First attempt at Doom Modding

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mánibranðr System
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

First attempt at Doom Modding

Post by Mánibranðr System »

I would like to share with you, a cleaned up and "playable" build of my first attempt at Doom Modding from years ago. It contains lots of redundant actor properties and flags, and questionable design decisions. It is a tiny weapon mod that is made entirely out of scripts. It contains NO custom assets, and as such will tend to look and feel weird at places. The reason I am sharing this with you is because we were talking about our first attempts at Doom Modding and how terrible they were. I took a look at my old doom folders, and I realized that I still have this saved, so I spent a couple of hours trying to clean the code up a bit, and make it more or less playable with Vanilla wads, just so folks can experience the suckage. (Which is mostly just fixing the item and weapon replacers so that every weapon written up so far has a chance of being added to the player's inventory. Also replacing the BFG with a reusable damage powerup.)

So, have fun! Or not, I should stress that this is my first attempt at Doom Modding, and back then, I only had a very rudimentary understanding of Decorate. The ACS script I added was only from yesterday, and it was something I shat out quickly to patch up the missing BFG weapon in the mod.

Screenshots :
Spoiler:
(Really? What did you expect?)

Credits :

None, it's just a set of scripts that I wrote myself with the help of a few modders.
Attachments
FirstMod.pk3
This was going to be my Serious Sam Another Encounter Mod
(18.14 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Last edited by Mánibranðr System on Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMightyHeracross

Re: First attempt at Doom Modding

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Screenshots? Credits?
Mánibranðr System

Hang on, I knew I forgot something.

Edit : Done for Mr. Pedantic.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Wasn't that bad, at least not as bad as you told it was. And some will probably agree that it's a lot better than my own first mod lol

Anyway thanks for sharing :)
TheMightyHeracross

I seem to have missed the no custom assets part, my bad.
Here's what I'd say could be improved (taking into account the no assets thing):
  • There are grenade sprites in ZDoom, might want to use those
  • The chaingun flash doesn't animate, you need to use two flash states
  • The chaingun also looks very strange with its fast firing speed
  • The shotgun flash is off
  • The slowed player speed is sorta irritating
  • You basically have infinite clip ammo with the zombies dropping 10 times the ammo they usually drop (Clip Boxes)
  • The imp scratch sound is strange, I see you wanted a change from the regular one so maybe the Revenant sound?
  • The different gun variations (i.e. the plasma variants) could use something to tell them apart, maybe a recolor in TEXTURES?
Sorry for my statement above, again, missed the no custom assets part.
Mánibranðr System

I might try to tart it up, but I had no idea that Zdoom included grenade sprites. What are the lump names?
TheMightyHeracross

SGRNA0 is the sprite. In fact, it has its own actor, but you should modify it to use the bounce sounds.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

pretty good indeed. unfortunatly chainsaw's custom puff's decal is gone and chaingun is really OP'd, though.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

My first mod was a grenade launcher.

It sucked a whole bunch.
Kudos. You're definitely on the right track.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”