GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 8/18/2020 [V1.4.1]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.5]

Postby Josh771 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 am

The Steel Dukes... they actually use Duke's voice. I recognized it right off, hehehe, but I like it. :) These monster replacements are fantastic. I much prefer fighting these to Doom's native bestiary -- I only wish now that GMOTA supported Heretic. I might end up working on that myself, to be honest. Just for personal use, at least.
Josh771
formerly known as SidDoyle

Discord: josh771#7771

Postby DoomRater » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:50 am

Attempting to play Heretic or Hexen worked somewhat okay actually. I'm sure if the monster replacements were set up correctly and the item replacements were redone it'd work like a charm.
DoomRater
Hi, I'm bob.

Discord: DoomRater#6308

Postby Josh771 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:26 am

DoomRater wrote:I'm sure if the monster replacements were set up correctly and the item replacements were redone it'd work like a charm.

Well this is exactly what I would do if I made compatibility for it. I imagine the player class works fine, it's just a matter of getting the "replaces" transferred from Doom to the Raven games.

And I might even maintain it "officially" for Combine Kegan, if he were alright with it. Otherwise I'll just keep it to myself and enjoy me some GMOTA Heretic.
Josh771
formerly known as SidDoyle

Discord: josh771#7771

Postby Wivicer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:53 pm

I don't know if I'm the only one having trouble with this, but the custom music doesn't play for me. I tried puking the script 1666, but I get an error telling me there isn't a script. Is this a problem for anyone else, or just me?

I'm playing on the latest GZDoom for Mac OSX, btw.
Wivicer

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Combine_Kegan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Wivicer wrote:I don't know if I'm the only one having trouble with this, but the custom music doesn't play for me. I tried puking the script 1666, but I get an error telling me there isn't a script. Is this a problem for anyone else, or just me?

I'm playing on the latest GZDoom for Mac OSX, btw.

That's odd, did you check to see in the in-game options if the custom music is disabled?
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Postby Cryomundus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:42 pm

Spoiler:

You should use that new blood effect for everything actually, it's really nice. Doesn't seem to be as bad a fps killer as the old one too. The "gore" is hilarious, I love it. Imp warlords seem nice, though I did notice that if the ceiling is too low, the mace they throw gets destroyed, resulting in a gimped enemy. Also, since the viper dodges less he tends to go down very easily, almost to the point of him being forgetable. His spazzy-ness was what made him memorable, actually, since he doesn't have a lot of health, meaning he'd go down in 1 charge-shot.

Just a personal thing, but you should recolor the earthshaker's explosion sprite to use white/red/pinks, it stands out too much otherwise.
Last edited by Cryomundus on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cryomundus

Postby Combine_Kegan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:50 pm

Cryomundus wrote:Found a bug, the arcane chicken and mystic wine don't grant infinite mana. You'll still use up your reserves regardless, and if you run out while the effect is up, that's it, no more mana for you(you can still recover mana, but the infinite isn't infinite). Also, if you throw your sword away right before you leave a level, that's it, no more sword for you. However, if you type "summon boomerang", you can get it back.

You should use that new blood effect for everything actually, it's really nice. Doesn't seem to be as bad a fps killer as the old one too. The "gore" is hilarious, I love it. Imp warlords seem nice, though I did notice that if the ceiling is too low, the mace they throw gets destroyed, resulting in a gimped enemy. Also, since the viper dodges less he tends to go down very easily, almost to the point of him being forgetable. His spazzy-ness was what made him memorable, actually, since he doesn't have a lot of health, meaning he'd go down in 1 charge-shot.

Just a personal thing, but you should recolor the earthshaker's explosion sprite to use white/red/pinks, it stands out too much otherwise.

That makes no sense, chicken and wine powerups give you 10 seconds of INCREDIBLY fast mana regen, I don't know how you're managing to run out, and I address the permanently losing sword bug awhile ago, that shouldn't ever happen.
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Postby Cryomundus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm a friggin' idiot, turns out the breakage was something on my end. |D Did something dumb without realizing it, but I fixed it, so you can ignore what I said.

Spoiler:
Cryomundus

Postby Combine_Kegan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:45 pm

That's what I thought. See now this is why I told you I'm against your music addon, you've caused clashing and issues with my main mod. Don't be sharing it with folks until you know it's not going to break anything. Damn it.

Well that and the fuckhuge filesize, seriously man.
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Postby Cryomundus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Combine_Kegan wrote:That's what I thought. See now this is why I told you I'm against your music addon, you've caused clashing and issues with my main mod. Don't be sharing it with folks until you know it's not going to break anything. Damn it.

Well that and the fuckhuge filesize, seriously man.

Alright, for starters it shouldn't break anything else with the current version. All it has is the music, and the acs. That's all that it actually touches. And unless you change/add something onto the acs, it won't break anything.

Since when is 154 mb actually huge anymore, 1TB HDD's are pretty standard right now, and they're getting larger. I could have 2 downloads if you wanted, 1 with the usual 32 songs (which comes out to 77 mb), and the larger 61 songs (154 mb). Seriously though, I halved the size of the files without killing the quality, and they're proper songs, not the chiptune songs from the consoles. And besides, it comes down to the users choice as to whether or not they actually want to download and use them or not. Yeesh. The only reason I actually made the music pack was the songs you had varied in quality (some of them are actually very quiet) and you had only 24 songs, which meant that if you played a megawad, you'd be hearing those same songs over and over and over. And that got boring, especially when there where only 5-7 actually decent songs to listen too.

Fuckhuge filesize would have to be 1-3 gigabyte onwards, 154 mb is pretty freaking tiny compared to that.

Edit: Hell, if you that bothered by the filesize I can go hunting for .spc music to replace it with. Heck, all I want is a large pool of music of relative quality. Mostly the large pool tho.
Cryomundus

Postby Wivicer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:13 am

Combine_Kegan wrote:
That's odd, did you check to see in the in-game options if the custom music is disabled?

I did indeed check that, and it indicated that the music was enabled. I clicked it back and forth a few times, just to make sure, but nothing changed. Still no custom music.
Wivicer

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby insightguy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:46 am

...managed to lose my sword by throwing it at the skybox.....
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^
Banned User

Postby Combine_Kegan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:02 am

insightguy wrote:...managed to lose my sword by throwing it at the skybox.....

That's odd, that shouldn't happen, I added +SKYEXPLODE to the boomerang sword. What stage/mapset did you do this on?
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Postby insightguy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:06 am

Combine_Kegan wrote:
insightguy wrote:...managed to lose my sword by throwing it at the skybox.....

That's odd, that shouldn't happen, I added +SKYEXPLODE to the boomerang sword. What stage/mapset did you do this on?

Chegosh 1

I watched it, it disapeared after it bounced on the skybox 2x

Code: Select allExpand view
------------------>
                   \
                    \
                     \
                      v
                    (disappeared here)
                     /
                    /
                   /
(where I think It was supposed to go)
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^
Banned User

Postby Naniyue » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:29 pm

The throwing sword is pretty neat, especially when you can switch to another weapon while it's still whirling around. Maybe this weapon could be added to the fantasy section of AEOD?

Also, some of the sound effects are pleasantly familiar.
Naniyue
TTThhppttt!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods