Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gifty

Re: Smooth Doom (NOW HAS A THEME SONG!)

Post by Gifty »

Retraux Squid wrote:Simple- do the same thing you did for the Rifle zombiemen. Say, create a "StepZombieman" (and by extension a "RifleStepZombieman") that creates footstep actors during its See state. Alternatively, you could have the existing actor go into a "SeeStep" state where it produces footstep actors while chasing the player. Hook everything up to an ACS toggle and I think it'd be good.
Toggling player footsteps would be much trickier, though.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Unless you use the same technique with the player, which has been done in Guncaster and Trailblazer. You can then create a custom CVar that the footstep actors can check for in order to regulate whether or not footsteps are enabled by using GetCVar. If it isn't enabled, the footstep actors can be programmed to disappear without doing anything.

Not to mention, the way that Guncaster and Trailblazer do it is much more realistic, since they're spawned at offsets either to the left or the right of the playerpawn... so that mimics the sound pattern of actual footsteps much more closely, since it imitates left and right footsteps.
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

I like to not use extra sound effects like footsteps and shell casings, just my preference there.

SmoothDoom still rules by the way! Best mod around. It really makes the game feel even better.

(I would always love dual pistols as an alternative to the zombieman rifle drop though, just aesthetically akimbo pistols are cool and 90s. :mrgreen: )

[or if this possible "hack" is possible/easier theoretically, having the pistol fire faster would be a cool aesthetic alternative to using a zombieman rifle. Though gameplay stuff like that is second to the great subtle smoothery of the mod)
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Using Monsters Only it seems that all monsters infight even if they're the same type as each other. For example playing map01 the secret with the shotgun, you'll find all the imps fighting each other if they're alerted.
mutator

Post by mutator »

Is there custom weapons and monster sounds addon for this mod? I mean this thing I'll show in youtube video
[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh_oufKEqLA [/youtube]
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

I'm not sure what sounds that guy is running with, as far as I know there are no official or unofficial sound addons for Smooth Doom.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

mutator wrote:Is there custom weapons and monster sounds addon for this mod? I mean this thing I'll show in youtube video
[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh_oufKEqLA [/youtube]
its said in the description of the video that he uses custom sounds but i think he took sounds from doom 3 and replaced them with variations
pikio96

Post by pikio96 »

If you can Gifty, I would move the Smooth Doom options menu a bit lower. I use QZDoom and there is a new submenu, something along the lines of changing renderer options. As such, the Smooth Doom menu has been completely replaced. Obviously this option is solved when using a different sourceport, but I just wanted to share my thoughts.
Keckle_Knight

Post by Keckle_Knight »

pikio96 wrote:If you can Gifty, I would move the Smooth Doom options menu a bit lower. I use QZDoom and there is a new submenu, something along the lines of changing renderer options. As such, the Smooth Doom menu has been completely replaced. Obviously this option is solved when using a different sourceport, but I just wanted to share my thoughts.
This is actually also a problem with gzdoom dev build as it also has a "render options" section
pikio96

Post by pikio96 »

More reason to fix it then.
Vdude

Post by Vdude »

Hello, Gifty. I made a version of the Barons and Hell Knights with red blood on their sprites. I used the sprites from your mod Smooth Doom. I made it just for personal taste and experimentation. As an extension of your work, I think it is properly credited. Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=57794&p=1017087#p1017087

Best regards.
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

Damn I've gotta give this a try =O The last version I tried of a vanilla Doom enhancer was pretty much only sprites animations with more FPS and that was it. Having so many options while retaining vanilla gameplay now is freaking awesome, seems like it's going to my Doom.Autoload
LaserBoyStudios
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Doom Mania (NOW HAS A THEME SONG!)

Post by LaserBoyStudios »

Smooth Doom? More like DOOM MANIA!!!
Voros

Post by Voros »

The weapon bob option doesn't work (it handles the weapon swaying motion, right?). On D-Touch, which runs GZDoom 1.8.6 and 2.1pre.

Consider adding a few more tics near the end of SSG animation. Holding down the fire button makes the animation seem abrupt.

Everytime the SSG is fired, the console apparently says it tries to jump to the state bobblerecoil64fire, even though I'm using the classic skin. Happens when using kickback, classic skin, bob.
Voros

Post by Voros »

Am I the only one who thinks that the shotgun guy variant with the goggles seem weird?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”