GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:57 am

Oh snap is it time for an update? Yes it is.

Image

The next subweapon: Arthur's Lance is done, they don't fly very fast, and you can't shoot them very rapidly, but they pack a punch

Image

The spell you get along with the lance isn't quite ready, but I wanted to share the lance with you guys
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Captain J » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:58 am

now i wonder what torches will be, it was in that game too.
User avatar
Captain J
'OH YE'
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Secret Chamber
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby xenoxols » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:49 pm

I love this mod, but honestly, the sword sound effects are kinda obnoxious.
EDIT How will you be able to switch between subweapons?
User avatar
xenoxols
 
Joined: 18 Mar 2013
Location: Americopolis

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:22 pm

xenoxols wrote:I love this mod, but honestly, the sword sound effects are kinda obnoxious.
EDIT How will you be able to switch between subweapons?


Sorry about the long delay in a response, but you'll pick up different subweapons from chests, chests themselves will be rare, random drops from the various zombiemen, and you sometimes might find a chest in place of where you'd normally find a weapon pickup. Subweapons are your altfires for the unpowered sword and wand. So if you pick up a shield, you lose the grappler for the sword and the swirling vortex shot for the wand. If you want them back, just keep smashing chests til you find a grappler subweapon again.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Cryomundus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:25 pm

Combine_Kegan wrote:
xenoxols wrote:I love this mod, but honestly, the sword sound effects are kinda obnoxious.
EDIT How will you be able to switch between subweapons?


Sorry about the long delay in a response, but you'll pick up different subweapons from chests, chests themselves will be rare, random drops from the various zombiemen, and you sometimes might find a chest in place of where you'd normally find a weapon pickup. Subweapons are your altfires for the unpowered sword and wand. So if you pick up a shield, you lose the grappler for the sword and the swirling vortex shot for the wand. If you want them back, just keep smashing chests til you find a grappler subweapon again.


Why not make it permanent inventory items, so the player can freely swap between altfires? It'd allow for greater versatility, and it would help keep things more interesting, otherwise you might be out of luck if you need a certain subweapon to complete an area without getting your ass handed to you.

Dunno if this is possible for inventories, (though I recall a mod doing this), but perhaps you could set a timer on an item so that when people switch, they're "stuck" with that for a certain amount of time till the items recharge.
User avatar
Cryomundus
 
Joined: 31 Oct 2013

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:40 pm

Cryomundus wrote:
Combine_Kegan wrote:
xenoxols wrote:I love this mod, but honestly, the sword sound effects are kinda obnoxious.
EDIT How will you be able to switch between subweapons?


Sorry about the long delay in a response, but you'll pick up different subweapons from chests, chests themselves will be rare, random drops from the various zombiemen, and you sometimes might find a chest in place of where you'd normally find a weapon pickup. Subweapons are your altfires for the unpowered sword and wand. So if you pick up a shield, you lose the grappler for the sword and the swirling vortex shot for the wand. If you want them back, just keep smashing chests til you find a grappler subweapon again.


Why not make it permanent inventory items, so the player can freely swap between altfires? It'd allow for greater versatility, and it would help keep things more interesting, otherwise you might be out of luck if you need a certain subweapon to complete an area without getting your ass handed to you.

Dunno if this is possible for inventories, (though I recall a mod doing this), but perhaps you could set a timer on an item so that when people switch, they're "stuck" with that for a certain amount of time till the items recharge.



Because you couldn't pack everything you ever wanted in arcade games. Plus if you could carry everything, you'd have a full inventory of items within a few stages, and having to switch through 9 different subweapons in the middle of combat would suck ass. If you pick up a subweapon you like, you can keep it as long as you want, because subweapons will ONLY be found in chests, and I'm going to make chests kinda tough, so you'll have to shoot them/sword them a few times to break it open.

Furthermore, even if you didn't have the unpowered altfires, you still have the powered sword and staff at all times, and those are more than capable of handling just about anything thrown your way. You won't NEED any subweapons honestly, they just provide more variety and will help cater to different playstyles.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Cryomundus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:55 pm

Combine_Kegan wrote:Because you couldn't pack everything you ever wanted in arcade games. Plus if you could carry everything, you'd have a full inventory of items within a few stages, and having to switch through 9 different subweapons in the middle of combat would suck ass. If you pick up a subweapon you like, you can keep it as long as you want, because subweapons will ONLY be found in chests, and I'm going to make chests kinda tough, so you'll have to shoot them/sword them a few times to break it open.

Furthermore, even if you didn't have the unpowered altfires, you still have the powered sword and staff at all times, and those are more than capable of handling just about anything thrown your way. You won't NEED any subweapons honestly, they just provide more variety and will help cater to different playstyles.


Well, then it starts running into a few problems.

1. Severe lack of range. Trying to hit something far away becomes impossible unless you have a specific sub-weapon, though in the current beta you're out of luck, since none of your weapons, barring the balls from the powered wand (and even then you have to hope your trajectory is correct) and the powered swords long range beam (of which you only get at max 2 shots, so that's out.), have any distance to them. In fact, the unpowered wand peters out after a relatively short distance. Also, any boss monster at range will be a problem to deal with, since your only weapon will generally be the powered wand. And once ammo runs out, you've got to wait till it regens, and then repeat the process.

2. Lack of weapon variety. While your sword and wand are good for the initial levels, they quickly lose their usefulness in later levels, moreso as powerful monsters start to appear more often than weaker imps, pinkies and humans. Having 2 weapons is interesting, but often severely limits your choices. Doom was never the kind of game that expects you to only have 2 weapons.

3. Slaughter-esque maps will be your bane. No real way to deal with large groups of enemies unless you get close will decimate you. Even with easy access to healing with the powered wand, you'll still likely end up dead. Powered sword slash is nice up until you have to run face first into a group of alert monsters.

Now don't get me wrong, I really like this mod, but to be perfectly honest, it's only really good for easy maps. If you bring into harder ones it quickly turns into a slog. It's the whole lack of power that brings it down. That, and the whole lack of stuff often leads to barren secrets, which would otherwise have lots of useful goodies.

Beta is beta tho, so I do look forward to the changes you'll bring.

OH, one last thing, the powerup for the sword doesn't seem to work all that often. I'd pick it up, but there'd be no change to the unpowered sword. And speaking of the unpowered sword, the beam is pitifully weak. It'd work best if it had something near to a full hit with sword (unpowered of course.)
User avatar
Cryomundus
 
Joined: 31 Oct 2013

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:13 pm

Cryomundus wrote:
Combine_Kegan wrote:Because you couldn't pack everything you ever wanted in arcade games. Plus if you could carry everything, you'd have a full inventory of items within a few stages, and having to switch through 9 different subweapons in the middle of combat would suck ass. If you pick up a subweapon you like, you can keep it as long as you want, because subweapons will ONLY be found in chests, and I'm going to make chests kinda tough, so you'll have to shoot them/sword them a few times to break it open.

Furthermore, even if you didn't have the unpowered altfires, you still have the powered sword and staff at all times, and those are more than capable of handling just about anything thrown your way. You won't NEED any subweapons honestly, they just provide more variety and will help cater to different playstyles.


Well, then it starts running into a few problems.

1. Severe lack of range. Trying to hit something far away becomes impossible unless you have a specific sub-weapon, though in the current beta you're out of luck, since none of your weapons, barring the balls from the powered wand (and even then you have to hope your trajectory is correct) and the powered swords long range beam (of which you only get at max 2 shots, so that's out.), have any distance to them. In fact, the unpowered wand peters out after a relatively short distance. Also, any boss monster at range will be a problem to deal with, since your only weapon will generally be the powered wand. And once ammo runs out, you've got to wait till it regens, and then repeat the process.

2. Lack of weapon variety. While your sword and wand are good for the initial levels, they quickly lose their usefulness in later levels, moreso as powerful monsters start to appear more often than weaker imps, pinkies and humans. Having 2 weapons is interesting, but often severely limits your choices. Doom was never the kind of game that expects you to only have 2 weapons.

3. Slaughter-esque maps will be your bane. No real way to deal with large groups of enemies unless you get close will decimate you. Even with easy access to healing with the powered wand, you'll still likely end up dead. Powered sword slash is nice up until you have to run face first into a group of alert monsters.

Now don't get me wrong, I really like this mod, but to be perfectly honest, it's only really good for easy maps. If you bring into harder ones it quickly turns into a slog. It's the whole lack of power that brings it down. That, and the whole lack of stuff often leads to barren secrets, which would otherwise have lots of useful goodies.

Beta is beta tho, so I do look forward to the changes you'll bring.

OH, one last thing, the powerup for the sword doesn't seem to work all that often. I'd pick it up, but there'd be no change to the unpowered sword. And speaking of the unpowered sword, the beam is pitifully weak. It'd work best if it had something near to a full hit with sword (unpowered of course.)


Well for the coming version I'm going to add Sword and Wand crystals to the list of pickups, which give you a hefty jolt of mana for their respective weapons, you might have a point on the unpowered sword's wave however. I'll extend its range and power, and I'll raise the amount of wand mana you get from shooting monsters with the primary fire. I could easily extend the reach of the staff's spikeballs as well, I think I'll ditch the range limit on the wand's primary fire as well. However the powered wand's altfire can decimate crowds pretty effectively, or at the very least scatter them.

And yes, I keep hearing reports that the gauntlet of wrath is finnicky, I'm still not quite sure what's the deal with that, I've tweaked it slightly for the coming version, but I'm still not quite ready to release it.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:15 am

Lemme share some actual content.

Image

The daggers are fast flying, but weak, and monsters don’t even flinch when struck with them.

However, not only can they be fired quickly, but as long as they hit an enemy, you get sword rage back, meaning you can keep a never ending chain of daggers flying as long as you can keep a bead on an enemy.

The lance also has this returning effect now, but it’s not as instant as the dagger.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Captain J » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:50 am

that's gonna need some cool down, though. also are you going to make those daggers spread?
User avatar
Captain J
'OH YE'
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Secret Chamber
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:31 am

Captain J wrote:that's gonna need some cool down, though. also are you going to make those daggers spread?


No spread, and no cooldown, they don't do -that- much damage, if you try to use only daggers on big crowds or bigger monsters you're going to get stomped. However I've found they're invaluable in dealing with those shithead lost souls.

and as I said, you can only rapidly throw them like that as long as you keep hitting a monster. Otherwise you throw three and have to wait for a moment to get your sword rage back up.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Valherran » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:39 am

These weapons... :lol:

Should rename this MOD to Zombies and Spectres and make an Arthur model for Doomguy. :lol:
User avatar
Valherran
 
Joined: 27 Oct 2009

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby LostSkull » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:57 am

I must play this! Can't wait till I get home >_<
User avatar
LostSkull
Banned User
 
Joined: 26 Sep 2013

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Captain J » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:31 am

of course, it resembles super ghost 'n ghouls weaponries.
User avatar
Captain J
'OH YE'
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Secret Chamber
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Valherran wrote:These weapons... :lol:

Should rename this MOD to Zombies and Spectres and make an Arthur model for Doomguy. :lol:


If I could, I would.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GAA1992, Semrush [Bot], SiFi270, snarkel and 8 guests