Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: Smooth Doom (all non-bosses finished!)

Post by Nash »

This is very impressive. So what's the secret? How have you managed to make all this progress where others have failed so many times in the past? :D
NachtIntellect

Post by NachtIntellect »

Ah I was viewing this earlier and forgot to leave a comment, looks great.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

This is pretty cool. Nice work.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Nash wrote:This is very impressive. So what's the secret? How have you managed to make all this progress where others have failed so many times in the past? :D
The secret to success is being unemployed!
Average wrote:mutator stuff
re: chainsaw, I could probably manage that, but I'm not sure when. I'll keep it on my mental list. :)
re: shootable lights, those always weirded me out, personally; the interaction is cool, but it gets weird (especially in Mcgee maps) when a lamp is supposed to be "lighting" a room but the light stays even after you've destroyed the lamp.
re: blood, that weirds me out too! I actually spent an hour yesterday trying to fix it, nothing so far. If I can get that to work I'm not putting it in a mutator, I'm going to make it mandatory. :P
re: brightmaps, if you're talking about SerbianDoomer's brightmaps mod, compatibility looks possible, but it looks like it would be a ton of work. Still, that's totally worth sticking on the mental list as well. I love software-friendly enhancements.
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy wrote:After all animations have been completed, are there any plans for more smooth alternative deaths?
Yes! Right now I'm working on Xdeaths for some of the bigger enemies, but I'm going to be on the lookout for good death sprites at all times. You can never have too many.

Thanks, guys, I'm glad you're all enjoying the stuff. :D
WallyTheBoogieBug

Post by WallyTheBoogieBug »

there appear to be some alterations to the way some of the monsters (particularly the cacodemon) work from vanilla. I would like this wad way more if it was just new animations and effects, and did not have any impact on gameplay down to the frame.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Could you tell me which discrepancies you've noticed? This is indeed intended to be vanilla-friendly, but I've made a couple of mistakes and I'm trying to catch them all.
WallyTheBoogieBug

Gifty wrote:Could you tell me which discrepancies you've noticed? This is indeed intended to be vanilla-friendly, but I've made a couple of mistakes and I'm trying to catch them all.
Cacodemons appear to move slower, float upwards, and slowly bob, but not really make much effort in moving around.

They might also be unable to be targeted by infighting, but I'm not sure.
Yutrzenika

Post by Yutrzenika »

Would correct blood colors for Cacos and Barons be possible? Also, I'd love to see some dynamic lights compatibility.
mallo

Post by mallo »

Is there a way to disable the ketchup? It's annoying me.

Also
all non-bosses finished!
I didn't knew Nazis count as bosses.
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

Gifty wrote:Could you tell me which discrepancies you've noticed? This is indeed intended to be vanilla-friendly, but I've made a couple of mistakes and I'm trying to catch them all.
From your imp code:

Code: Select all

Missile:
    TRSO IIIJJKL 1 A_FaceTarget
    TRSO M 3 A_TroopAttack
    TRSO LKJ 1
    Goto See	
From the wiki's imp code:

Code: Select all

Missile:
    TROO EF 8 A_FaceTarget
    TROO G 6 A_TroopAttack
    Goto See
I was wondering why the imps became so much more deadly, so I checked your code. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like your imp calls A_FaceTarget for only 7 tics, rather than the original which calls for 16. If you are trying to emulate vanilla behavior, you might want to fix that kind of thing.
Arthropleura

Post by Arthropleura »

I don't know. I think updating the wolf 3D sprites to have smoother animations would spoil the throwback feel of the bonus levels.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Arthropleura wrote:
I don't know. I think updating the wolf 3D sprites to have smoother animations would spoil the throwback feel of the bonus levels.
Yeah, updating the nazis would have ruined the joke, so I left them untouched.

As I've said before, corrected blood colors are in the works, so don't fret! As is the option to turn off the extra blood splatters. And I'll get those tic inconsistencies sorted as quick as I can, keep pointing them out wherever you find them.

EDIT: I put up several fixes, see the changelog and keep the feedback coming.
WallyTheBoogieBug

Is the cacodemon still supposed to be floating upward? It seems like a strange change for something intending to be only visual, as the effect does change gameplay.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

I hadn't previously eyed the Cacodemon code too suspiciously since it was from Sarge's original version and he's generally better at this than me, but it looks like he added a slight bobbing effect to the movement. I hardly even noticed it until now but I suppose I should disable that for purity's sake. He also mucked up the missile state, though (fixed in yesterday's update), so I guess that should disabuse me of the notion that Sarge's code is sacred.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

Wasn't there a set of smoothly animated doom switches floating around on the forums here? That would be great to add to this. I thought I saw it on the custom textures thread, but I don't remember.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”