[UPDATED 5/1] Modes of Destruction 0.4.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[UPDATED 5/1] Modes of Destruction 0.4.1

Post by Woolie Wool »

Modes of Destruction 0.4.1
NC HUD MoD Edition (standalone--do not load with any other NC HUD pk3s)

NEW since 0.4:
* Implemented scroton's BFG script
* BFG blast mode now spawns 40 zappers firing one trace each instead of 8 zappers firing five traces each. The total number of traces is the same but they can now be split among up to 40 targets.
* Implemented Sgt. Shivers' SMG reload.
* Added a status bar HUD based on the BTSX status bar to match the fullscreen HUD.
* Added an alternate mode to the BFG--all weapons have modes now!
* Added A_BossDeath to the Baron, Mancubus, and Arachnotron BFG deaths.
* No more Brutal Doom-like cacos. Cacodemons now have their original red appearance.
Spoiler: Old changelogs
This is something I've been doing as a side project for a couple of years. The main gimmick of this mod is that each weapon (except for the fists and BFG for the moment) have two switchable modes (toggled with alt-fire) that have different roles and behaviors. For instance, the plasma gun switches between a medium-long range projectile weapon and a short-range lightning gun that does massive DPS but at the expense of ammo consumption, for when you're in a tight spot and need to kill something big right now. It also features a heavily tweaked and extended version of Nash Gore with alternate/gib deaths for every enemy and four gore colors (red, green, blue, and spectral gore for the Spectre). And on top of that there's a score system like in Wolfenstein, to reward exploring every nook and cranny and killing everything that moves. This mod is still in an alpha state and has unfinished stuff and rough edges but at this point I think it has enough features that I can show it off.

If you're looking for mods that play well with MoD, these wads were used extensively during testing and influenced the balance of the mod:
* Back to Saturn X Episode 1: Get Out of My Stations (skill 2)
* Whispers of Satan (skill 4)
* Doom the Way Id Did (skill 4)
Spoiler: Weapons
Spoiler: Credits
TODO:
* More gore and deaths! Plasma deaths, SSG deaths, everything gory and splatty. Any help is welcome!
* Refine animations
* Balancing
* Improve minigun sound
Last edited by Woolie Wool on Fri May 01, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Blue Shadow

Re: [ALPHA] Modes of Destruction

Post by Blue Shadow »

Could you put up a mirror for the download, please? I can't download from sendspace.
Woolie Wool wrote:* Do something about the chainsaw
If anyone even thinks of suggesting a slash attack, I'm gonna frag them, even if I don't play multiplayer. :P
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

played one lever and looking very good and refreshing with the mode for the weapons
the only bug i got so far is when switching fire mode the enemies got alerted without the weapon been fired
so far look good :)
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Nice looking hud, though I'm wondering why some of the weapons have a switchable alt-fire mode rather than just having it be an altfire, like for the SSG.

Anything planned for fists?
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

Blue Shadow wrote:Could you put up a mirror for the download, please? I can't download from sendspace.
Is there anywhere else I can put it that doesn't require registration and is not absolutely horrible like rapidshit? I miss DRDTeam's file hosting.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Woolie Wool wrote:
Blue Shadow wrote:Could you put up a mirror for the download, please? I can't download from sendspace.
Is there anywhere else I can put it that doesn't require registration and is not absolutely horrible like rapidshit? I miss DRDTeam's file hosting.
here you go..

https://www.mediafire.com/?qk362vsbbfns99t
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Really enjoying this.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

I'm not quite sure what to say about this so here's a list of shit
  • Pistol feels like a weak mod of the ww-nazis mp40, the burst fire is useless
  • Shotgun feels like a weak mod of the ww-nazis shotgun, the explosive slugs are useless
  • Super Shotgun feels like a weak mod of the Demon Eclipse SSG, the single fire is useless
  • Minigun feels like a fuckin rad mod of the Brutal Doom minigun, the standby mode is useless
  • Rifle is useless but feels nice
  • Rocket Launcher feels nice, HE Rocket mode is useless
  • Plasma Rifle feels nice, Arc mode is.. useless, but not underpowered
  • BFG is yes
Niwatorry

Post by Niwatorry »

A fun weapon set. Tried out on Plutonia MAP01&32, and hey, that Minigun was a blast!
The rest of the weapons are also enjoyable, especially the Heat-seeker worked pretty. Good job.

My only complaint is, either Explosive Slug being worthless or Chaingunner replacement being too hard;
Two direct hit and they're most likely to stand still, which is... um, frustrating?
Besides, pistol, rifle, double shotgun, and plasma gun always give you full magazine when reloading (even if you're running low on ammo), maybe a minor bug.
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

Marrub wrote:I'm not quite sure what to say about this so here's a list of shit
  • Pistol feels like a weak mod of the ww-nazis mp40, the burst fire is useless
  • Shotgun feels like a weak mod of the ww-nazis shotgun, the explosive slugs are useless
  • Super Shotgun feels like a weak mod of the Demon Eclipse SSG, the single fire is useless
  • Minigun feels like a fuckin rad mod of the Brutal Doom minigun, the standby mode is useless
  • Rifle is useless but feels nice
  • Rocket Launcher feels nice, HE Rocket mode is useless
  • Plasma Rifle feels nice, Arc mode is.. useless, but not underpowered
  • BFG is yes
So basically you don't know how to use any of the weapons and aren't trying to figure it out? I wouldn't call a rocket type that could take out an entire ledge full of imps in one shot useless. Of course if you're trying to use it on a Baron it won't work very well but I said that in the weapons list.
Niwatorry wrote:My only complaint is, either Explosive Slug being worthless or Chaingunner replacement being too hard;
Explosive slugs are best reserved for use at long range (beyond the effective range of the normal shells) or against a group of imps and zombies bunched together. They're weaker than the buckshot shells but two or three shots can easily take out several enemies if you place the shots so they all get hit by the splash damage. Also the riflemen can be tough to take out with the shotgun, I recommend the rifle, or HE rockets to clear out snipers in annoying places.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Woolie Wool wrote:So basically you don't know how to use any of the weapons and aren't trying to figure it out? I wouldn't call a rocket type that could take out an entire ledge full of imps in one shot useless. Of course if you're trying to use it on a Baron it won't work very well but I said that in the weapons list.
Sorry about that, I should not be allowed to review things when tired.
SSG singlefire and minigun idle mode still feel useless, as they're far overpowered by their alternatives.
Rifle is too loud.
Other than that, this is pretty beautiful.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

I'm playing this with CC1.wad and at random points (Towards the end of the level I've noticed, but there's nothing really complex happening in these maps, so I'm stumped) I'm getting errors like these:

Code: Select all

"ACS: I don't know what   is"
"Please retry with an arg0 to set the interval in seconds"
And no, the first one isn't a typo, I dunno what it's meaning when it prited that blank.

Other than that? This is alright, and sorta fun.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

Me likey
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

iSpook wrote:I'm playing this with CC1.wad and at random points (Towards the end of the level I've noticed, but there's nothing really complex happening in these maps, so I'm stumped) I'm getting errors like these:

Code: Select all

"ACS: I don't know what   is"
"Please retry with an arg0 to set the interval in seconds"
And no, the first one isn't a typo, I dunno what it's meaning when it prited that blank.

Other than that? This is alright, and sorta fun.
Does it happen when you kill all the enemies, get all the secrets, or collect all items? One of my scripts to give you a 10,000 point bonus is conflicting with...something. Is CC1 a ZDoom wad (I would guess the non-ZDoom Community Chest, but that's cchest.wad)? Do you have any wads with ACS on autoload?

A second alpha with some bug fixes is going up tonight. After that I'm probably going to redo the machine pistol reload animation--it was fine when this wad was just something for me to play when I was bored but since I've made this an actual project I'm going to need to make a proper animation.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

Typing in "Kill monsters" did result in the first error I've mentioned. (CChest.wad didn't have any script lumps and I commented out the only ACS-using autoloading wad I had before I retested it)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”