GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action (last post here 4-18-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Combine_Kegan

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Darman Macray wrote:Love this! Looks super dope--especially the enemy roster.

Is there a standalone of the monster-pack for this yet?
Not yet at least.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

While i'm working on something else right now, i could make a monster pack when i'm done with my current project (with monster stats scaled down for normal play, of course). Probably wouldn't be too hard to chop out everything that would not function in non-gmota doom.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Tartlman wrote:While i'm working on something else right now, i could make a monster pack when i'm done with my current project (with monster stats scaled down for normal play, of course). Probably wouldn't be too hard to chop out everything that would not function in non-gmota doom.
I would rather you do not. I will take care of that when the time comes.
Darman Macray

Post by Darman Macray »

Combine_Kegan wrote:
Tartlman wrote:While i'm working on something else right now, i could make a monster pack when i'm done with my current project (with monster stats scaled down for normal play, of course). Probably wouldn't be too hard to chop out everything that would not function in non-gmota doom.
I would rather you do not. I will take care of that when the time comes.
Ooohhhh--Excitement! :D
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

V1.3 is out people! Check the main page!
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Combine_Kegan wrote:V1.3 is out people! Check the main page!
Thanks for EPIC UPDATE :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Tartlman

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 11/15/2019 [V1.3]

Post by Tartlman »

WOOHOO! 1.3!

Kustam is definitely harder to play than the other heroes, but he feels satistfying as hell when you combo the absolute shit out of the entire room. I'm enjoying him a lot so far. Haven't touched Knightmare yet, but i will soon!
stagefatality

Post by stagefatality »

Is it weird to say I've been waiting for this all week? Cause I have been.

Popping this in as we speak, very excited and thanks for the update!
baddude1337

Post by baddude1337 »

Damn, Kustam really clicks with me! Blasted through Scythe 1 in a couple sittings. Fantastic work, really looking forward to the next character!
BoJustBo

Post by BoJustBo »

I like GMOTA because it's not just a power trip mod. But I feel Kustam's gun is way too powerful. Maybe not if there was any sort of lack of ammunition, but you drown in ammo when everything drops it.
ArchXeno

Post by ArchXeno »

I'm not a fan of how the boot attack is implemented. The boot attack outclasses the staff due to it's stun, and unlike Blaz who has the tradeoff between stun vs the myriad of the sword's uses, the boot can be used whenever. The staff's larger range isn't enough to compete imo, which I only use for the deflecting attack. As for the meditool, it can feel like a bit of a crutch, since whenever you screw up you can hide behind a corner and regain your lost health for free, while Blaz uses resources and Slayer needs to stay in the fight.

My suggestions would be to reduce(or even remove) the stun time from the boots, and to make the meditool powered by the staff rather than charging up with time. These changes would make the staff a more attractive option from the boots and make the meditool a bit less cheesy to use, at the risk of making Kustam play a bit more like Blaz/Slayer. As for more minor complaints, Kustam's charge shots should have a similar explosion vfx/sfx as the standard shot and full charge shot. Right now they feel a bit weaker than the standard shot even though they're not.

Overall, great update. Kustam fits in with Blaz/Slayer very well, and I appreciate the fact that Knightmare mode makes things challenging without bloating enemy health/damage values like many other mods.

Edit: Found a bug where I attempted to pick up a barrels, but it disappeared, and I'm no longer able to pick up barrels. Playing as Doomslayer
Laggy

Post by Laggy »

I was playing in knightmare difficulty last night. Today I loaded the save file and it's spawning regular enemies from the next map.
Using zandronum 3.0. (might be a Zandronum bug?)
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

ArchXeno wrote:I'm not a fan of how the boot attack is implemented. The boot attack outclasses the staff due to it's stun, and unlike Blaz who has the tradeoff between stun vs the myriad of the sword's uses, the boot can be used whenever. The staff's larger range isn't enough to compete imo, which I only use for the deflecting attack. As for the meditool, it can feel like a bit of a crutch, since whenever you screw up you can hide behind a corner and regain your lost health for free, while Blaz uses resources and Slayer needs to stay in the fight.

My suggestions would be to reduce(or even remove) the stun time from the boots, and to make the meditool powered by the staff rather than charging up with time. These changes would make the staff a more attractive option from the boots and make the meditool a bit less cheesy to use, at the risk of making Kustam play a bit more like Blaz/Slayer. As for more minor complaints, Kustam's charge shots should have a similar explosion vfx/sfx as the standard shot and full charge shot. Right now they feel a bit weaker than the standard shot even though they're not.

Overall, great update. Kustam fits in with Blaz/Slayer very well, and I appreciate the fact that Knightmare mode makes things challenging without bloating enemy health/damage values like many other mods.

Edit: Found a bug where I attempted to pick up a barrels, but it disappeared, and I'm no longer able to pick up barrels. Playing as Doomslayer
I won't be removing the stun of the kick. Beforehand when there was no stun, the kick was pretty pointless. I do intend on nerfing the medi-tool soon, where it'll heal less at higher HP values, the passive regeneration stays, Kustam has his own playstyle and to make it regen from dealing damage would make him similar to the other heroes, I don't want that. The current effect of a fully charged kick is intentional the way it is though, it's based around the particles that fly out of enemies when you super boot them in Battletoads. The staff will be getting some tweaks as well, flurry strikes will become stronger and build more heat, staff spin is less effective at stunlocking monsters and also builds heat faster.
The barrel bug is concerning though, I thought I had squashed that and I'll be looking into that ASAP
Laggy wrote:I was playing in knightmare difficulty last night. Today I loaded the save file and it's spawning regular enemies from the next map.
Using zandronum 3.0. (might be a Zandronum bug?)
That's... really weird, I'll look into this as well.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

Loving the update. I took me a while to get used to Kustam's gameplay mechanics (though about the same time as it took me to get used to Blaz), but once you get the hang of him he is actually pretty fun. His staff can actually be quite deadly with both the Anti-Personel Venter, Attack Venter and Kinetic Driver upgrades. Blaz remains my favourite, but Kustam is a great addition.

That said, I have run into a couple of bugs.
-If you activate a support potion when that potion's effect is still active, the duration is not reset unless the effect is about to run out (ie the screen icon is flashing) - the forge gems expended are wasted with no benefit.
-Not strictly a bug with GMOTA per se; if you load this mod with Nash's Zscript Weapon Sway it works fine - except for Kustam's meditool (both regular and support potion). When idle it is appears off to the extreme left of the screen instead of to the right where it normaly appears, and during the raise/lower animation and the "releasing the button after injecting" animation, it jitters headache-inducingly between its normal position and the extreme left one. Turning Weapon Sway off (as opposed to removing it from the load order) seems to be enough to rectify this.
-Kustam's Automap inventory screen does not display an icon for the Sentinel Arms. There does appear to be a free space in the box at the bottom left, but even after getting all upgrades/abilities, it is never filled.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Tesculpture wrote: That said, I have run into a couple of bugs.
-If you activate a support potion when that potion's effect is still active, the duration is not reset unless the effect is about to run out (ie the screen icon is flashing) - the forge gems expended are wasted with no benefit.
-Not strictly a bug with GMOTA per se; if you load this mod with Nash's Zscript Weapon Sway it works fine - except for Kustam's meditool (both regular and support potion). When idle it is appears off to the extreme left of the screen instead of to the right where it normaly appears, and during the raise/lower animation and the "releasing the button after injecting" animation, it jitters headache-inducingly between its normal position and the extreme left one. Turning Weapon Sway off (as opposed to removing it from the load order) seems to be enough to rectify this.
-Kustam's Automap inventory screen does not display an icon for the Sentinel Arms. There does appear to be a free space in the box at the bottom left, but even after getting all upgrades/abilities, it is never filled.
I coulda sworn I made the support potions reset their duration when you use them, I'll look into that, as for the Nash thing, I can't help you there, the Medi-Tool uses offsets for animation which I'm certain doesn't play nice with that, you'll need to drop that mod when you play GMOTA. Finally I think I screwed up and completely neglected to make an inventory icon for the sentinel arms so that's a huge WHOOPS and I'll be adding that for v1.4, my bad.

Glad you're enjoying this by the way, and thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”