Hard-Doom v8.3.1 - Updated 10/15/18

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MaxRideWizardLord

Re: Hard-Doom v8.3.1 - Updated 10/15/18

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Faerlyn wrote:Updated to version 8.3.1! This release also includes an updated Lite version. Nothing major (unless you like fast monsters?) just some small fixes to things that were bugging me.
Any chance you can make an alternative lite version, but all of the monsters are unaltered, unchanged and not nerfed in slightest way? Basically, all the original monsters from either realm667 or whereever you took them. This would be great for gameplay mods.
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Hey, thanks for making Lite version. I'm going to use it with some powerful weapon mods.
Faerlyn

Post by Faerlyn »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Any chance you can make an alternative lite version, but all of the monsters are unaltered, unchanged and not nerfed in slightest way? Basically, all the original monsters from either realm667 or whereever you took them. This would be great for gameplay mods.
This would be far too much work for what its worth. Especially considering I would then have to massively buff or maybe redesign enemies that were made specifically for the mod. I would just enable fast monsters if you plan on using some OP weapon mods with it.
namsan wrote:Hey, thanks for making Lite version. I'm going to use it with some powerful weapon mods.
Yeah it's pretty fun doing that. That's why I fixed fast monsters and made a small update to 8.3.1. :D
MaxRideWizardLord

Faerlyn wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Any chance you can make an alternative lite version, but all of the monsters are unaltered, unchanged and not nerfed in slightest way? Basically, all the original monsters from either realm667 or whereever you took them. This would be great for gameplay mods.
This would be far too much work for what its worth. Especially considering I would then have to massively buff or maybe redesign enemies that were made specifically for the mod. I would just enable fast monsters if you plan on using some OP weapon mods with it.
Isn't it would be easy to just to download the original monsters and toss them in one file? I can't even know the name of the half of monsters that are in this mod, let alone where you download them, so it won't be as easy for me. If you can remember where you took them, just replaced the old ones, shouldn't take much time, or it is?

Fast monsters won't really change anything, since it would be same monsters that just die from one shot and take same basic action to kill or dodge. Besides there is always a "fast monsters" option in the Gzdoom (Esc>options>gameplay>fast monsters on) anyway.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Isn't it would be easy to just to download the original monsters and toss them in one file? I can't even know the name of the half of monsters that are in this mod, let alone where you download them, so it won't be as easy for me. If you can remember where you took them, just replaced the old ones, shouldn't take much time, or it is?
Then go do that. Do you have to bitch and moan in every single thread? Faerlyn is providing a service here, balancing the monsters in a way that she sees fit, to create something that's both challenging and fun, she is not required BY ANY MEANS to provide the originals for you. It should be pretty obvious what they are - she never modified the sprites - you can go do it yourself if it's really that big of a deal for you. It isn't as hard as you say it is to figure out what they are.

Oh, wouldn't you know, as it turns out, she did provide a list of the originals. Lo and behold! Taken directly from the first post!
Faerlyn wrote:Hard Doom Bestiary
Spoiler:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Faerlyn wrote:This would be far too much work for what its worth. Especially considering I would then have to massively buff or maybe redesign enemies that were made specifically for the mod. I would just enable fast monsters if you plan on using some OP weapon mods with it.
FWIW, GZDoom now has ways you can adjust damage to certain actors, directly. "sv_damagefactorfriendly" is how much friendly monsters take, "sv_damagefactorplayer" is how much players take, and "sv_damagefactormobj" is for everything else. The factors are multiplicative.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Rachael wrote:It should be pretty obvious what they are - she never modified the sprites
I do have to point out, yeah, some are modified. :P
Faerlyn

Post by Faerlyn »

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a CVAR like "hd_classic" which would enable a classic mode. In classic mode it would only spawn the original enemy lineup and the enemies that used to drop the Skulltag weapons will drop them. Thoughts?
Stock-Doom

Post by Stock-Doom »

Faerlyn wrote:I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a CVAR like "hd_classic" which would enable a classic mode. In classic mode it would only spawn the original enemy lineup and the enemies that used to drop the Skulltag weapons will drop them. Thoughts?
That's actually a good idea. Just in case some mods don't work correctly with the enemies spawners or just want to play vanilla with hard-doom weapons.
Faerlyn

Post by Faerlyn »

Stock-Doom wrote:That's actually a good idea. Just in case some mods don't work correctly with the enemies spawners or just want to play vanilla with hard-doom weapons.
I meant more like uhh... the original enemy lineup of Hard Doom. The original enemy lineup from v1 of the mod. So no randomly spawned enemies. I guess the way I worded it was a little weird.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

The Lite version is monsters only yes?
MaxRideWizardLord

Faerlyn wrote:
Stock-Doom wrote:That's actually a good idea. Just in case some mods don't work correctly with the enemies spawners or just want to play vanilla with hard-doom weapons.
I meant more like uhh... the original enemy lineup of Hard Doom. The original enemy lineup from v1 of the mod. So no randomly spawned enemies. I guess the way I worded it was a little weird.
Sounds great! As long it will have guys like Pyrodemon and other classical dudes with option to disable weapon drops (just so it won't mess up with gameplay mods that add weapons itself) I'd love to have it.
Faerlyn

Post by Faerlyn »

Gideon020 wrote:The Lite version is monsters only yes?
Yup!
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Sounds great! As long it will have guys like Pyrodemon and other classical dudes with option to disable weapon drops (just so it won't mess up with gameplay mods that add weapons itself) I'd love to have it.
It wouldn't spawn the pyro actually! Just the original monster lineup from v1 with no random spawns. I would add this CVAR to the lite version also so people could use it if they wanted with other mods.
Faerlyn

Post by Faerlyn »

Here is a little thing I put together for Christmas for Hard Doom. It's best used with maps that don't use a lot of custom textures. I find it goes really well with something like Hell Revealed. :D

https://www.mediafire.com/file/39bvj1fb ... s.zip/file

EDIT: Changed the link to the final version released Dec. 10th!
MrDeun

Post by MrDeun »

Awesome mod, but its there way to get that custom hud from mod itself? I really enjoyed using it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”