[Released] Wrath of Cronos with heXercise

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CrazyEyes

Re: [Released] Wrath of Cronos with heXercise

Post by CrazyEyes »

Valherran wrote:Would look better if it sent the target upwards a bit and back.
I agree, but A_Blast (The effect you're referring to -- also known as the "Disc of Repulsion" effect) does not allow for exceptions, while A_RadiusThrust (what I am using currently) does, so it would blast the player back in addition to any monsters. I suppose I could set the BOSS flag on the player for the frame that the blast takes effect; I guess that wouldn't cause too many issues.

Edit: After some testing, A_Blast is very peculiar. I'm not sure what differentiates it from RadiusThrust other than vertical movement (RadiusThrust has none), but it has trouble working properly at very close ranges (i.e. where the puff lands). It never seems to push monsters in the right direction; it outright doesn't seem to push them backwards as you might expect, and occasionally pushes them sideways or even towards the player. I will simply stick with RadiusThrust because I'd like to avoid hacking my way through it to make A_Blast work like I did for the projectile deflection. It is a negligible loss in my opinion because RadiusThrust behaves the same in every way except for the vertical movement; plus, I think at higher levels A_Blast would throw enemies too high in the air for it to be useful as a makeshift ranged weapon or infight-starter.
CrazyEyes

Post by CrazyEyes »

Bumping for update. I'm pretty sure I fixed the issue with the Hammer's secondary getting you stuck, but please tell me if you have any problems with it. It was programmed with a "fall" state, which would loop as long as you were in the air after alt-firing. For some reason it used a velocity check to see if you had stopped falling and bring the player out of the loop instead of A_CheckFloor. Apparently the standard falling velocity value wasn't reliable enough so A_ChangeVelocity was also used to ensure that it was (the threshold was -50 or higher, and it was being set to -60). This is just strange, and frankly looks buggy just at a glance. Sorry, Lloyd. I'm about 95% sure that the issue was the player gets stuck in the "fall" state when this bug appears.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

Seems the regen from the Serpent Staff only wants to work on occasion. I get plenty of health from hitting monsters with the green potion gas, though! .-.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Well, the hammer still has the problem, but its ONLY when i'm low on mana? it must have to do with the attack taking mana.
CrazyEyes

Post by CrazyEyes »

Crudux Cruo wrote:Well, the hammer still has the problem, but its ONLY when i'm low on mana? it must have to do with the attack taking mana.
Triple S wrote:Seems the regen from the Serpent Staff only wants to work on occasion. I get plenty of health from hitting monsters with the green potion gas, though! .-.
Well, neither of these were anything I expected. Green flechette gas? Seriously? I cannot even fathom how that's possible, since I added a NEW SCRIPT for the Serpent Staff life drain so it cannot possibly be one that I overwrote accidentally.

Edit: I can't replicate this bug in which the green flask's poison gas drains life. Can you give a little more detail into what you were doing when that happened?
I fixed the Serpent Staff drain though. Christ, I didn't realize CustomPunch had a built-in lifesteal until now.
Also, I fixed the hammer bug. Player property 4 is set (a.k.a., frozen in place) when you perform the jumping and pounding animation. There was a jump to the "weak" (no ammo) attack if you don't have ammo from the alt-fire, but it didn't un-set player property 4. I would have noticed this the first time if the changing velocity thing didn't stick out so much to me.

I'm uploading those bugs fixed now as a hotfix (it will be listed as the same version).
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

There is a problem with getting hit by projectiles in this MOD. Every time I am hit I freeze in place for 1 second.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

While trying to figure out what could have caused it, I learned a very, VERY painful lesson:

Never, ever, EVER TYPE GIVE ALL INTO THE CONSOLE. It's seriously painful still, and I keep my volume extremely low.

Anyway, I can't seem to replicate it at all. Weird. I was playing through Epic2 and threw about five green flasks on each side of the Baron of Hell trap in Map05. I hit the switch and as they took damage I got bursts of health gain. Can't seem to trigger it again.

@Valherran: that was due to the projectiles being made solid among other things to try and get reflecting to be more useful. It didn't work and was reverted back very recently. Redownload the mod.

EDIT: Shield bash for Cleric is kinda wonky. Most of the time when I use it on an enemy it'll do the shield swipe, hitting for 1 damage with no knockback. If I hold the button down or alternate between shield swipes and standard melee manually, it'll always do the swipe. But if I swipe an enemy and tap the button a second time, I'll do a shield bash without fail. Is this intended? It seems that the shield bash only works if the last time I hit the enemy, it was with the shield swipe (as in I can't shield, mace, bash, but I can shield, mace, shield, bash or mace, shield, bash)

EDIT2: Actually, if I hit an enemy with the shield swipe, I can run off somewhere else and shield bash the air, so long as I don't switch weapons or swing the mace. Weird bug.
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

Triple S wrote:While trying to figure out what could have caused it, I learned a very, VERY painful lesson:

Never, ever, EVER TYPE GIVE ALL INTO THE CONSOLE. It's seriously painful still, and I keep my volume extremely low.
For you, or anyone who would like to add level up or skill points, or stuff, to a character, never, EVER use Give All, nor Give Ammo (I'm sorry for your ear drums. I'm so sorry). Experience seems to be a type of "ammo" that levels you up when it's maxed.

To add levels and skill points to a character use:

Give lvlup = Skill points
Give lvluppoints = stat points
Give level = increases level (doesn't add skill or stats, it only makes your level number higher)

And to gain items without using the Give all command, outside of the console type the letters "INDIANA" and you'll get a full inventory of stuff (it also maxes all your skills to 10.) It's the classic inventory cheatcode.

On other things, the magick drain works really well, and Essence Drain doesn't feel as overpowered as it was before; then again I may not be high enough level yet. I tried to replicate the green flask bug, to no avail.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I've done give all before, never again. :P
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

@Triple S: Ah, thank you for the info, didn't see that.
CrazyEyes

Post by CrazyEyes »

Valherran wrote:There is a problem with getting hit by projectiles in this MOD. Every time I am hit I freeze in place for 1 second.
More information is needed when you report a bug. Which IWAD were you playing, namely, would be extremely helpful here. There are three different sets of monster data for the three different idTech 1 games, and all of those monsters have all of that projectile data individually defined. I have never experienced this bug before with any monster or any projectile (even when the projectiles were solid), and I've never seen anyone else report this either, so you'll have to be more specific.
SallazarSpellcaster wrote:For you, or anyone who would like to add level up or skill points, or stuff, to a character, never, EVER use Give All, nor Give Ammo (I'm sorry for your ear drums. I'm so sorry). Experience seems to be a type of "ammo" that levels you up when it's maxed.
Yes; like most mods that wish to have some sort of consistent mechanic (like stats in an RPG), WoC uses the inventory to store all of the stats, level-up, and skill data. As far as I know, it's the easiest and least janky way to implement something like an RPG system into a ZDoom game. Experience points is an ammo type, everything else is just an invisible inventory item, I think.
Triple S wrote:Anyway, I can't seem to replicate it at all. Weird. I was playing through Epic2 and threw about five green flasks on each side of the Baron of Hell trap in Map05. I hit the switch and as they took damage I got bursts of health gain. Can't seem to trigger it again.
What class were you playing? What weapon did you have out when you experienced the health gain? Did you have any powerups activated?
EDIT: Shield bash for Cleric is kinda wonky. Most of the time when I use it on an enemy it'll do the shield swipe, hitting for 1 damage with no knockback. If I hold the button down or alternate between shield swipes and standard melee manually, it'll always do the swipe. But if I swipe an enemy and tap the button a second time, I'll do a shield bash without fail. Is this intended? It seems that the shield bash only works if the last time I hit the enemy, it was with the shield swipe (as in I can't shield, mace, bash, but I can shield, mace, shield, bash or mace, shield, bash)
Hmm. Can't say I have had issues with enemies being properly knocked back with the shield before, even on the first hit. Holding the button down to swing with the mace in-between is intentional, however. I think Lloyd coded the shield bash that way so that players couldn't spam it very easily. It is also supposed to hit for only one damage, being a tool for knocking monsters away from you. I'll look at it and make sure there aren't any inconsistencies.

EDIT: Lloyd's weapon states have different branches for "hit" and "miss" animations. The knockback effect only occurs on the hit animation, which wasn't being reached every other shield bash because somehow the timing was changed so that the attack that fires and deals 1 damage (which returns a "hit" counter to the player) and the check for the "hit" counter was occurring at the same time, meaning that the check would miss it, since it all happened at the exact same time instead of checking immediately afterwards. This results in the player with a "hit" counter for his shield, which would then trigger the next time he swings his shield, when normally the hit counters aren't supposed to sit in a player's inventory after a weapon animation finishes.

TL;DR: I fixed it. Still weird, though, since I didn't have this issue before, and I didn't mess with the shield bash other than to add a script execute when I was fucking around with the crazy projectile stuff, which I have since removed. Also, the "shield swipe" you're referring to is an animation for missing and isn't ever supposed to happen fi you hit something.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

So good news, don't have any problems with the hammer, and so far the brutal punch is just fine (except it doesn't launch people back? maybe i need more skill in it) either way, i was thinking that while the shield bash (when working), is useful, it would be nice to be able to hold down secondary for a short blocking animation; since the cleric's only other melee weapon is the morning star, i feel that it would be fairly balanced. as far as coding, i don't think it would be too terribly difficult to make. if it doesn't get added, fine, but i always thought it would be nice.
CrazyEyes

Post by CrazyEyes »

Crudux Cruo wrote:So good news, don't have any problems with the hammer, and so far the brutal punch is just fine (except it doesn't launch people back? maybe i need more skill in it)
It needs quite a bit of strength and Mighty Blow before it starts becoming noticeable. At low levels it only stops or even just slows them down, which is hard to notice since the distance pushed isn't far either.
it would be nice to be able to hold down secondary for a short blocking animation; since the cleric's only other melee weapon is the morning star, i feel that it would be fairly balanced.
The thing is, I don't really see the point, since the cleric already has a heal spell from level 1 and the Serpent Staff's improved life drain, which makes him extremely hard to kill in melee while he has blue mana. I can't make "directional" invulnerability (i.e. only get hurt from the back or something like that) so it's hard not to make it free invulnerability. As far as reflecting projectiles go, I think it's not very hard to time properly.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

Very good looking. The only reason I never play HeXen is because I can never find a suitable mod for it. But this looks like something for me. :)
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

CrazyEyes wrote:What class were you playing? What weapon did you have out when you experienced the health gain? Did you have any powerups activated?

...Holding the button down to swing with the mace in-between is intentional, however...
Cleric, Serpent Staff, no power-ups.

Also I know that the swinging between shield bashes is intentional, I was just elaborating on things. :P Glad to hear it was a bug that you could squash, though, rather than me being dumb.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”