Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by StroggVorbis »

@Gifty

Found a fix for the plasma rifle:

Change

Code: Select all

Flash:
TNT1 A 1 A_Light1
Goto LightDone
to

Flash:
TNT1 A 1 A_Light1
Goto LightDone
TNT1 A 1 A_Light1
Goto LightDone
:P
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Huh, I have no idea why that fixes it, but it does! Will roll out another update soon.
Sokoro

Post by Sokoro »

It fixes it? I tried to fix it myself according the code two posts above and the floating plasma gun bug is still present.
What about archvile ressurect animation? I tried to look at the code, but I could not figure out anything. the code seems to be fine:

Heal:
		VILE xxyzyxxyzy 3 bright
		goto see
SwiftFunk
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SwiftFunk »

Great mod, I like the little changes here and there, and the rifle is a cool weapon itself
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Sokoro wrote:It fixes it? I tried to fix it myself according the code two posts above and the floating plasma gun bug is still present.
What about archvile ressurect animation? I tried to look at the code, but I could not figure out anything. the code seems to be fine:

Heal:
		VILE xxyzyxxyzy 3 bright
		goto see
For me the Arch-Vile behaves as expected, do you have the latest version? Or do you mean the resurrect animation of a monster to be raised?
Sokoro

Post by Sokoro »

I have latest version of the mod and latest official version of gzdoom 3.6.0.
Monsters behave just fine, but the archvile sprite changes to corpse while the archvile is ressurecting other monsters.

I did some tests with old version of smooth doom (cca two years old) and the archvile bug is still present, but the plasma rifle bug is gone.
So I guess the plasma bug is problem with current version of smooth doom, but the archvile bug must be something with my gzdoom or computer.

I have tried brand new copy of gzdoom with new .ini and everything but the archvile bug is still present, but it is fine if i play gzdoom without smooth doom.

Ok I figured it out, it was happening only with 50monstr.wad I think it is because the wad uses some dehacked hacks and also it seems to be full of iwad assets, is that not illegal? It has lot of sprites of all monsters.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Sokoro wrote:Ok I figured it out, it was happening only with 50monstr.wad I think it is because the wad uses some dehacked hacks and also it seems to be full of iwad assets, is that not illegal? It has lot of sprites of all monsters.
Modders are explicitly allowed to use modified IWAD resources to produce new content, as long as it only works on the original IWAD, doesn't work standalone, and won't work on the shareware doom1.wad. As far as I remember, this is specifically mentioned in the Doom license.
Horrorfreak106

Post by Horrorfreak106 »

Super Flip wrote:Hi, I'm experiencing an issue with the Doom 64 weaponset. The Doom 64 Pistol shows only for the first frame, and firing just plays the vanilla weapon animation.

Other weapons seem to be working normal, though.
Same Here. That and the option for Doom 64 muzzle flashes aren't there either? Either way though the update is really good.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Update!

-improved gore effects (and hopefully performance!)
-improved plasma sparkle effects!
-improved bullet spark effects!
-GREATLY improved zombieman/sarge animations! (sarge is still WIP)
-improved imp projectile; death is redone; "phases in" when spawned
-trimmed down the number of monster variant skins
-"Faster pinky" mutator can now toggle without restarting the level
-gore now disappears in water
-fixed dynamic lights for burning barrel
-fixed various "glovetoggle" error messages
-fixed the plasma rifle floating sprite issue (thanks, Dabbing Squidward!)
-fixed zombies erroneously spawning casings

As I mentioned, most of my efforts from this point will be focused on improving the animations already included. Hidfan's neural upscale is really heating up and there are tons of things I would like to spiff up majorly before they go through the magical upscaling machine. The zombieman gets a HUGE improvement in this update which I'm extremely excited for you guys to see, and the shotgunner is about halfway though the same process. A side effect of this, however, is that I'm pruning out a lot of the monster variants that have previously been part of this mod. Partly because, a few years on, they feel kind of silly, but also because I've encountered the unfortunate reality that they slow down monster-related improvements by A LOT. Every time I want to go back and fix/improve something in the monster sprites, there are hundreds of variant sprites to contend with. I think having fewer, better-looking sprites is better than the alternative of having tons of variety with no polish. As it stands I'm kind of leaning towards just leaving the helmeted zombies and checking back in on variants at a later date. I hate to keep disabling or pruning old features like this, I know the Doom64 skins and gloves only just came back, but frankly it's all getting very difficult to maintain and sometimes to improve you've got to start from a simpler place!

Anyway, exciting times! The gore system should also now look and run much better. Hope you enjoy the update!
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

Some subtle, yet very nice improvements to the particle and gore system. I like how you can now hear more of the default chainsaw sound and the new super shotgun reload is awesome too.

Some things to note:
Receiving this error when firing plasma rifle (black gloves too) & selecting DOOM64 SSG - p_startscript: unknown script "Glovetoggle"
The hellknight, baron and cacodemon will produce red blood when gibbed
The shotgun has a slightly slower firerate than vanilla version - Doom64 shotgun feels right
If using black gloves, the supershotgun idle sprite will change glove colour when firing
I think you should make weapons sprites full bright in darkness rather than have the yellow tint unless you combine the muzzle flash and the gun into a single sprite

Using GZDoom v3.6.0
Last edited by Neccronixis on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

I just checked and if I didn't miscalculate then Smooth Doom's shotgun is actually one tic faster than the vanilla shotgun, 43 instead of 44. :?

Edit: Not only some if not all weapons are faster than their vanilla counterparts, but there are inconsistencies in the various fire states as well, for example the vanilla SSG fire has a delay of 62 tics while Smooth Doom's fire delay is 60 tics and 59 tics if recoil is enabled.

@Gifty, here are the vanilla durations of all weapons, you should check if everything is in order:

Fist: 22 tics
Chainsaw: 8 tics
Pistol: 19 tics
Shotgun: 44 tics
Super Shotgun: 62 tics
Chaingun: 8 tics
Rocket Launcher: 20 tics
Plasma Rifle: 3 tics (+20 for cooldown)
BFG: 40 tics (+20 without refire)
Last edited by StroggVorbis on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
VGA

Post by VGA »

Yeah, Gifty, please fix the timings to be equivalent to vanilla.

Also, I want to play Dead Marine and Smooth Doom ... squished together!
GreenDoomguy1999

Post by GreenDoomguy1999 »

Some bugs and etc.
Weapons:
-Crazy shaking chainsaw ala Brutal Doom is not very suitable for a vanilla chainsaw
-DSSAWUP, DSSAWFUL and DSSAWHIT are played in full(happens with every skin)
-Pistol sprites changing back to vanilla skin but without muzzle flash with Doom 64 skin while firing
-Shotgun is a little bit slower with Vanilla and Black gloves skin,but speed is normal with Doom 64 skin
-One of frames having a little bit wrong offsets,causing shotgun cutting,very notable with fullscreen hud(Black Gloves Skin)
-It seems to me, or is the new animation of super shotgun reloading a bit rough compared to the old one?
-Choosing super shotgun causes P_StartScript: Unknown Script "GloveToggle" spam with Doom 64 skin
-Super shotguns muzzle flash losing "BRIGHT" action for a very short time
-Vanilla gloves Skin still appearing with Black gloves Skin on the first super shotgun sprite,very easy to notice with fullscreen hud
Monsters:
-Standard shotgunguy seems to be broken a bit - one of walking frames having "BRIGHT" action,while during shooting there is nothing
-Baron of Hell,Hell Knight and Cacodemon spawning red blood with green/blue during gibbing
-Arch-Vile's DSVILATK and Pain Elemental's DSPEPAIN sound plays twice
-Spider Mastermind is not using "BRIGHT" action during shooting
Monsters in Monster Cast:
-Shotgunguy looks totally broken in monster cast - shows standing frames during shooting
-Chaingunguy sprites jumping in monster cast
-Hellknight and Baron of Hell walking animation is a broken a little in monster cast
-Arch-Vile's last death frames showing resurrecting frames instead in monster cast
Questions:
-Will Doom 64 weapons with vanilla hands skin come back?
-Will fists in gloves come back?
Attachments
Shotgunguy everytime getting bright at this frame
Shotgunguy everytime getting bright at this frame
P_StartScript: Unknown Script "GloveToggle" spam after choosing Super Shotgun with Doom 64 skin + Super Shotgun muzzle flash loses "BRIGHT" action for a very short time with Vanilla and Black Gloves skin
P_StartScript: Unknown Script "GloveToggle" spam after choosing Super Shotgun with Doom 64 skin + Super Shotgun muzzle flash loses "BRIGHT" action for a very short time with Vanilla and Black Gloves skin
Shotgun with Black Gloves skin having wrong offsets
Shotgun with Black Gloves skin having wrong offsets
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

Aaahh.. the unabridged chainsaw sounds, so satisfying <3
Thank you Gifty for allowing our eagerest of beavers to sing once more
acridAxid

Post by acridAxid »

Gifty, the new zombieman animation looks incredible! Thanks for the fantastic work!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”