Hard-Doom v8.3.1 - Updated 10/15/18

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Faerlyn

Hard-Doom v8.3.1 - Updated 10/15/18

Post by Faerlyn »

Current Revision: Version 8.3.1

Hard Doom Website

Hard Doom ModDB Page

Hard Doom Discord Link

Hard Doom is a replacement/enhancement mod that replaces all monsters in Doom 2 with versions that are similar in role, but more dangerous. In general, Hard-Doom is geared towards players who want a more difficult, genuine survival experience, and it has a variety of visual effects that are more subtle and don't block your view of the action. Over the years since its initial release, it has been meticulously balanced and rebalanced, with new features and effects added to make this a great mod to play through the popular megawads with, without changing Doom's flavor or core gameplay.

The latest version now also now works between Zandronum and ZDoom.

Changes in v8.3.1:

Code: Select all

1. Fixed a typo in the Minigunner's XDeath state. This should fix the bug where he can't drop a Minigun when gibbed.
2. Fixed the missing bullet decals on the Nazi Officer.
3. Made bullet casings fade out when fully submerged in water.
4. Adjusted the torch effect so it should always render when in view and never render when not in view.
5. Fixed fast monster support. Now enemies melee is fast and Demon's movement is fast.
Changes in v8.3:

<> Monsters <>
1. Changed the projectile pattern of the Daedabus.
2. Removed the dark red blood color from the Daedabus.
3. Lowered the scale slightly on the Daedabus projectiles to better fit the actual projectile size.
4. Adjusted the projectile trails on the Crackodemon.
5. Lowered the speed of the Crackodemon from 12 to 10.
6. Raised the spread of the Dual-Pistol Zombie's single shots from 9 to 11.25.
7. Made the A_FaceTargets on the Cyberfiend's lunge 4 tics shorter.
8. Raised the distance of the Cyberfiend's lunge slightly.
9. Adjusted the Demon/Spectre melee attacks. The bite now happens a little faster but the melee state still remains 18 tics.
10. Raised the speed of the Pyro Demon's fireshot projectiles from 15 to 16.
11. Raised the radius of the Pyro Demon's fireshot from 8 to 10.
12. Raised the max turn angle of the Pyro Demon's pyroblast from 2 to 4.
13. Halved the direct damage of the Pyro Demon's firebomb explosions and adjusted the explosion radius values (+/-16 from before).
14. Adjusted the Fusion Arachnotron's missile state and raised the projectile speed from 16 to 18.
15. Adjusted the Arachnotron MK3's missile state, projectile scale, trail, and spawn height slightly.
16. Removed a needless 5 tics at the start of the Dark Cyber and Spider's BFG10K attacks.
17. Changed the spread of the Dark Cyber's BFG10K. The first shot now has 0 spread and the other shots have (-3,3) (was -2,2).
18. The Dark Cyber now has a 15 tic delay between the last BFG10K shot and the first rocket instead of 6 tics.
19. Raised the Dual-Chaingunner's spread from 23.625 to 24.75.
20. Raised the Demolisher's chaingun spread from 22.5 to 24.75.
21. Reworked the Dark Spider's missile state. The BFG10k spread is now 0 for the first shot and (-4,4) for the others (was -2,2). It can now use the BFG10K two times in a row and alternate between chaingun and the BFG10K.
22. Made the A_FaceTargets on the Shadowviles wraith attack 20 tics instead of 24 tics.
23. Raised the speed of the Pyro Imp's projectiles from 12 to 14.
24. Raised the damage of the Hell's Fury baron ball projectiles from 8 to 10.
25. Adjusted the Hellfire Revenant's missiles. They will no longer collide with the ground when fired from a high height. They are also slightly less aggressive.
26. Lowered the radius of the Bruiser Demon's bruiserball from 16 to 14.
27. Lowered the explosion radius of the Bruiser Demon's floorhugger projectile from 128 to 112.
28. Fixed the B2 sprite of the Faceless Shotgunner.
29. Added new death frames to the Archon of Hell.

<> Weapons <>
1. Added Coop-MThru bullets. No more shooting teammates!
2. Swapped the weapon slot priorities of the Rocket Launcher and Grenade Launcher.
3. The Quad-Shotgun is now loaded when you first acquire it.
4. Lowered the drop rate of the Quad-Shotgun from 25% to 20%. This results in a 1% chance per ShotgunGuy spawn.
5. Added improved Quad-Shotgun sprites.
6. Added slight screen shake when alt-firing the Quad-Shotgun.

<> Other <>
1. Removed the CVar "sv_coopprojectiles". However Coop-MThru projectiles still remain.
2. Recoded the torch/flare effects. They should now behave online like they did in Zandronum 2.1 and prior. More frames for everyone! :)
Hard Doom Bestiary
Spoiler:
Screenshots(old):
Spoiler:
CVARS For Hosting

sv_shotgunstart - Enable this to start with the Shotgun and 8 Shells. (Zandronum Only)
sv_ssgdrop - Enable this to make SSGers drop the SSG.
sv_smartaim 3 - Make sure to set this so BFG tracers won't hit other players.
Download Links:
Link 1

v8.3.1 Invasion Patch:
Link 1

v8.x Only Ammo Respawns:
Link 1

Hard-Doom v8.3.1 Lite:
Link 1
Last edited by Faerlyn on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 26 times in total.
niculinux

Re: Hard-Doom v6.3.2 - Updated 1/24/14

Post by niculinux »

Thank you very much. Is it fully copatible with other mods eg iwad pwad and eventually freedoom?
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

niculinux wrote:Thank you very much. Is it fully copatible with other mods eg iwad pwad and eventually freedoom?
Mostly. It no longer uses setslot to declare weapons, which is fantastic. It does still need to use KEYCONF to clear and declare playerclasses, in order to maintain Zandronum compatibility, so it won't be compatible with other mods that use the current MAPINFO method.
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

Ed the Bat wrote:
niculinux wrote:Thank you very much. Is it fully copatible with other mods eg iwad pwad and eventually freedoom?
Mostly. It no longer uses setslot to declare weapons, which is fantastic. It does still need to use KEYCONF to clear and declare playerclasses, in order to maintain Zandronum compatibility, so it won't be compatible with other mods that use the current MAPINFO method.
Ok thanks...i'm really not into doom programming (i barely know how to turn on a pc) but seems very interesting. Possibly, gotta try out with latest freedoom version, 0.8. Thanks again!
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

Ok given a very very very quick try with freedoom 2 IWAD file, weapons seems to work but some shows up with the original freedoom sequence, like the regular shotgun:

Faerlyn

Post by Faerlyn »

niculinux wrote:Ok given a very very very quick try with freedoom 2 IWAD file, weapons seems to work but some shows up with the original freedoom sequence, like the regular shotgun:

This is because Freedoom is an iwad and Hard-Doom doesn't replace weapon sprites. :)

Also... I've created a little website for Hard-Doom which now contains the download links. Also I'm going to be releasing an update tomorrow to fix the small amount of bugs that exist in 6.3.2 as well as improving the Sonic Railgun, and the Hells Fury.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

When the update comes, will I get credited with the bestiary info?
Faerlyn

Post by Faerlyn »

dljosef wrote:When the update comes, will I get credited with the bestiary info?
You already are! :)
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

And there's a random error that keeps crashing GZDoom.

C0000095 (Integer Overflow)
Address: 0144AD7A
I have no idea what causes that.
Faerlyn

Post by Faerlyn »

dljosef wrote:And there's a random error that keeps crashing GZDoom.

No clue! I only use ZDoom and Zandronum and have yet to see this error. It might be something related to just GZDoom.

Also version 6.3.3 has been released! I wasn't able to upload it yesterday due to not having internet. :shock:
Siberian Tiger
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro. 22H2
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Siberian Tiger »

dljosef wrote:And there's a random error that keeps crashing GZDoom.

I am just guessing, but are you using the latest GZDoom version available or the latest developmental build?
dljosef

Re: Hard-Doom v6.3.3 - Updated 4/2/14

Post by dljosef »

@Siberian Tiger - I have the latest developmental build now. However, I'm starting to save at certain points more often because the crashing still happens at random points.

Crashing aside, I noticed that making rictus skulls kamikaze can pretty easily work against the enemies given the right circumstances. (Having small blast radius sure as hell helps.)
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

the Gamefront mirror seems to be down for me. is it a site-wide thing? i could download it just fine some days ago.
Faerlyn

Post by Faerlyn »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:the Gamefront mirror seems to be down for me. is it a site-wide thing? i could download it just fine some days ago.
I've added a second mirror to download the file from. This way if this happens with Gamefront to anyone else they can still get the file. :)

Edit: I'm messing around with a new HUD currently. It will most likely be in the next release, so let me know what you think of it.
Spoiler:
Faerlyn

Re: Hard-Doom v6.9 - Updated 5/7/14

Post by Faerlyn »

Version 6.9 is released! The next version was supposed to be v7 and have three new enemies but I decided to release it as is for now as v6.9. :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”