[WIP/Early] Haze's Pick-ups!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

[WIP/Early] Haze's Pick-ups!

Post by YukiHerz »

Much Shiny, Very Mod, So Doge.

Well, i've been working on this, the idea is to change the pick ups to something more "visible" and more Arcade-ish.

Go here for Screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ctiggt0i1rpmtxq/eUn4dqdxxa

And here for download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj6ghuw55e82s ... ickups.pk3

Everything has FloatBob added.
Added 3D Models for Gzdoom/Zand. (Made by me, ammo pick ups look like quake 3/4, "gl_use_models" cvar can change between 3d and 2d)
Every ammo type has it's own color.

Bullets are Gray/White.
Shells are Yellow.
Rockets are Red.
Cells are Cyan.

Health pickups also changed.

TBD: Power-Ups!.

NOTE: MAY break aestetics, but you're the one to decide that.

Last edited by YukiHerz on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: [WIP/Early] Shiny Pick-ups!

Post by Untitled »

Definitely more arcade-ish; those pickup graphics almost imply a new feeling to the game, despite it being purely aesthetic. Keep going.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

graphically, they look okay, but aesthetically i found it hard at first to identify what pickup belonged to which item. it seemed to me that ammo pickups where marked as cyan to identify that they belong to ammo, but then you find the stimpack, which is two cyan crosses.

speaking of the crosses, apart from their colour, their sizes are indistinguishable to me. i feel the health bonus should be smaller to signal that it's a tiny bonus to my health, but it looks more like it's going to be a stimpack. furthermore, bundling crosses together i feel is a poor way to show that it gives more health. instead, the crosses should grow in size instead, from small, mid, to big, and have a colour-scheme that makes more sense: orange and blue are good contrasting colours, but what's up with that purple? they look like they'd alter your powers/poison you more than trying to heal you. greens and reds are more "healthier" colours, i feel.

as for the ammo... i see that they're using a shared colour-scheme and uniform design to show that they belong to the ammo category, which is good! however, i'm not so sure about the cyan colour. i'd say a warmer colour like orange/yellow-ish feels like it belongs more as ammo. i was also kind of confused the first time i saw a clip, to be honest. maybe making the shapes more recognizable could solve the problem? the clips and shells both feel too bulky and samey for me to be able to identify them as different types of ammo, and the clipbox made little sense to me.

at any rate, i do like the aesthetics of the mod itself. perhaps it doesn't fit as a stand-in for Doom pickups, but could very well fit in a mod of some sorts. i just feel that the pick-ups were a bit confusing to know what they really did.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

about the health pick ups, yeah, i need to work on those, i'm trying to make the ammo pick ups more recognizable.

Thanks for your opinions and critics.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

Doom Colorblind mode?
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Re: [WIP/Early] Haze's Pick-ups!

Post by YukiHerz »

name changed, because it may not be that shiny anymore, added other ammo pick ups, the cell and cell pack ones are bad, can't think of something else, i really should stop this LOL :|.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

Sorry for double posting (yet again), but, UPDATES.

Changed the Cell and Cell Pack sprites, the new ones should be nicer.

COLORS:
Everything has FloatBob added.
Added 3D Models for Gzdoom/Zand. (Made by me, ammo pick ups look like quake 3/4, "gl_use_models" cvar can change between 3d and 2d)
Every ammo type has it's own color.

Bullets are Gray/White.
Shells are Yellow.
Rockets are Red.
Cells are Cyan.

New pictures and updated mod in the dropbox link of the main post.
Pictures show 3d and 2d modes.

NOTE: The Binary looking texture for ammo may be changed to somethin' else.

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

great 3d models, and talking about screenshots...it took me a minutes to load it up on my firefox, but after the minutes, it's such a great modelings!
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

dropbox, not the best place to upload screenies, now gonna revive this, less dolan, more actual modding

Return to “Gameplay Mods”