[Released] Wrath of Cronos with heXercise

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Released] Wrath of Cronos with heXercise

Postby acidhoez » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:14 pm

this seems very promising, and that mage update for the next release sounds like a brilliant idea, keep up the good work.
acidhoez

Postby CrazyEyes » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:12 pm

New version's uploaded now.

Comments: Projectiles are extremely hard to work with in ZDoom (and of course, ZDoom is a step ahead of other engines; the shit I pulled wouldn't even be possible in Zandronum). This was something I really didn't expect; there's a lot you can do with projectiles, and I didn't expect to see such little flexibility regarding their nature. Even though I spent almost two days on one mechanic (shield deflection), I can't say it was wasted, since I learned a ridiculous amount about this engine. I cannot say I am completely satisfied with the results, either; while things seem to work more or less flawlessly in Hexen, I can't say the success carries over to the Doom or Heretic IWADs. I did not test Heretic, but I think it's reasonably safe to assume it won't work in there if it doesn't work in Doom. Unfortunately, I am not one to give way in such matters; I'll break the damn engine over my knee before I let it get away with not doing what I want. I seeked help at some points, and there were a couple people who thought what I was describing was actually impossible. And here I am now, acting like I made some accomplishment because I managed to make a fireball go in the same direction it came from when you click on it. Ridiculous, but it took more time than it should have.
CrazyEyes

Postby -Ghost- » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:19 pm

Someone commented in the main WoC thread about how armor doesn't feel very useful, do you think you could look into that? It seems to drop really fast and not really absorb that much damage. I'd almost rather it be a lot rarer, but a lot more protective.
-Ghost-

Postby Thetis » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:20 pm

I have plans for armor in the next release, to be a bit more similar to Hexen's style. (Waiting for Zandronum to update to 2.5.0 codebase.)
Thetis
I'm back once in a blue moon

Postby Valherran » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:33 pm

Did a run on Hexen with this, I felt sorry for the monsters after I tore through them (literally), this was definitely fun. :lol:
Valherran

Postby Patriot1776 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:37 pm

Just playing as the Mage, and I gotta say that with the Hexercise version of the Frost Shards, and how the Sapphire Wand now acts, the Jade Wand is pretty much redundant and not really useful anymore. Trying to now think of how the Jade Wand could be tweaked with to make it useful to have again, but need to also play through enough to get the second new, Wrath of Cronus weapon for the Mage to get any hard ideas.
Patriot1776

Postby Thetis » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:38 pm

I actually think that this would work real well as part of the actual mod. Adds a lot of enjoyment when it comes to bashing things in the head.
Thetis
I'm back once in a blue moon

Postby CrazyEyes » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:12 pm

Patriot1776 wrote:Just playing as the Mage, and I gotta say that with the Hexercise version of the Frost Shards, and how the Sapphire Wand now acts, the Jade Wand is pretty much redundant and not really useful anymore. Trying to now think of how the Jade Wand could be tweaked with to make it useful to have again, but need to also play through enough to get the second new, Wrath of Cronus weapon for the Mage to get any hard ideas.

I never really liked the Jade Wand. No offense to Thetis, but I thought it was a redundant weapon from the get-go; the only difference was that Frost Shards was worse than it before (except for the "ice rocket" secondary giving you extra range). This mod just changes the balance around. I think the second blue mana weapon should be something that does AoE damage, something like a rapid-shooting explosive spell (but the explosions don't do nearly as much damage as, say, a rocket). Kind of like the ice rocket from before but not quite so "killing everything with less HP than Borometh in one shot." Unfortunately I'm a programmer, and cannot into graphics without a lot of extra time spent, since I'm not good at using editing tools it takes me much longer. Maybe at some point.

Thetis wrote:I have plans for armor in the next release, to be a bit more similar to Hexen's style. (Waiting for Zandronum to update to 2.5.0 codebase.)

Sounds pretty slick. I'll wait on that.
To be honest, I didn't think armor was as bad as that one poster in your thread made it out to be. I played on a WoC server that was running Doom slaughter maps, and I noticed that armor was making a pretty big difference, but then again I was a Fighter so I had huge capacity for armor.
CrazyEyes

Postby m4lmaster » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:19 pm

got a problem using this with ketchup mod. if i load this first i get a crash (great mod though...) ketchup worked with hexercise
m4lmaster

Postby CrazyEyes » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:04 am

m4lmaster wrote:got a problem using this with ketchup mod. if i load this first i get a crash (great mod though...) ketchup worked with hexercise

That's probably because WoC adds/replaces gore. You should try adding the WoC bloodless patch; it might work with the ketchup mod then.
CrazyEyes

Postby m4lmaster » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:32 am

CrazyEyes wrote:
m4lmaster wrote:got a problem using this with ketchup mod. if i load this first i get a crash (great mod though...) ketchup worked with hexercise

That's probably because WoC adds/replaces gore. You should try adding the WoC bloodless patch; it might work with the ketchup mod then.

well i will try but the error i get is;
tried to register "serpent" more than once
tried to register "meteormissle" more than once

script error "woc16c_hexercise.pk3:monsters.txt" line 3968: invalid state parameter a_serpenthumpdecide
m4lmaster

Postby CrazyEyes » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:02 am

That's strange. I wouldn't expect a pure gore mod to modify something like that. It's not even past test stages, so I'm not really surprised it's not compatible with anything else.
CrazyEyes

Postby m4lmaster » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:17 pm

CrazyEyes wrote:That's strange. I wouldn't expect a pure gore mod to modify something like that. It's not even past test stages, so I'm not really surprised it's not compatible with anything else.

any way to fix this or to get more blood in the mod itself?
m4lmaster

Postby -Ghost- » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:07 pm

So with the new additions, what's your favorite class to play as? I'm torn between the Cleric and the Fighter. I like being able to tear through everything in melee, but the versatility of the Cleric is nice, especially the self-heals and such. One of the few things I never liked about the fighter is the Dragon's Claw though. It's just so silly looking; I preferred with Brutal Hexen did when it just gave him a regular crossbow to use.

EDIT: While playing Doom WADs I've noticed that enemy projectiles like Imp fireballs, Baron/Knight plasma, Ararchnaton plasma, etc seem to block your own projectiles. So when I'm using the cleric's staff to try and hit them the wave of projectiles coming at me blocks all my shots.
-Ghost-

Postby ArchXeno » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:59 pm

The Mage's blue wand secondary is extremely powerful. Getting heals whenever you want, as well as having a convenient way to kill at meele range does not feel very balanced.

Other than that, this is a really great wad. Hexen is finally fun (for me at least).
ArchXeno

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods