AvP 2.0 - JDREDALERT's Edition WIP Is Out For Testing !!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jdredalert

Re: AvP 2.0 - JDREDALERT's Edition

Post by jdredalert »

It's been a while since i posted something here. Just wanted to say that we have resumed our works in full speed. Predator new weapon set is almost completely done.

Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Small update and one last poll

Update wise this mod is almost done - still waiting for jd to finalized the sprites and enemies he made but it shouldn't take too long. The delay isn't his fault tho, his computer decided to stop working properly. On top of that he still go to school and he doesn't have much time left to spend finishing the sprites.

Meanwhile, having nothing better to do, i decided to ask you guys a question about the motion tracker. Which one do you prefer?

Version 1(original and present in almost all previous builds)

Version 2(the one currently in the new build)

Version 3(a modified version of version 2)

So which one do you like most?

I know it's been more that a year that you guys are waiting for this release but don't worry this mod isn't dead and unless i die before jd finishes his part(unlikely to happen :P ) this mod will be released. Just be a little more patient.

One last thing, would you be interested to play some kind of demo with the Marine class while jd finishes his work on the Predator and Praetorian classes?

One again great thanks to all for your support, jd and I are really appreciating it :)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Both 2 and 3 look pretty good, I' d say 3, but move the tracker over to the left to fit against the left side of the screen better. Though I will say the first option does have its merits too, since it's smaller and less distracting.

I say yes to a demo as well, in order of classes played I would think for the average player it would go Marine>Predator>Alien, maybe Predator>Marine>Alien.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

-Ghost- wrote:Both 2 and 3 look pretty good, I' d say 3, but move the tracker over to the left to fit against the left side of the screen better. Though I will say the first option does have its merits too, since it's smaller and less distracting.

I say yes to a demo as well, in order of classes played I would think for the average player it would go Marine>Predator>Alien, maybe Predator>Marine>Alien.
The problem with the motion tracker is it doesn't appear at the same place depending of the resolution. For example at a 4:3 resolution ratio it appears exactly at the left corner fitting perfectly but at a 5:4, 16:10 and other widescreen resolutions ratio it appears like in the screenshots. If i adjust the placement for the widescreen resolutions the motion tracker will appears outside of the screen with lower resolution. It's current placement is a compromise i had to make in order to have the motion tracker appears on all resolutions. The reason why it does that is because it's ACS based and not managed by the SBARINFO. With SBARINFO static elements are easy to manage but interactive elements like the motion tracker are a nightmare if not impossible to manage.

As for the demo it would only be the Marine class that would be used - no predator or k-series praetorian. Of course the 3 classes would be in the full version of course but since the marine class is finished it makes it a suitable choice for a demo while the other classes are being finalized.

Thank you for your comment :)
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I think there is a way to fix that, I'd ask around about that.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Valherran wrote:I think there is a way to fix that, I'd ask around about that.
Thanks, i'd love to solve this and get rid of the resolution restriction(for now the max res supported is 1680x1050 because my monitor don't support higher resolutions :P) but if i could "standardized" the motion tracker's placement it would be great :D

Thanks for your comment :)
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Ok a little update ...

First the demo will be released tomorrow afternoon(in about 24 hours) no matter the poll's results.

Secondly thanks to jd's new idea new stuff will be added other than what was originally planned - downside is this will considerably delay the mod's release. That's why the demo will be release tomorrow no matter what.

Finally, you all saw the little problem of the motion tracker's placement and my knowledge is kinda limited to solve this problem. In other words i need someone's help to help me or to show me a way to make the ACS-based motion tracker be always at the same place no matter if the resolution ratio the player uses.

Note : The demo will only have the marine class playable and a video will be released at the same time to show the changes made

Thanks for your support :D
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

The poll's results were kinda tight but here they are

60% for keeping the motion tracker of this build
40% to use the new shorter version of this build
0% for all other choices

Now here is the demo ... that seemed to have been leaked somehow (only 2 persons have it for testing but it's already at 24 downloads on MediaFire :P) Not complaining tho, at least it shows there is still some interest into this mod.

AvP 2.0 Demo - Marine Class Only

Keep in mind that there is no balanced gameplay yet so some maps could seems impossible to play for now - it will be fixed in the full release.

Thanks again for your support and have fun :)
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

As i promised here is a video presentation of the Marine class demo

Happy viewing :D
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

And now, a demonstration of the new Predator in action. The video bellow should be considered a WIP beta footage, and some things might change until the final version. For now, i hope you guys enjoy.

ps: feedback is most appreciated.

-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

What's the average spread for the monster types? Is it biased more towards one or the other, or an even split of humans, aliens, and predators?

Is it possible to set up a setting so you can pick to predominately have one, or maybe set it so the level spawning itself aligns towards one faction? That way, for instance, you'd go through a map as a predator and it's mostly aliens to get a hive feel, or mostly humans to feel like you're sneaking through a base. THen marines get a mix of aliens and the occasional predator, with humans being rarer, etc. I don't know if it's possible or not, just curious since it can feel weird to have too many enemies from different factions together.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Those weapon sprites have vastly improved since the last time I played, and the demos look pretty good.

The only thing that kinda bothers me is that the enemy factions ignore each other completely and go straight for the player which is odd considering the game this is based off of. :lol:
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

The enemies AI isn't set yet. Our priority for jd and me is to finish the sprites and be sure the weapons of all the classes are working correctly. This phase is almost done. However it means the testing and balancing stuff will begin soon and obviously enemies AI is part of this phase. For now the infighting is set in a way that if one faction hit another faction by accident they fight each others otherwise the player is the main target like in Vanilla Doom.

However the problem with the infighting between factions is by the time the player arrived where monster are most of them are dead due to infighting between factions before the player arrived. However, again, i think there is a way to counter this by making the monsters "dormant" and only "wake" when the player is on sight. As for making them fight other factions in priority and then the player i don't know if it's possible because the player is the "primary" target by default but like everything else there is surely a way to change that.

The idea to spawn a certain type of enemies depending on the player class is a great idea it's something that can be achieved but will require a significant amount of time so the question is are you ready to wait for an extended amount of time to see this to be achieved or you want this mod be released as soon as possible.

I can assure you that jd and I are doing our best to make this mod as enjoyable as possible while keeping it challenging enough for the hardcore players.

Thanks for your comments, they are really appreciated :)
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

-Ghost- wrote:What's the average spread for the monster types? Is it biased more towards one or the other, or an even split of humans, aliens, and predators?
So far most enemies comes from the Aliens and corporate mercenaries faction. Runners, spitters, warriors, flying aliens and enemy mercenaries are the most common threats around. Predators are a little more scarce, but also more powerful than the average foes. We had to study carefully the enemy replacements in order to keep the challenge of Doom maps, and not to break some sections (neither too easy, nor too hard). There's also one boss monster for each faction, as showed in some earlier posts, each one replacing one of the Doom's bosses (being the Spider Mastermind, the Cyberdemon AND Romero's head, which also implicates in a new final level for Doom 2 to replace the wall-shooting "Icon of Sin" map).
Valherran wrote:Those weapon sprites have vastly improved since the last time I played, and the demos look pretty good.
Thank you! It's nice to see the hard work being paid off.

And as Endless said, the enemy AI is still primitive. But the idea is to make them fight and kill each other, in a way that the player can participate the carnage.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, no rush on messing with the AI. I think what you've got now works pretty well for now. The only thing as far as factions goes that could be tweaked I think is the mercs. They feel like the least interesting to fight and encounter since they're pretty plain at the moment. Down the road it'd be great to see maybe some visual/audio variation between the grunts, along with more enemy types.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”