Page 34 of 55

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:12 pm
by quake3guy
wildweasel wrote:
quake3guy wrote:Coolness! One other thing I noticed is that Zarach can get permanently lost if thrown with insufficient arcane power to recover it, but it takes no power to throw. Maybe if the arcane power expense were applied up-front, so Blaz couldn't throw it in such a situation thus preventing him from being without his sword (until he manages to find some crystals, which makes it reappear if he had reloaded with the gauntlets up at some point in the past.) So if he has 70+ arcane power, he can throw it, and the return is free (premature return would spare his enemies the damage it could do, so it's not much of a boon to recover the sword in the middle of its airborne rampage.)
Wouldn't this render the entire "unarmed" concept pointless? The current system makes you think about whether you can get by without the sword for a while and rely on your fists (or gauntlet) until your Arcane charges enough to retrieve the sword.
I suppose, but until I looked at the code, I was convinced I had run into a bug. since fists don't seem to recover arcane power, I would have to backtrack through the map looking for crystals. it's not so bad now that I learned this, but it still feels a bit "odd".

Quick edit to add some more ideas without spamming the thread:

1. Maybe the Blazshot arm cannon's charging state could be indicated by the stamina bar (top bar on the bottom right of the screen, above the Arcane Force bar?) Similar to the Wave Cannon charge indicator for the R-Type games?

1b. Ooh, maybe have multiple charge loops for an even bigger attack?
Spoiler:
2. I wasn't able to see any powerup health indicators above my health & armor bar, see screenshot:
Spoiler:

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:53 pm
by DemonSlayer
Also, am I the only one that doesn't see the point of the gauntlet's arrow mode? I mean, I really don't see the difference other than having a weaker charge shot and faster rate of fire.[/quote]

I use it for the faster enemies as well as groups. It reminds me of Guts from Berserk in that his arm can shoot a bunch of arrows as well, in fact this mod is as close to being Guts as you can get in DooM ^_^

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:59 pm
by DoomRater
Push comes to shove, and I'll be forced to show my hand at Guts. That sword Blaz is using is nothing like Dragonslayer.

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:52 am
by Combine_Kegan
quake3guy wrote:
wildweasel wrote:
quake3guy wrote:Coolness! One other thing I noticed is that Zarach can get permanently lost if thrown with insufficient arcane power to recover it, but it takes no power to throw. Maybe if the arcane power expense were applied up-front, so Blaz couldn't throw it in such a situation thus preventing him from being without his sword (until he manages to find some crystals, which makes it reappear if he had reloaded with the gauntlets up at some point in the past.) So if he has 70+ arcane power, he can throw it, and the return is free (premature return would spare his enemies the damage it could do, so it's not much of a boon to recover the sword in the middle of its airborne rampage.)
Wouldn't this render the entire "unarmed" concept pointless? The current system makes you think about whether you can get by without the sword for a while and rely on your fists (or gauntlet) until your Arcane charges enough to retrieve the sword.
I suppose, but until I looked at the code, I was convinced I had run into a bug. since fists don't seem to recover arcane power, I would have to backtrack through the map looking for crystals. it's not so bad now that I learned this, but it still feels a bit "odd".

Quick edit to add some more ideas without spamming the thread:

1. Maybe the Blazshot arm cannon's charging state could be indicated by the stamina bar (top bar on the bottom right of the screen, above the Arcane Force bar?) Similar to the Wave Cannon charge indicator for the R-Type games?

1b. Ooh, maybe have multiple charge loops for an even bigger attack?
Spoiler:
2. I wasn't able to see any powerup health indicators above my health & armor bar, see screenshot:
Spoiler:
That is really odd, fists are should be gaining mana on hit. And I feel that's not necessary to add a meter for the Blazter's charge, the flames of the eye sockets grow larger.

Honestly I still wanna attempt to fix Blaz, but I feel like the only way to fix that guy would be a total overhaul.

and I'm really confused as to why you don't see the powerup indicators... Did you have the boots or pendant in that screenshot?

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:26 am
by quake3guy
I definitely had the pendant in the referenced screenshot, as I was unable to pick up the one in that circle of fire to the left.

I've just verified that the fists are granting arcane power when damaging enemies, so looks like I was mistaken on that point.

One more issue: the Unleasher item seems broken. I saw a pile of them up on a cliff and picked one of them up, it said I should press the Use key (invuse) to activate it, but nothing happens 99.9% of the time. I can remember once yesterday when I pressed Use and it worked, it was a total surprise after never seeing it happen on previous attempts. I had a savegame just prior to picking it up, and the next time I loaded that save it went back to not working. maybe there's a timing issue or "race condition" on the pickup/activate script? it looks rather complex.

About the idea for a charge bar on the Blazter, it may not have a major usability function apart from helping the user time his shots, but there's something inexplicably satisfying about watching your power meter grow as you restrain the attack button before unleashing a wave of destruction on the enemies, and this has a neat synergy with the buildup sound effect as well. just my 2c :mrgreen:

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:37 am
by Combine_Kegan
quake3guy wrote:I definitely had the pendant in the referenced screenshot, as I was unable to pick up the one in that circle of fire to the left.

I've just verified that the fists are granting arcane power when damaging enemies, so looks like I was mistaken on that point.

One more issue: the Unleasher item seems broken. I saw a pile of them up on a cliff and picked one of them up, it said I should press the Use key (invuse) to activate it, but nothing happens 99.9% of the time. I can remember once yesterday when I pressed Use and it worked, it was a total surprise after never seeing it happen on previous attempts. I had a savegame just prior to picking it up, and the next time I loaded that save it went back to not working. maybe there's a timing issue or "race condition" on the pickup/activate script? it looks rather complex.

About the idea for a charge bar on the Blazter, it may not have a major usability function apart from helping the user time his shots, but there's something inexplicably satisfying about watching your power meter grow as you restrain the attack button before unleashing a wave of destruction on the enemies, and this has a neat synergy with the buildup sound effect as well. just my 2c :mrgreen:
The unleasher should only work when the blue gem on your sword mana bar glows blue. When you pick up the unleasher it should turn gold and get a gem on the left, which then lights up to tell you to have enough mana to let it run.

again I've contemplated tweaking a lot of this shit to make it more streamlined, but that'd require a complete do-over for a lot of things

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:09 am
by quake3guy
Combine_Kegan wrote:The unleasher should only work when the blue gem on your sword mana bar glows blue. When you pick up the unleasher it should turn gold and get a gem on the left, which then lights up to tell you to have enough mana to let it run.

again I've contemplated tweaking a lot of this shit to make it more streamlined, but that'd require a complete do-over for a lot of things

Ohhhhhhh! I gave myself some arcane force and the gem on the right turned purple while I had an unleasher, then it worked. tbh the gem on the right looks quite inconspicuous, I mistook it for an inactive part of the UI, maybe put a little "spark" icon in there, something that looks energetic?

I thought the melee/shot powerup indicators were supposed to appear above the Health & Armor meters on the bottom left of the screen (somehow recall reading something to that effect somewhere in this thread,) does this mean I should instead be looking at the little gem slots on the left boundaries of the Sword and Gauntlet bars on the bottom right of the screen? if so, they're highly inconspicuous and I never would have guessed they were something other than cosmetic boundaries for the bars.

hope this helps

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:33 pm
by DemonSlayer
I just saw a video for Space Hunter and Combine_Kegan if you are able to see this please continue this mod. I do not want it to get lost in the shuffle. It is the closest thing to being Guts from Berserk and that alone should be justification for everyone to check it out. I wish you the best and thank you for all your hard work ^_^

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:56 pm
by DoomRater
Closest to being Guts? Sounds like I'd better get started on my Six Man Army modpack then, I will not be outdone by Hexen graphics!

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:14 pm
by Aguja
Someone could pass me the GMOTA 9.3 pk3?

I had it but I lost it, I've been looking for it for many months on the Internet and the closest I managed was to download the 0.2, and now that I can not find it anywhere.

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:20 am
by lwks
Latest version seems to not be compatible with GZDoom 3.0 and above. Any plans to make an Update?

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:08 am
by Combine_Kegan
lwks wrote:Latest version seems to not be compatible with GZDoom 3.0 and above. Any plans to make an Update?
Yeah the current public version has a small typo that has broken things. Normally I'd just release a hotfix but I've actually been the process of making a massive overhaul update that makes things work again, along with adding a bunch of new content and overhauls to the gameplay.

Might take a bit but it's coming.

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:25 am
by ZippeyKeys12
Yesssssss!

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:51 pm
by lwks
Interesting, just out of curiosity, how long are we talking about?

Edit: Any ideias about new weapons? I mean fixed weapons on each slot.
And also, write your stuff man! Not only about itens, but mechanics too, I find this mod very confusing. :?

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:59 pm
by Combine_Kegan
lwks wrote:Interesting, just out of curiosity, how long are we talking about?

Edit: Any ideias about new weapons? I mean fixed weapons on each slot.
And also, write your stuff man! Not only about itens, but mechanics too, I find this mod very confusing. :?
I can't say for certain lengthwise, but I'm nearly done with this update, regarding weapons, I'm not adding any more weapons for Blaz, other than some new subweapons, though for fixed weapon spawns there'll now be powerup items that augment Blaz's moveset and give new abilities. Finally regarding the weird confusing crap, don't sweat it, I've stripped a lot of of the stranger, more confusing elements out with this coming update, it's going to be more straightforward in a lot of ways.