GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby Combine_Kegan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 am

Knightmare_Incarnate wrote:I've Been a fan of GMOTA since v0.9.3 man! I love your mod to death!

I love the new changes to the combat, the stamina bar was really annoying on v0.9.9 as it breaks the flow of combat. I also love the way you balanced out things by having the player search out the upgrades, giving the player a sense of pride and accomplishment. It really feels like an old school beat'em up/ rpg, reminiscent of Dungeons and dragons arcade games.

The only criticism I have though is that the DoomSlayer is...well pretty basic just as you'd endorsed... and that makes him a little underpowered compared to Lord Blaz. His self sustain is pretty low since the dagger heals so little and it's cool downtime is too long. I get the grenade but not the dagger. I play the Doomslayer like how I play Vermintide, methodical. His speed does not really change anything and can be a bit visually straining (at least for me) making it very hard to play on autorun. Nothing really to comment about lord Blaz, he's perfect. I'm wondering if you're gonna try and ...flesh out(?) his gameplay like what you did with Blaz. I really do hope so too since he's awesome to play as. Also, the way the enemies....talk is...kind of...idk, weird. I mean I know that you were going for but they just came off as... extremely cheesy and weird, this is just personal preference though.

All in all, I love this mod. Will this be the final version? or will you keep updating it?


Also Lord Blaz's design reminds me of a certain goblin slaying adventurer. So I made this. Well not really made, just recolored. The resemblance is uncanny, no?(goblin slayer pics here)


Ah you've found my topic here as well, I've seen you talk about GMOTA here and there and post your fan edit. Funny you mention Doomslayer feeling underpowered, I've had a few people say Doomslayer is OP and Blaz is underpowered. I feel his gameplay is pretty solid, I recommend getting more aggressive as Doomslayer, use your shotgun weapons and swap between them frequently, make full use for your quick sword melee altfire attack, and put the pressure on, you'll find most enemies crumple under Doomslayer.

Regarding the monsters being cheesy and weird, that's 100% intentional, I had too much fun making strange and slightly endearing monsters, so I've just kinda rolled with it.

As for updates? Hell yes. I feel bad because I've never really mentioned my plans here on my own thread, but yes. I plan on adding two more playable heroes in the future, the next character will be Kustam, a warforged with a telescopic staff, rifle, and a chargable mighty boot kick. Then Samson will come down in a later update, he's a little kobold that will specialize in arcing flasks and grenade weapons.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby Knightmare_Incarnate » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:44 am

Combine_Kegan wrote:
Knightmare_Incarnate wrote:
Spoiler:


Spoiler:


Oh wow...do I really talk about GMOTA that much? hahaha well I just love it so much man. I alternate yours and Terminus's mods. I like his too and I've seen that you two are pretty close.

>huh, now that you mention it, I never did seem to utilize the guns to the full extent. always the sword. oh well. Still pretty awesome.

>wait so that "Oh no! I dead!" when the cybermancer dies was intentional? Also you made those sounds?! I thought that you ripped them from old arcade games as they seemed to sound like those.

>So we're gonna get an Iron Golem sniper next? AWESOME!

>Also, the abilities of Samson. you mean something like this?
[youtube]https://youtu.be/UMKTalDGOWg[/youtube] (this isnt my video)
User avatar
Knightmare_Incarnate
 
Joined: 10 Jul 2018

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby Combine_Kegan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:43 am

Knightmare_Incarnate wrote:
Combine_Kegan wrote:
Knightmare_Incarnate wrote:
Spoiler:


Spoiler:


Oh wow...do I really talk about GMOTA that much? hahaha well I just love it so much man. I alternate yours and Terminus's mods. I like his too and I've seen that you two are pretty close.

>huh, now that you mention it, I never did seem to utilize the guns to the full extent. always the sword. oh well. Still pretty awesome.

>wait so that "Oh no! I dead!" when the cybermancer dies was intentional? Also you made those sounds?! I thought that you ripped them from old arcade games as they seemed to sound like those.

>So we're gonna get an Iron Golem sniper next? AWESOME!

>Also, the abilities of Samson. you mean something like this?
[youtube]https://youtu.be/UMKTalDGOWg[/youtube] (this isnt my video)


The Cybermancer's voiceclips are all pitch shifted voices from the X-men arcade game, they're a little altered and mixed up thanks to Yholl's up, but the original voiceclips aren't much better, I love engrish. Regarding Samson it's more along the lines of throwing them rather than firing them out of a launcher, though I'm not terribly familiar with paladins
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby RustyController » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:43 am

yo whats some goooooodmaps to play this with? cuz i got shit diddily to use it with, i really just rock it with whatever mappack i like (i even played it on demonus ex, that one deus ex feeling map, it clashed hilariously like a hawaiian shirt at a funeral)
RustyController
 
Joined: 04 Sep 2017

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby armymen12002003 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:18 pm

I still really would love to see this compatible with either heretic or hexen.
User avatar
armymen12002003
Hostile!
 
Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Location: LV-426

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby killbotvii » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:32 pm

armymen12002003 wrote:I still really would love to see this compatible with either heretic or hexen.

Seconded. It really is a shame that it's incompatible because of just how much it would make perfect sense for it.
killbotvii
 
Joined: 03 Jun 2015

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby Valherran » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:21 pm

killbotvii wrote:
armymen12002003 wrote:I still really would love to see this compatible with either heretic or hexen.

Seconded. It really is a shame that it's incompatible because of just how much it would make perfect sense for it.


Especially Hexen, which is more melee combat oriented in design.
User avatar
Valherran
 
Joined: 27 Oct 2009

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby Combine_Kegan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:24 am

Not much of a big update but I've added a roadmap to help convey what I got planned for future updates, I've surprised a few people when I said I plan on updating GMOTA more, so my bad, have a little roadmap.
I'll be working on v1.3 once I get the next Combined_Arms update out, which shouldn't be too far off.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby panzersoldat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:44 am

Hi there! Seeing this mod is getting updated relatively soon, I have two (or three?) suggestions to make :

I noticed the Doomslayer doesn't have his own music jukebox yet. If he ever gets his own jukebox, how about adding SNES versions of Doom music for his jukebox? Doesn't have to be the official Doom SNES tracks, you can also use fan versions of these if you want. I think that would be really fitting, since the mod is inspired by SNES games from the 90's, and Doomslayer is quite literally Doomguy with Doom-esque gameplay. Lord Blaz could also get some Wolfenstein SNES tracks too while at it, but that's your choice.

I'd also like if you could add a "Random" class option when selecting a class. I love playing mods with Oblige (the random Doom level generator) and I like to pick a random class from the list everytime I play a new megawad. Since the mod will eventually have four characters total, I think it would be nice to have an option to choose one of them randomly, because otherwise I usually stick to one or two classes only and pretty much never play the rest, either because of disinterest or because I'm too comfortable with a specific class. This is the gripe I have with Doom Roguelike Arsenal is that I love the Marine class so much I never switch to anything else much. The other classes are really cool and awesome, but I just can't help but spray and pray with a Plasma Rifle like an idiot for half an hour non-stop.

Do you plan on making updates for Space Hunter too? I love that mod and I wish it could have more stuff added to it someday...
panzersoldat
 
Joined: 26 Mar 2018

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby Combine_Kegan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:44 am

panzersoldat wrote:Hi there! Seeing this mod is getting updated relatively soon, I have two (or three?) suggestions to make :

I noticed the Doomslayer doesn't have his own music jukebox yet. If he ever gets his own jukebox, how about adding SNES versions of Doom music for his jukebox? Doesn't have to be the official Doom SNES tracks, you can also use fan versions of these if you want. I think that would be really fitting, since the mod is inspired by SNES games from the 90's, and Doomslayer is quite literally Doomguy with Doom-esque gameplay. Lord Blaz could also get some Wolfenstein SNES tracks too while at it, but that's your choice.

I'd also like if you could add a "Random" class option when selecting a class. I love playing mods with Oblige (the random Doom level generator) and I like to pick a random class from the list everytime I play a new megawad. Since the mod will eventually have four characters total, I think it would be nice to have an option to choose one of them randomly, because otherwise I usually stick to one or two classes only and pretty much never play the rest, either because of disinterest or because I'm too comfortable with a specific class. This is the gripe I have with Doom Roguelike Arsenal is that I love the Marine class so much I never switch to anything else much. The other classes are really cool and awesome, but I just can't help but spray and pray with a Plasma Rifle like an idiot for half an hour non-stop.

Do you plan on making updates for Space Hunter too? I love that mod and I wish it could have more stuff added to it someday...


Funny you should mention the Doomslayer's lack of a jukebox. I've toyed with the idea later on of making a randomizer for him that picks tracks from everyone else's playlists once I get those in, we'll see how much of a nightmare that is to pull off, but as of right now I kept Doomslayer without a jukebox seeing as he's the most "vanilla" ish guy, so it made sense to me to have him play whatever music the mapset comes with.

I removed the random class option to keep the character select menu clean, I might add it back in later, but I can't make any promises on that just yet.

As for updating Space Hunter, yeah, I've thought about it, but my problem is I'm not sure what the heck I could possibly add to it. Other than tweak a few weapon stats.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby panzersoldat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Combine_Kegan wrote:
panzersoldat wrote:Hi there! Seeing this mod is getting updated relatively soon, I have two (or three?) suggestions to make :

I noticed the Doomslayer doesn't have his own music jukebox yet. If he ever gets his own jukebox, how about adding SNES versions of Doom music for his jukebox? Doesn't have to be the official Doom SNES tracks, you can also use fan versions of these if you want. I think that would be really fitting, since the mod is inspired by SNES games from the 90's, and Doomslayer is quite literally Doomguy with Doom-esque gameplay. Lord Blaz could also get some Wolfenstein SNES tracks too while at it, but that's your choice.

I'd also like if you could add a "Random" class option when selecting a class. I love playing mods with Oblige (the random Doom level generator) and I like to pick a random class from the list everytime I play a new megawad. Since the mod will eventually have four characters total, I think it would be nice to have an option to choose one of them randomly, because otherwise I usually stick to one or two classes only and pretty much never play the rest, either because of disinterest or because I'm too comfortable with a specific class. This is the gripe I have with Doom Roguelike Arsenal is that I love the Marine class so much I never switch to anything else much. The other classes are really cool and awesome, but I just can't help but spray and pray with a Plasma Rifle like an idiot for half an hour non-stop.

Do you plan on making updates for Space Hunter too? I love that mod and I wish it could have more stuff added to it someday...


Funny you should mention the Doomslayer's lack of a jukebox. I've toyed with the idea later on of making a randomizer for him that picks tracks from everyone else's playlists once I get those in, we'll see how much of a nightmare that is to pull off, but as of right now I kept Doomslayer without a jukebox seeing as he's the most "vanilla" ish guy, so it made sense to me to have him play whatever music the mapset comes with.

I removed the random class option to keep the character select menu clean, I might add it back in later, but I can't make any promises on that just yet.

As for updating Space Hunter, yeah, I've thought about it, but my problem is I'm not sure what the heck I could possibly add to it. Other than tweak a few weapon stats.


Well, there's many things you could add to Space Hunter, like you did with GMOTA. GMOTA is very much an SNES-inspired mod while Space Hunter is very NES-based. Both Lord Blaz and Doomslayer are inspired by Id Software characters, so you can see there's a pattern here. Just do the same with Space Hunter as well. Basically, take gameplay styles from other NES games and then convert them into Space Hunter. For example : how about adding Crash (from Quake 3) and Ranger (Quake series) into Space Hunter? Crash (real name Arlene Sanders) would be the new main protagonist of Space Hunter (badass bounty hunter girl) replacing the default class in Space Hunter (in turn, having the same gameplay as in Space Hunter but with some more powerups and move sets), while Ranger would be one of the additional characters with some melee focused weapons and moves. Most Nintendo NES games have some form of close up melee gameplay, such as Mario and Zelda, and I thought it fits with Ranger given he already has an axe as a weapon and a very muscular appearance. This is just an example of my point, not a literal suggestion. What I mean is : having more characters that reflect the gameplay style of different NES games or just different gameplay style in general, however you feel like. GMOTA did this so well with the juxtaposition of Doomslayer and Blazkowicz that I thought it would be nice to have something similar in Space Hunter as well, where each character you pick changes the gameplay style upside down and makes you re-think the maps.

I think the only powerups I miss about Metroid in Space Hunter are definitely the Morph Ball, the Charge Beam and the Speed Booster, in my opinion. You did a good job with the Screw Attack and I found it nice you kinda merged the functions of the Space Jump Boots from Metroid Prime with the Screw Attack of Metroid, so you have both of these functions in just one powerup. The double jump is literally the Screw Attack, which is just perfect. I'd LOVE to see the Speed Booster in Doom someday, as it's my favorite powerup of Metroid games. Not only I love running through weak enemies with just the sheer force of speed but I adore the Shinespark ability too. I don't know if the latter is feasible in Doom but it would be seriously impressive to pull off if that was done. I think the Charge Beam could be an extra function for the Power Beam and Ice Beams so that if you hold your shots you can deal more damage at the cost of more ammo and the possibility of missing the shot. This would add an extra layer of strategy to the Power Beam and the Ice Beam while still keeping the automatic fire of the Wave Beam.

I don't know if this is possible (or even feasible) but I have this idea of a powerup that allows you to walljump and cling into walls once picked up, similar JP Mobility Mod (https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=53665&p=943329). Basically, a powerup that allows the player to play the game like Metroid 2/Super Metroid, with walljumping and clinging on walls. Maybe it could be merged with the Speed Booster in order to avoid the cluttering of powerups.

This was just brainstorming some ideas from the bottom of this piece of bones called my skull. One thing that would literally improve the mod is if you could replace the vanilla Doom sounds with NES variants, kinda like 2A03SFX.wad (a sound mod that changes all sounds in Doom with NES-sounding ones), because I find it kinda odd the mod replaces sounds for most of the weapons and items but keeps the Doom enemies and environment sounds the same. Speaking of sounds, the mod could also come with it's own NES music jukebox too, which would benefit the whole NES ambiance even more.

I hope I'm not annoying anyone with my incessant babbling. I just really like Space Hunter a fuckin' lot lol.
panzersoldat
 
Joined: 26 Mar 2018

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby Combine_Kegan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Well that's a lot of ideas, but you gotta understand that Space Hunter was modelled specifically after the original NES Metroid, so no space jump, no speed booster, and no charge beam, in fact I was doing a bit of an asspull with the plasma beam and I felt like I was really pushing it. I also don't want to add enhanced mobility stuff to Space Hunter, I'd sooner keep it simplistic, and unfortunately I don't think more player classes will happen either. Adding new playable classes takes a lot of time when I start adding new weapons and spritework and overhauling how the weapon pickup system works. Besides, I plan on adding a weapon set inspired by the NES Zelda for Combined_Arms later down the road, so that'll be a thing to look for in the future.

Regarding the morphball, Metroid Dreadnought did that and the speedbooster, along with walljumps, that might be more what you're after, and finally, regarding the sound changes, I wanted it that way, I wanted it mainly to be focused on Doomguy wielding a rifle inspired by the NES Metroid arsenal and splattering Doom monsters, so I intentionally aimed for that weird matchup.

And actually Lord Blaz was more inspired by Adol Christin of Ys and Arthur of Ghosts n Goblins.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby panzersoldat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:52 pm

Combine_Kegan wrote:Well that's a lot of ideas, but you gotta understand that Space Hunter was modelled specifically after the original NES Metroid, so no space jump, no speed booster, and no charge beam, in fact I was doing a bit of an asspull with the plasma beam and I felt like I was really pushing it. I also don't want to add enhanced mobility stuff to Space Hunter, I'd sooner keep it simplistic, and unfortunately I don't think more player classes will happen either. Adding new playable classes takes a lot of time when I start adding new weapons and spritework and overhauling how the weapon pickup system works. Besides, I plan on adding a weapon set inspired by the NES Zelda for Combined_Arms later down the road, so that'll be a thing to look for in the future.

Regarding the morphball, Metroid Dreadnought did that and the speedbooster, along with walljumps, that might be more what you're after, and finally, regarding the sound changes, I wanted it that way, I wanted it mainly to be focused on Doomguy wielding a rifle inspired by the NES Metroid arsenal and splattering Doom monsters, so I intentionally aimed for that weird matchup.

And actually Lord Blaz was more inspired by Adol Christin of Ys and Arthur of Ghosts n Goblins.

I understand where you're coming from. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Metroid Dreadnought since it's basically *just* a weapons mod and doesn't replace the enemies or their behavior at all, so when I play it, it feels like a weird mishmash between Doom and Metroid that doesn't "irk" with me well because both things aren't very balanced for each other. I feel like Space Hunter does a better job at "emulating" Metroid in Doom because it literally changes all aspects of gameplay and not just weapons and tries to marry them together in a single idea. But I see where you're coming from with the idea of Metroid NES purism, and I respect that. How about Super Space Hunter then? Haha just joking on that one.

The Plasma Beam is frankly a bit underpowered in my opinion, especially in comparison to the missile powerup (the one that makes the missiles more powerful as they travel) which is frankly overpowered as heck in comparison to all other weapons. I think these two weapons could be revised, rebalanced or outright replaced. Other than that, the mod plays pretty much perfectly and that's what matters in the end.
panzersoldat
 
Joined: 26 Mar 2018

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby Bezhael » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:39 pm

I like the fact that Shao Kahn's voice is in this mod. Yeah, I recognize that voice anywhere.
Bezhael
 
Joined: 29 Sep 2017

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Postby Ninobanaani » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:56 am

Just wanna say, this mod is so far my absolute favorite of all! It feels so refined it could almost be it's own game, with how the mechanics are simple and easy to understand, but still kinda complex on how they work, along with how satisfying and fun it is to play. I absolutely love it. The only complaints I have is that with the doomslayer, it can feel kinda easy at times, partly 'cause the shotgun fellas are a bit too slow to start shooting at you, and also the bug that they can't shoot downwards or upwards, only to their front.

I am very hyped for what more you're gonna add to this!
User avatar
Ninobanaani
 
Joined: 21 Aug 2018

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Valherran and 7 guests