Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CoTeCiO

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by CoTeCiO »

It would be a good idea to add an option to return the status bar face to the original since the smooth version glitches skins that have a custom face. Provided that's actually possible, anyway.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

CoTeCiO wrote:It would be a good idea to add an option to return the status bar face to the original since the smooth version glitches skins that have a custom face. Provided that's actually possible, anyway.
I would, but it's pretty much impossible to regulate SBARINFO stuff outside of zscript, and I don't know zscript. It's easier to just delete the mugshot frames if you want to play with a custom wad.

Update day! Still have to finish some rotations for the shotgunguy and imp, but hopefully this will put some fires out for some folks. The rifle also has a new set of sprites that's closer to the Doom Alpha look.

changelist:
-disabled monster variant skins for now
-added more gore variation (all optional)
-zombieman Rifle mutator now works through a death-state DECORATE check and no longer requires a level restart to change
-fixed "glove toggle" plasmagun error
-fixed "glove toggle" super shotgun error
-fixed super shotgun not properly displaying black gloves when idling
-fixed cacodemon gibs having some red blood
-fixed shotgunguy dynamic lights
-fixed 64 pistol displaying PC sprites when bobbing
-fixed shotgun firing rate deviating from vanilla
-fixed SSG firing rate deviating from vanilla
-improved cacodemon attack animation
-improved BFG firing animation/recoil
-improved Rifle sprites
-spider mastermind now has BRIGHT state when firing

EDIT NOTE: I removed the mediafire mirror because frankly it's annoying remembering to update two mirrors, and nobody seemed to like mediafire anyway. RIP mediafire mirror, over the multiple uploads of SmoothDoom.pk3 the mediafire mirror garnered around 100,000 downloads!
terminator44

Post by terminator44 »

A new update! YES! One problem, though. The download link seems to be broken. :cry:
GamingMarine
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by GamingMarine »

terminator44 wrote:A new update! YES! One problem, though. The download link seems to be broken. :cry:
There's a typo in the link. Here's the link with the typo fixed.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7UjV ... mlSR1B2bk0
acridAxid

Post by acridAxid »

I'm still new to DECORATE so I don't know what this means, but this change in DECO\MONSTERS\Zombieman.txt makes rifle zombies corpses (but not gibs) float in the air when you lower the platform they're laying on (I was testing in MAP01):

old:

Code: Select all

'ACTOR SmoothZombieman : Zombieman'
new:

Code: Select all

'ACTOR SmoothZombieman : Zombieman replaces Zombieman'
Update looks really good!
terminator44

Post by terminator44 »

GamingMarine wrote:
terminator44 wrote:A new update! YES! One problem, though. The download link seems to be broken. :cry:
There's a typo in the link. Here's the link with the typo fixed.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7UjV ... mlSR1B2bk0
Thanks!

On the subject of shotgun timing, I did some tests with a stopwatch comparing Smooth Doom and Classic Doom. It seems the shotgun is consistently about .1 seconds slower (timed from the first firing of the gun to the next firing while holding down the fire button) on Smooth Doom. For the record, I was playing in 1980x1080 resolution with a ASUS VG248QE 24" Gaming Monitor, with VSync turned off. Hope that helps.
Boondorl

Post by Boondorl »

terminator44 wrote:On the subject of shotgun timing, I did some tests with a stopwatch comparing Smooth Doom and Classic Doom. It seems the shotgun is consistently about .1 seconds slower (timed from the first firing of the gun to the next firing while holding down the fire button) on Smooth Doom.
Just took a look at the decorate file to get the frame data and...you're actually not wrong. The first frame you can refire on the default smooth shotgun's animation is frame 40 while it's frame 37 in the original Doom. 40/35 ≈ 1.14, 37/35 ≈ 1.06.
terminator44

Post by terminator44 »

Boondorl wrote: Just took a look at the decorate file to get the frame data and...you're actually not wrong. The first frame you can refire on the default smooth shotgun's animation is frame 40 while it's frame 37 in the original Doom. 40/35 ≈ 1.14, 37/35 ≈ 1.06.
Oh, the frame data! Looking at that would have been much better than just timing the shots by hand a dozen times each. Good thinking. We might just have helped solve this issue.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Fixed the download link, sorry about that. Haven't really delved into the last couple posts re: the shotgun stuff, but it looks really good, so thanks for that.

Here's a little teaser of the Baron, who is getting a second visual pass soon.
Attachments
Untitled.gif
Untitled.gif (14.83 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

Another issue here is that the shotgun has the bottom cut off for a couple frames if the black gloves are enabled. I'll make a little patch to fix it here in a minute.

EDIT: Alright, here we go!
smoothbgsgpatch.pk3
(5.23 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
acridAxid

Post by acridAxid »

Gifty wrote:Here's a little teaser of the Baron, who is getting a second visual pass soon.
oh hell yes that looks fantastic already!
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

GZDoom 4.0
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

What the fuck, that's wacky.
lumbo7332
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Fedora Kinoite
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by lumbo7332 »

Do you have a Git repository for this?
terminator44

Post by terminator44 »

I've noticed the sprite of a plasma gun projectile impacting something does not appear unless Plasma Sparkles are turned on, at least for 3.7.2. Is this intentional?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”