHS

Post by StalkerZHS »

I don't know if anyone did this yet, but I want the Medkits + colors on the stimpack, so that they'd be the same. The stimpacks plus colors are too light red.
President People

Post by President People »

Gifty wrote:Image Image

I was trying to get rid of the weird "mid-stride" thing in the original sprites, but somehow it looks even weirder when the legs are just straight.

Maybe something closer to this? Stole a leg from the vanilla pain frame and attached it to the second one. Kind of a medium between the vanilla dancing in place and standing at attention (which is what I'm guessing the second gif is supposed to be).

I wouldn't say this attempt is perfect, though. He looks like he could be playing guitar here. (Maybe the breathing from the first gif would be better…)
Gifty

Re: Smooth Doom (all non-bosses finished!)

Post by Gifty »

Giant update/milestone! I hope the name change doesn't throw anyone.

@President People that pose is way closer to the mark, and I think you're right that the breathing style in the first gif is best. The shotgunner has a nice set of standing-and-gun-cocking sprites that could work well for this purpose with some editing, I'm thinking that's the way to go.

@zrrion many thanks for posting your flats! I can't find a way to see them in-game, though, because I'm an ignorant doof. Is there some assembly required that's escaping me? :P (I should probably also tell you that I'm good for liquid flats, but those fall textures look really cool and useful)

Lastly, regarding all the special effects stuff we've been talking about, now that I feel the mod has achieved "big boy status" I can start working on customization. Ideally I'd have an in-game menu with switches and knobs and things to mess with, but I don't know the first thing about coding menus so if all else fails we could go with the dependable mutator system. Please do tell me what you want, though, I want a system people will find convenient.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

extra frames for every monster's idle frame(three frame, for explain.) would be more qualitiful, though!
Average

Post by Average »

This is fantastic stuff. Well done!

I was wondering if it's a little too early to ask for potential mutators? I've a couple I'd like to suggest... :)
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Suggest away!
Average

Post by Average »

Cool beans!

Well, the first is more a graphics replacement. I'd love to see the Doom64 chainsaw get a bit of love though I'm not sure how much work that would take to make it smooth and then replacing the old one.

I'd love to see destructable lamps. There are lots of nice examples (my mod of choice, Cosmetic Doom, contains a nice version). It's a really nice touch (IMHO) that really adds to the immersive feel of the game world but doesn't really change gameplay that much...

And another one that I'm not sure if it's even possible. Could there be a mutator that would allow the blood on the water to fade away more quickly than the blood on the land? It's always struck me as a little jarring that while the liquids can look like, well, liquids blood always just kind of sits on top as if it were a solid surface...

Finally, is it possible to make your mod compatible with the software 'brightmaps' project that's on the forum here. I'm sorry but I can't remember who's behind that one. If you're amenable to the idea I can have a look around for it on the forum. :)
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Post by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy »

After all animations have been completed, are there any plans for more smooth alternative deaths?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”