Responsive Weapons + Faster Weapon Switching

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
PandaDoomer

Re: Responsive Weapons + Faster Weapon Switching

Post by PandaDoomer »

Hey, is the Doom pistol supposed to be really slow when holding mouse 1? Also, in Heretic the staff is always selected first when it should be the gauntlets. Also, if it isnt any hassle, that "reload canceling" feature was pretty cool IMO.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

PandaDoomer wrote:Hey, is the Doom pistol supposed to be really slow when holding mouse 1? Also, in Heretic the staff is always selected first when it should be the gauntlets. Also, if it isnt any hassle, that "reload canceling" feature was pretty cool IMO.
Probably not, though this can be fixed by opening the file in slade, going to the zcsript folder, clicking on doom1.zc, and editing the pistol setting "PISG B 6 A_FirePistol;" to "PISG B 2 A_FirePistol;" or whatever number you desire.

My problem is that the settings never stay changed, and I have to re change them every time I open GZdoom
PandaDoomer

Post by PandaDoomer »

TheOldKingCole wrote:My problem is that the settings never stay changed, and I have to re change them every time I open GZdoom
Is your gzdoom ini set to read only?
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

PandaDoomer wrote:
TheOldKingCole wrote:My problem is that the settings never stay changed, and I have to re change them every time I open GZdoom
Is your gzdoom ini set to read only?
No it is not
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

It is in the changelog. Cvars are set to read only. I can change it with the next update. I will see what I can do about the pistol and weapon slot priorities.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.63 released

Post by NightFright »

This release has a few quite important bugfixes, especially the one about wrong/slow firing rates of responsive weapons. Settings are now also saved to ini, with "fastweapons_" prefix.

CHANGELOG v1.63
[GENERAL] CVARs now archived (settings saved after leaving game)
[GENERAL] Fix for ammo cheats deducting ammo from slot 1 (Doom/Chex/Heretic) or slot 4 (Hexen) weapons
[DOOM/CHEX/HEXEN] Fixed firing rates for all weapons with responsiveness option
[HERETIC] Fixed Gauntlets not having weapon slot priority before Staff
Attachments
fastweapons.pk3
Faster Weapons v1.63
(42.53 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.64 released

Post by NightFright »

In order to meet all demands, I have brought back interruptable shotgun reloads, this time however it's optional and off by default. With this, full functionality of the original release has been restored and unless severe problems are found, I consider this the final release for this project.

CHANGELOG v1.64
[DOOM] Option to interrupt shotgun reload animations (removed feature from v1.22 and earlier)
Attachments
fastweapons.pk3
Faster Weapons v1.64
(67.69 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.65 released

Post by NightFright »

Took care of the sound problem with the shotgun firing sound being cut off too early when using interrupting reload. Now also available in Chex. However, I removed fast reloads since the purpose of this mod should only be that weapons switch faster, but firing speed should always stay the same.

CHANGELOG v1.65
[DOOM/CHEX3] Removed option for fast shotgun/Large Zorcher reload
[DOOM] Fix for shotgun sound being stopped too early when interrupting reload
[CHEX3] Added option for interruptable Large Zorcher reload
Attachments
fastweapons.pk3
Faster Weapons v1.65
(67.79 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.66 released

Post by NightFright »

Hopefully we will end with these daily releases after this one! :roll: Now the interrupted Doom shotgun reload is as good as it can possibly get, achieved by splitting DSSHOTGN into a firing and pump action sound. This way, no sound interruptions occur when you switch away from the shotgun while it is firing. The split sound may not be 100% identical to the original one, but definitely close enough so you won't mind. To top it off, when you DON'T choose interrupted reloads, the game will use the unsplit sound (DSSHOTGN). Happy Valentines Day, everybody!

CHANGELOG v1.66
[DOOM] Improved interrupted shotgun reload by splitting fire and pump action sounds (only if needed)
Attachments
fastweapons.pk3
Faster Weapons v1.66
(168.92 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
Firebert

Post by Firebert »

Is it possible we can get a patch for this mod to work with valiant? https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... ds/valiant
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

No because Valiant uses Dehacked. There's a Vaccinated Edition that removes the Dehacked and allows mods.
Lemono

Post by Lemono »

Really epic mod you've got here, good work.

But would it be possible to make it combatable with Smooth Doom?

That would be the epicest combo I think.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

For the decorate version it should be possible since firing animation is pretty much left untouched. As for the dehacked version that's out there (vsmooth.wad)... I doubt it.

Smooth Weapons Enhanced might be a good mod to receive this option.
jmp
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by jmp »

I use this mod pretty religiously but noticed it didn't have support for wadsmoosh. I think I've successfully added it and would like to make it a pull request to the original. Is there a repository where its hosted?
TheVanessii
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TheVanessii »

Not gonna lie, in my opinion this is THE best quality of life mod for doom so far. The change is simple but once you have it, you never wanna go back

Return to “Gameplay Mods”