Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
PinataMeme

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by PinataMeme »

Does anyone know how to fix this particular problem?
"SmoothDoom.pk3:deco/monsters/zombieman.txt" line 89:
Expected string constant but got '+' instead."
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

The DOOM64 Shotguns don't show up for me, but all the other D64 weapons do.

Loving this mod, though.
JOSEGARRIGOSRODRIGO

Post by JOSEGARRIGOSRODRIGO »

Amazing this moods...
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Hey guys, boatload of fixes and the readdition of black gloves should be coming within 48 hours. Whoopee!
PinataMeme wrote:Does anyone know how to fix this particular problem?
"SmoothDoom.pk3:deco/monsters/zombieman.txt" line 89:
Expected string constant but got '+' instead."
Weird, I'm not getting this particular error. Have you tried updating your Gzdoom to the latest development build?
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

@Gifty while you're at it, could you push my fix to the spawners a few pages back?

Edit: Here it is again:
Spoiler:
Just copy this and overwrite everything in Variants.txt :)
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

DabbingSquidward wrote:@Gifty while you're at it, could you push my fix to the spawners a few pages back?
Done!

Well, here goes nothing! I finally got off my busy ass and pulled together an update, since a lot of things seem to get broken whenever I take a break. Importantly, this update reenables the black gloves (they can now be found in "weapon set" at the very bottom of the option page) and fixes some further things with the Doom64 weapons. I've also generally improved some of the regular weapon animations, recycling some sprite work I did for the Dead Marine mod.

From here on out I think what the updates are going to look like is A) further bug fixes, and B) updates to the existing monster animations. Some of those animations I've been looking at for years, and I'm starting to hate the look of the damn things. I think the rest of this mod's lifespan is going to be spent just redoing a lot of the stuff I did initially when I was a greenhorn. Zombies should be getting a visual boost in the next update, which will hopefully wrap sooner rather than later.

CHANGELOG:

-REIMPLEMENTED BLACK GLOVES!
-gore causes fewer water splashes
-slight tweaks to gore physics
-fixed imps not following giblet toggle
-fixed "nodelay" error messages
-fixed player plasma not having sparkles when set to "player and monsters"
-fixed plasma rifle firing in bursts of 3
-fixed Doom64 chaingun displaying PC sprites
-pushed DabbingSquidward's variant spawner fix
-key pickups should now give you the standard/nonsmooth key as well, for better compatibility with other wads/mods

-improved most weapon recoil animations
-improved plasma rifle fire animation
-improved Shotgun fire animation
-improved SSG fire animation
-improved chaingun fire animation
-chainsaw audio is less fiddly

-removed "jawless" zombie sprites

Hope I didn't break anything else. :P
Well, it is a bit funny, but it looks like the plasma rifle world sprite is popping into the corner of the screen when you fire it. Oops! I guess I'll be fixing that now.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

"-removed "jawless" zombie sprites"

What was wrong with them, are you gonna replace them with some other variant?
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

I don't mind their removal but I found them to be a nice callback to Doom 3, same with the headless stump variants.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Some oddities I found while playing today's release:
-The rocket launcher has duplicate 64select and 64deselect states
-The chainsaws won't stop their up sound when they enter the ready state, making for an irritating experience
-The plasma rifles randomly display the pickup sprite in the top left corner of the screen in addition to the idle/ready frame.
-The 64Chaingun has one of its CVAR checks reversed. It goes to 64bobfire when Smooth Bobbing is disabled

Edit: For future releases I'd suggest slowly phasing out some of the ACS libraries, as everything that uses CallACS to check the value of a CVar can now be replicated more conveniently in Decorate or ZScript by using a combination of GetCVar and A_JumpIf. For example:
In the zombieman's death state, check if Drop Rifles is set to true or false and then execute A_DropItem instead, this makes the change able to be applied in real time, making the rifle zombie variants obsolete and not requiring the player to restart the level or have zombiemen spawn in afterwards via scripts to see the effect.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

refiring 64 bfg turns it to doom 2 sprite
64 RL pushes u back when shooting(maybe its a feature)
when holding fire on ssg(not 64) it does not make closing barrel sound
when firing classic bfg sprite moves right a little
when set to 64 weapons there is no rifle sprites(only muzzleflash)
big plasma ammo still 64 plasma rifle
some of them already reported but i didnt see them fixed so yeah
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

I'm still baffled by the plasma rifle thing, I'm looking into it at the moment, but I figured I would push a few other fixes in the interim. Here's today's haul:

-removed "ground blood splats" pending a more CPU-friendly gore system (this should stop hangups people were having on levels like The Crusher, etc)
-fixed 64-style cell pack displaying wrong sprite
-fixed 64 BFG returning to PC sprites when holding fire
-fixed PC BFG offset snapping
-added Nintendo 64-style Rifle sprites when using the Rifle mutator

Oh, and the 64 rocket launcher pushback is intentional. :) At the moment, the Doom64 weapon set emulates the specific characteristics of the Doom64 weapon balance, rather than emulating the PC version.
Horrorfreak106

Post by Horrorfreak106 »

Awesome update! Keep up the awesome work! Though if I have one request (I might've already requested this already so sorry for the copy post), it's to have the monster's eyes/mouths glow in the dark similar to BD's monsters. I love using this with PSX doom and having that option would be a godsend or even if anyone was to use it with a darker map.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

@Gifty
-You should add a tag to the Rifle so it doesn't say Pistol when switching to it via prev/next weapon. Also, put Weapon.AmmoGive 10 so it gives the same amount of ammo as the clips it replaces, or else you'll end up with more bullets.

-Not sure if related to the plasma rifle thing, but "64bobfire:" and "64recoilbobfire:" are defined twice in the file. also, if Black Gloves or the Doom64 set is chosen, the pickup sprite shown in the top left corner is that of the D64 pickup.

-The D64Chaingun uses CHANNEL_AUTO instead of CHANNEL_WEAPON in its fire state, making fire sounds not play after three shots when using Sound Caulcking, as they don't cancel each other out.

-The chainsaws' sawhit sound also isn't cutoff by sawfull if an enemy is killed by it and you keep sawing. Also, as mentioned earlier, sawup isn't stopped by sawidle after entering the Ready state.
Sokoro

Post by Sokoro »

I am experiencing the floating plasma gun bug too. It is trippy and dangerous, could cause someone to get killed in-game.

I can not find download for monsters only version of smooth doom. Is it discontinued? I guess I can easily make it myself with Slade, or is there anything special I should know?

Archviles use their death frame when ressurecting other monsters O.o What is this? Some bad voodoo? Please help.
stagefatality

Post by stagefatality »

Hi, I'm experiencing an issue with the Doom 64 weaponset. The Doom 64 Pistol shows only for the first frame, and firing just plays the vanilla weapon animation.

Other weapons seem to be working normal, though.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”