Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
acridAxid

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by acridAxid »

I really missed fast weapon switching (since Smooth Doom breaks this older .WAD I was using), so I added support for it to Smooth Doom with a supplemental .pk3; just load it after Smooth Doom and it shouldn't break anything, you'll need to enable it in the Smooth Doom Menu under Options, it's off by default.

I don't plan on maintaining this, so I'm hoping these changes will be merged back into the author's base... If you choose to use my changes, please just give a thank you wherever you normally do that.

EDIT: Guess I didn't test well enough, a playthrough tonight revealed an issue after picking up the rifle. I know I picked up the rifle to test swapping to and from it at one point..? An 'idkfa' will restore the weapons. I won't get a chance to look at it for another day or two at least.
Attachments
SmoothDoom-FasterWeaponSwitching.pk3
Supplemental Add-on adds faster weapon switching to Smooth Doom.
(14.49 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Last edited by acridAxid on Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
cloudropis

Post by cloudropis »

DoomKrakken wrote:Are you using GZDoom 3.2? Versions from here and above have the MENUDEF format completely restructured... so, many menus that used to work will no longer work.
Nope, am using 2.2 I believe. I'll try updating GZDoom and using the most recent SmoothDoom.
Still doesn't explain why the older version from a few months ago stopped working with my current GZDoom when I literally didn't touch anything :?:
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I just noticed a couple of issues with stealth monsters, namely Stealth Archviles do not have a corpse - they stay in their summoning stance when dead - and stealth monsters like the Hell Knight spill the wrong blood colour.
scissorman1985

Post by scissorman1985 »

I know that has been brought up before, but I still don't get how to fix the problem with the smoothdoom options not appearing in the menu.
Korell

Post by Korell »

scissorman1985 wrote:I know that has been brought up before, but I still don't get how to fix the problem with the smoothdoom options not appearing in the menu.
You need to edit the SmoothDoom.pk3 with Slade or similar (or you can even edit it with WinZip, WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc.) and then edit the MENUDEF.txt file so that the new menu options are referred to by AddOptionMenu, so adding an option menu rather than editing the now static built in menus.

For me, here's the MENUDEF.txt file I'm using, with the Smooth Doom Menu added to the existing Options menu items, and the SmoothDoomMenu options menu being defined as a new menu:

Code: Select all

AddOptionMenu "OptionsMenu"
{
StaticText " "
StaticText "Smooth Doom"
Submenu "Smooth Doom Menu","SmoothDoomMenu"
}

OptionValue ShingSparkleSparkle
{
	0.0, "None"
	1.0, "Player Only"
	2.0, "Player And Monster"
}

OptionValue DanzigSongReference
{
	0.0, "Classic"
	1.0, "Black"
}

OptionValue PocketFullaShells
{
	0.0, "None"
	1.0, "Player Only"
	2.0, "Player And Monster"
}

OptionValue WepStyle
{
	0.0, "Classic Doom"
	1.0, "Doom Alpha"
	2.0, "Doom 64"
}

OptionMenu "SmoothDoomMenu"
{
Title "Smooth Doom Options"
StaticText " "
option "'Marine Helmet' Armor Bonus", "botoggle", "onoff"
option "Doom64-Style Items", "putoggle", "onoff"
option "Duke Nukem Explosions", "dutoggle", "onoff"
option "Explosion Screenshake", "rmtoggle", "onoff"
option "Fancy Bullet Puffs", "pftoggle", "onoff"
option "Fancy Torch Sprites", "totoggle", "onoff"
option "Rotating Keys", "krtoggle", "onoff"
StaticText " "
StaticText "Gore Settings",1
option "Blood Pools Toggle", "bstoggle", "onoff"
option "Giblets Toggle", "gbtoggle", "onoff"
option "Pain Elemental Gibs on Death", "gotoggle", "onoff"
option "Super Shotgun Gibs Enemies", "ggtoggle", "onoff"
StaticText " "
StaticText "Variation Settings",1
option "Decoration Variants", "dctoggle", "onoff"
option "Monster Death Variants", "mdtoggle", "onoff"
option "Monster Skin Variants", "vatoggle", "onoff"
StaticText " "
StaticText "Gameplay Settings",1
option "Fast Pinky", "pitoggle", "onoff"
option "Zombieman Drops Rifle", "ritoggle", "onoff"
StaticText " "
StaticText "Weapon Settings",1
option "Glove Color", "gltoggle","DanzigSongReference"
option "Plasma Sparkles", "sptoggle", "ShingSparkleSparkle"
option "Eject Casings",	"catoggle","PocketFullaShells"
option "Smooth Bob", "bbtoggle","onoff"
option "Weapon Kickback", "retoggle","onoff"
//option "Weapon Set", "wetoggle","WepStyle"
}
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The menu thing was fixed in the latest version of mod. So make sure you grab that, and that you have an up-to-date GZDoom version.
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

Can you please fix not working weapon bob on doom 64 chaingun?
Or if i can fix it myself, how can i do it?
Sorry for my english
acridAxid

Post by acridAxid »

Here's an updated version of the Fast Weapon Switching add-on. It still does not work when loaded separately but works fine when I manually merged the lumps directly into the current (2017-10-17) Smooth Doom. Using Slade:

Replace the contents of DECO/PLAYER with those from the attachment.
Copy the new files in ACS over to the base mod.
LOADACS and CVARINFO are just single-line changes that need to be merged into the bottom of the same files in the base mod.
MENUDEF.txt contains a block that needs to be overwritten within the MENUDEF.txt in the base mod.
DECORATE changes don't need to be copied over.

That's it! Again, I hope Gifty will adopt these changes, I think they're a great addition!
Attachments
SmoothDoom-FasterWeaponSwitching-2017-10-31.pk3
(14.5 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Pyrolex

Post by Pyrolex »

I think Smooth Doom is possibly one of the best mods out there, alongside Brutal Doom and Death Foretold (a couple of my personal favorites). I love the new animations and how well it preserves vanilla gameplay while still making it look fresh.

I love how it includes Doom 64 skins, as well. I'm quite a fan of some weapon designs in D64, so those being available as an option is really nice.
Not sure how I feel about the addition of the rifle, though. I mean, it doesn't feel necessary, but I can turn it off, so I guess it's not really a big deal?
I don't know if you would see this as a compliment, but I had to get an HD sound pack because hearing the normal sounds with the new animations felt rather jarring for me (I think that's a good thing, though, because to me that shows how much you went out of your way to make the animations look good).
The guns still feel really punchy to me, though SD only makes them feel even more powerful, so I still have a blast using either the fists or the pistol.
Speaking of the fists, I'm happy you included the glove on Doomguy's punching hand -- that was one of those small details in vanilla Doom that bothered me for some reason.

This, combined with a Smooth Doom Ketchup patch, an HD sound pack, and an HD texture pack all sort of make this really beautiful (in my opinion) game even more beautiful. I'm looking forward to future versions of the mod!
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I feel like I'm the only one who feels the fists should be left as they are without gloves (besides gifty himself of course since he did end up restoring them). Brass knuckles are designed to fit tightly around your fingers, and trying to squeeze a gloved hand through them seems like it would be a pain.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Pyrolex wrote:Not sure how I feel about the addition of the rifle, though.
At least for me, the rifle is the single biggest reason I use Smooth Doom.

The thing that I hate most about vanilla Doom is never being able to use it whatsoever. So having a gun that's reasonably useful (even if kinda underpowered in the current versions) in the early levels, and helps me satisfy that issue, is great.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Mod broke script which open door after death of all monster spawned in room in "UAC Vinur Prime Research Base" map.
Its definitely smooth doom, since I try some other monster replacer mod and all work fine.

ADD: Looks like ffmpeg slightly chewed fps when compile all piece in one file.
Spoiler:
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Testing with editing the new version has given me a nice little discovery.

If you remove the A_ReFire state in the Rifle's code (forcing it to run through the entire 20-tic animation before firing again), increase its accuracy per shot to 1 degree, and base damage to 16 (making for a spread of 16-48), it becomes an entirely unique, highly useful little complement to the basic Shotgun that I found myself using even very much late into Doom II, particularly for blowing away troublesome chaingunners on far-away fortress tops in some of the big city maps. Though it had a rather frequent tendency of gibbing zombiemen, so I ended up setting up a modified SmoothBulletPuff to disable extreme deaths with it.

I think that adding such changes to the Rifle for the next version of SmoothDoom would make it a quite useful little weapon instead of just a toy you use for MAP01 of Doom II and then discard when the Shotgun presents itself. I'd also recommend reverting the Rifle's pickup sprite to its old version; the new one, while a tad bit more accurate to the third-person weapon, has some strange features (like a tiny trigger guard) and is a bit too large as well. The old one looked and was sized perfectly.

Other than that, I've been having a lot of fun with the current build. Turning on all the graphical features makes replaying Episode 1 an absolute treat.
RSSwizard

Smooth Doom Upgrade

Post by RSSwizard »

After abit of posting on /vr and getting some feedback ive finally decided to share my upgrade for Smooth Doom. This alteration (placed afterwards in the load order) adds an HD palette and presents a fair number of cosmetic changes mainly directed at projectile graphics. Combining color translations with additive translucency allows for some pretty fancy effects.

Smooth Doom Upgrade v1.0
https://mega.nz/#!LowzkDyB!V55h2sB8qkrS ... wqvbMN_4nY

This is a low-overhead improvement that approaches making the mod more aesthetic without requiring anything modern (personally ive been testing this on GZdoom 2.4 in software mode, since thats all I can run currently). Credit goes to where credit is due, im just trying to present something nice here.

(non-comprehensive) List Of Changes:
* Tall Colored Gothic Lamps have additive flames (and it actually works pretty good).
* Burner Barrel variant recolored to look a little more like a rusted oil drum.
* Plasma projectiles and BFG got alot of love and attention, plasma shots have tails.
* Explosions scatter sparks if the plasma sparkles option is on.
* Caco Fireball has plasma sparkles and the impact scatters sparks too.
* Bullet sparks are more fluid in their fading.
* Grittier more dangerous looking revenant fireball. Impact is switched to use some of the rocket explosion sprite scaled down.
* Chaingun Major from KDIZD is one of the chaingunner spawn variants.
* Baron Fireball is made of sprite particles to compensate for vertical angled movement (along with a particle-rendered impact). These display regardless of the plasma sparkles option.

Some sound effects are included:
* Chaingun has a "pow" style sound effect with a trailing barrel rotation. Chaingunners also use this now too (sound is mixed from the ut2k4 minigun rotation, a potent pistol shot I dont know the origin of, and a small piece of the remasterSfx pistol at the start).
* Shotgun blast and SSG from PSX doom are included in case you're not using the remasterSfx pack.

(older screen of the plasma shots, featuring the impact sparks):
(plasma sparkles were tapered a little bit after this, but this is a side view of the shots):
(baron fireball):
(the radiation "snap" given off by bfg spray, plus the way the imp fireball looks under translation):
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Do you not think we're suffering from feature creep in this mod by now? What happened to "keeping it simple" without excessive bells & whistles?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”