AvP 2.0 - JDREDALERT's Edition WIP Is Out For Testing !!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Endless123

Re: AvP 2.0 - JDREDALERT's Edition

Post by Endless123 »

jdredalert wrote:Believe me, a lot changed. It won't be innacurate to say that it's another mod now. Our new Predator is completely different from this one. I would recommend you to create your own code to the weapons instead of trying to adapt the old one. It is too tangled with mod functions, it would be a lot easier if you just create it from scratch.
Agree. The predator class has so many stuff changed and it's heavily relying on ACSs and for anyone to adapt the current predator class would be possible but it would be such a pain in the a## to do because of all the changes and sacrifices needed to adapt it. I personally don't mind if anyone try to customize the predator class for their own mod as long as ppl keep in mind that a shitload of predator-related stuff in the mod is already hard to work with for us (ask jdredalert if you don't believe me :P). Thankfully we did some cleanups in the codes and the ACSs but it's still hard to work with because of all the ACS/HUD/Enemies/player interactions we have to think of every time we make a change i can only imagine it would be hell for someone not familiar with the mod's codes and stuff.

However if somebody use any assets/sprites/sounds don't forget to credit the peoples who made them. I mean there is a ton of great people who contributed to this mod and these people deserve to be mentioned.
SoundOfDarkness

Post by SoundOfDarkness »

jdredalert wrote:I would recommend you to create your own code to the weapons instead of trying to adapt the old one. ... it would be a lot easier if you just create it from scratch.
There's the problem. I'm not skilled enough for that. Sure, I can't and won't demand that you work with KK to add the Predator to Alien Trilogy, especially in way that it still works with older GZDoom versions or Zandronum 3, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to play AT with the Predator.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

jdredalert wrote:Believe me, a lot changed. It won't be innacurate to say that it's another mod now. Our new Predator is completely different from this one.
Now that intrigues me greatly, cus I always thought the previous Pred was pretty clunky in performance.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

SoundOfDarkness wrote: There's the problem. I'm not skilled enough for that. Sure, I can't and won't demand that you work with KK to add the Predator to Alien Trilogy, especially in way that it still works with older GZDoom versions or Zandronum 3, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to play AT with the Predator.
I think what Endless123 meant about compatibility was if someone tries to replicate the Predator class exactly like it is in AvP mod, with all the mod specific features, etc. But it's not that difficult to re-create the weapons (which are, in essence, simple melee and projectile weapons) for another mod, and the most basic functions of the Predator, cloaking and vision modes, are completely possible under Zandronum limitations (and the reason why it doesn't work with Zandro now is a lot of G/ZDoom specific functions the mod uses, nothing related to vision modes since it does support OpenGl effects, as you can see in this screenshot taken with Zandronum).
Valherran wrote: Now that intrigues me greatly, cus I always thought the previous Pred was pretty clunky in performance.
Me too, that's why i tried to give the Pred a special treatment in therms of gameplay. It always felt too rough on the edges. If you watch the Predator demo again and compare with the old Pred, you'll see what i mean.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I think this will be the last bad guy i add to the final version. The infamous Xenoborg from Rebellion's original Alien vs Predator is about to be added to the enemy rooster. Any thoughts?

(conceived using parts of Virtue's old Cyber Imp)
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

jdredalert wrote:I think this will be the last bad guy i add to the final version. The infamous Xenoborg from Rebellion's original Alien vs Predator is about to be added to the enemy rooster. Any thoughts?

(conceived using parts of Virtue's old Cyber Imp)
Is that the 1.0 or 2.0?
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Oh, great! :) I wished that Xenoborgs would come to this mod! Will they gain a more silvery shine (since in AvP games they looked as to possess a metallic cyber-exoskeleton)? What will be their allegiance? And what will be their weapons?
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Xenoborgs will be based in their AvP incarnations: slow but tough enemies. Since they are developed by Wey-Yu corporation, they'll be part of the <ercenaries faction. However they are experimental weapons, so they might go rogue at some point. I'm thinking about adding some flame cannons (similar to the ones by Mancubus in Doom) plus some energy based attacks, railguns perhaps. It must be a somewhat strong enemy, but no too overpowered as a boss-type one.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

The avp1 version was designed to attack anything that moved, going neutral only when hibernating. Spawn as any race or class and they would still want to leave you as a smear on the floor.

To be honest, with that much fire power, they don't need friends :p
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Yeah, but in AvP 1 there was no "corporates" faction, what could justify this aggressive behavior. Everything that moved was the enemy because there were only aliens, predators and USCM running around. What i want to do is to make them not attack the wey-yu corps at sight, but still make them prone to "commit mistakes" (meaning, be able to hit and kill their fellow mercenaries by accident) due to the prototype character of them.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

jdredalert wrote:Yeah, but in AvP 1 there was no "corporates" faction, what could justify this aggressive behavior. Everything that moved was the enemy because there were only aliens, predators and USCM running around. What i want to do is to make them not attack the wey-yu corps at sight, but still make them prone to "commit mistakes" (meaning, be able to hit and kill their fellow mercenaries by accident) due to the prototype character of them.
Ah, you are using the 1.0 version. Those were programmed the same way the sentry guns were, and they attacked the closest target that moved regardless of what it was.
iceranan1979

Post by iceranan1979 »

Looks freakin' awesome! Can't wait to test it now :D
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

MAP30 WIP.

Since the Queen now replaces the Icon of Sin as the final boss, a custom MAP30 had to be made. Just started today and i'm having some fun, considering that i'm not that much into mapping.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

First of all i apologize for not releasing anything for a long time. I lost contact with jd a month ago and i don't know what's going on. All i know so far is he was working on the MAP30 and some new stuff. That was a month ago - haven't heard of him ever since. I really hope he is alright and everything is fine. I know too well how real life can screw what has been planned for a long time.

The sad part of this is ... without JD i can't finish this mod because he is the one adding all the new sprites and animations along with the new enemies and look of the existing enemies.

I'll keep you inform of the situation as it goes.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Well i'm alive, but i'm sorting out some stuff in my life lately. Sorry about the inconvenience, we'll keep you guys informed of further advances.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”