GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action (last post here 4-18-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
nax

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 3/16/2018 [V1.1

Post by nax »

animation canceling is intentional
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I know it's intentional I'm just saying that the fact that you can cancel the animation and come back to it but it doesn't need to continue (some mods for example allow you to cancel super shotgun reload but if you switch back, it has to do the rest of the reload animation) may contribute to Doomslayer's balance issues.
nax

Post by nax »

but that's the whole point of the animation canceling. it's fun because it's extremely active and engaging, it's a callback to older games where you could cancel animations, and it's even a reference to doom 4 where you can do this.

so for instance, you say there are balance problems with it. Why?

Damage per second? Okay, this is fair. it does massive damage per second. But also a large criticism is that the thunderbuss already does a bit too much damage already, so a damage nerf is probably in order
Trivializes fights? Well most trash mobs can be killed by an actual homing rocket that you do not have to aim, so I don't believe this, particularly, is a problem.
Trivializes fights with harder enemies? Okay, this is fair. So stronger enemies go down perhaps too quickly. A nerf to the thunderbuss's output might help with this as well, and making sure the cybermancer and bonejerks have more hp. They're probably a bit too frail with Blaz and Demonslayer's arsenals.
Ammo usage? Possible. Would people do it as often if it was heavily draining on their ammo? Maybe not considering how much of a workhorse the thunderbuss is, not having it available may make people think twice about using it frivolously on encounters they don't have to.

so the issue becomes more what it's doing rather than it being inherently unbalanced. one of the primary criticisms i've heard so far, and one i've even brought up before is how ammo rich you are in GMOTA as the Doomslayer. there were mechanics built in to ensure the doomslayer doesnt run out of ammo, but it seems that currently it's the opposite issue. and if people are just using the thunderbuss and mace shotgun all the time, it means they're able to and not forced into using weapons for their niche roles. We should examine the overall damage output and resource usages of weapons before we advocate for a mechanic removal, since the problem with it might not be specific to it, given the criticisms thus far.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

First, off, a bug/oversight: magicboots do not give all the protections a radsuit does, so if you happen to play, say The Joy of Mapping 5: Winter Weekend, and choose episode 3, you'll run into underwater sections and hurtfloor underwater sections that the magicboots do not protect you from. Notably the sDamage_SuperHellslime and not resetting the players air supply every tic. I had to cheat and use "give radsuit" so I could properly play the levels.

And now, onto DoomSlayer.

For starters, the Sapphire Bomb is exceptionally strong, such to the point where I don't really bother with the other 2 bomb types. Speaking of them, the Thunder Bomb is a tad redundant in function, as it shoots off homing shots like the Sapphire Bomb, but it doesn't last quite as long. Looks super fancy tho, too bad Sapphire Bomb bits it by a mile. The Fire Bomb is technically a worse version of your starting bomb. Yeah, you can throw it very far, but I have rockets for that.

If anything I'd do 4 things;
1. Nerf Sapphire Bomb
2. Let the player keep only 3 bombs per map transition
3. Change the Thunder bomb so that on impact, it unleashes lightning that arcs between enemies, and stuns them as well.
4. Make the Fire Bomb spawn Fire. Like really, you called it Fire Bomb and then not have it spawn flames? Come on now, you've got the fire from the Inferno Rifle all ready to go!

Reduce the ammo cap for Shotguns to 30/60 or 35/70. I've almost never run out of ammo for the shotgun once I grab a backpack, and given that shells are usually quite plentiful, I never really run out of ammo, even when I try and be a bit careless with shooting.

The HydraRepeater sounds are a bit wimpy, honestly. It deals pretty good damage, but it just doesn't sound particularly meaty.

Yeah, the Thunderbuss could use a damage nerf, and probably a range nerf. It is quite stronk, I usually down a Bonelord with just 2-3 shots with it.

Got no real qualms with the knives, other than I was not aware that even the default one had lifesteal. Outta mention that somewhere so it's a bit more known.

As far as the bosses are concerned, its not so mcun they need a health buff, as it is they need some class-specific attacks. Especially the Cybermancer, he's clearly been designed with Blaz in mind given how much he likes to spin. (boy does he like spinning)

Other than that, I've been enjoying the new character quite a bit!
KarolineDianne

Post by KarolineDianne »

Lifesteal on knives is mentioned in the guide, actually. The nifty little guide in the main menu.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Huh, nevermind about that bit then. I was probably tired when I first tried this and thought that only Blaz's was done.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

I need an advice about what mapsets are best to play with GMOTA. Thx in advance!
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

Eternal DooM 3 and 4 works well IMHO.
r&r

Post by r&r »

I like this mod very much
just wondering is there a way to make it compatibly for castlevania simon's destiny wad?
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Mere_Duke wrote:I need an advice about what mapsets are best to play with GMOTA. Thx in advance!
Legacy of Heroes is another good one.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Perdition's Gate is a nice mapset for playing weapons mods I've found.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Mere_Duke wrote:I need an advice about what mapsets are best to play with GMOTA. Thx in advance!
Herian 2 is a great mapset to play with this.
ArchXeno

Post by ArchXeno »

I think mage gunners and bonelords need a buff, they both feel less threatening than the enemy they're intended to replace. Gunners's shots are low damage and easy to avoid, which works for a low tier monster and not an arguably mid tier one like an arachnotron replacement. I rarely even see their more powerful attacks since they're also fairly squishy. The Bonelord's bomb attack is easily circle strafed, which defeats the purpose of the archvile to heavily restrict the player's movement in open spaces. The other two attacks are only a problem if they hit, and they will never hit an attentive player who is circle strafing for the previously given reason.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I forgot, is this Heretic/Hexen compatible? Or at least Heretic since there'll need to be a third char for Hexen.
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Thanks for a great update, Kegan!
So much fun.

I found an oddity; Why hyper mode don't consume Diamonds like Fatal draw?
Hyper mode parts replace Plasma rifle, and Diamonds replace cell ammunition.
So if you don't have Fatal draw, Diamonds in map have no usage.
I think it's weird.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”