Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by drfrag »

NathanVPer wrote:Can i run this with ZDoom?(NO GZDOOM)or another version that will work with it?
drfrag wrote:Right now it works (minimum requirement) with GZDoom 2.4, QZDoom 1.3, ZDoom32 and ZDoom LE. The last one only with the fixed version below (with the +2 changed to 2).
I've also included the Spectre fix. Until Gifty comes with a new version:
Edit: link removed.
Last edited by drfrag on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

is there any way you play this with just the enemies and get it to work in conjunciton with something like weapons of saturn?

the answer is yes. this and weapons of saturn pair beautifully and will probably be my default load order for a while.
NathanVPer

Post by NathanVPer »

[quote="wildweasel"][quote="NathanVPer"]Can i run this with ZDoom?(NO GZDOOM)or another version that will work with it?[/quote]
Why no GZDoom? You know GZDoom still has the software renderer in it, right?[/quote]
Emm no, i didn't know, because i CAN'T OPEN THE GZDOOM BECAUSE MY COMPUTER IS A TOASTER >:( >:( :(
NathanVPer

Post by NathanVPer »

[quote="drfrag"][quote="NathanVPer"]Can i run this with ZDoom?(NO GZDOOM)or another version that will work with it?[/quote]
[quote="drfrag"]Right now it works (minimum requirement) with GZDoom 2.4, QZDoom 1.3, ZDoom32 and ZDoom LE. The last one only with the fixed version below (with the +2 changed to 2).[/quote]
I've also included the Spectre fix. Until Gifty comes with a new version:
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g2 ... cf82fee030[/quote]
Hey, Thanks for the info, but it sometimes appear an error, well, FATAL error, when i start killing some monsters, then appears the FATAL error
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

NathanVPer wrote:Emm no, i didn't know, because i CAN'T OPEN THE GZDOOM BECAUSE MY COMPUTER IS A TOASTER >:( >:( :(
Does it produce any error messages or anything?
NathanVPer

Post by NathanVPer »

[quote="wildweasel"][quote="NathanVPer"]Emm no, i didn't know, because i CAN'T OPEN THE GZDOOM BECAUSE MY COMPUTER IS A TOASTER >:( >:( :([/quote]
Does it produce any error messages or anything?[/quote]
The fatal error
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Please be more specific. If it generates a crash log, save that and upload it somewhere like Google Drive. Otherwise, take a screenshot of it or somehow give us the exact text of the error. "The fatal error" tells us NOTHING and we can't solve your problem like that.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I guess it's the very fatal error crash with a white background (not the execution cannot continue one on a black background). Might be caused sometimes with an unsupported GL version not being detected properly. But then he mentions a crash during game, i'm guessing he's using ZDoom LE then? In that case could be an unrelated hardware or driver problem. With LE does it crash in software as well or only with the OpenGL renderer?
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

ILikeSupershotties27 wrote:This reminds me of Random Deaths and Decorations addon 0_o http://www.moddb.com/games/doom/addons/ ... n-15-final
That's because I used (permission given) some assets from this mod. :)
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Very, very smooth!!! Imagine if it was this way when DooM first came out! Definitely in my collection of sort of vanilla mods!
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Hi! Just so everyone know that I haven't forgotten about this mod, I'm working on an update in the next couple weeks which should reimplement (new, improved) Doom64 weapons, and fix the invincible Spectre bug. A hearty thanks to everyone who looked into that while I was doing other stuff!
Trar

Post by Trar »

Glad to hear it! This is my go-to mod for regular Doom play so I'll be waiting.
NathanVPer

Post by NathanVPer »

Hey Gifty, emm I have a bug and a question

Bug: is something when I select the fists, it appears a spam message that is something like "64fist...firing" or "deselecting" or something like, I don't know
Question: On what version of ZDoom (no GZDoom because it doesn't works on me) works the mod, i have an error on ZDoom 2.8 and 2.9, but i remember that i played the mod without any error
MaxVonSydoww

Post by MaxVonSydoww »

A quick question, maybe someone has had the same issue.
Been away from Doom for 2 years, got back into it now.

When i try to combine high res items mod, NAHDSP.pk3 with the new version of smooth doom, i have issues.

Most of the items display as hd sprites ingame but some do not.
All weapons except chainsaw and chaingun display in HD.
Armour, health and armour pickup does not show in hd either.
Tried playing with the load order, but get the same results.
It worked without issues with the old smooth doom, hard for me to say if NAHDSP or smooth doom is the problem.
NAHDSP works fine when i run it without smooth doom.

Anyone else running both these mods and know how i can fix this? :)
Glikkzy

Post by Glikkzy »

Hi there! This is one of my favorite mods, and I just want to let you know about a pretty big issue with this mod in particular when it comes to playing maps that use certain scripts for encounters.

Example: If a map has a scripted encounter that spawns enemies and gives them a special TID, and does something (open door, etc.) when the are no more monsters alive with this special TID, it will break when using Smooth Doom or any variant thereof. In practice, the script runs, spawns enemies, gives them a TID, but it then proceeds immediately as if the monsters are dead (while they in fact only just spawned and are still quite alive!) I haven't encountered this issue in any other mods that adds variant of monsters or replaces them.

Examples of the kind of scripts the mod breaks:
Spoiler:
Is it possible that the edited monsters, and their variants, break the assignment of TIDs to them somehow?

EDIT: (I am using GZDOOM, and only Smooth Doom - happens in multiple versions of GZDOOM)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”