WIP Slipgate Complex Doom mod - Demo

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
lukas2288

WIP Slipgate Complex Doom mod - Demo

Post by lukas2288 »

Hi everybody i working on this mod for doom.I am a beginner on level design with doom and this is my first maps so don´t kill me please :D
Here are some screenshots of my WIP Mod.if somebody want to help me with mapping just send me PM and i will give you resources for doom builder and testing.

here is the link for 1st stage.It is a small base map.it contains few monsters and 3 weapons (one is in secret area).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/edh55 ... exDemo.pk3
Last edited by lukas2288 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Nash

Re: WIP Slipgate Complex Doom mod

Post by Nash »

Pretty decent for a first project. Keep up the good work! Not a fan of those helmet pickup sprites however... looks like a bunch of decapitated marine heads lying on the floor to me. :S
Bitterman

Post by Bitterman »

This actually looks pretty awesome!

Just a note, I think it's better to turn off texture filtering when taking screenshots, as it looks blurry.
lukas2288

Post by lukas2288 »

Added link for first level demo.
Ixnatifual

Re: WIP Slipgate Complex Doom mod - Demo

Post by Ixnatifual »

Looks cool with the Quake stuff. Those helmet pickups look a little silly, I think.
Bitterman

Post by Bitterman »

I got the chance to play it today. I liked it a bit, the Quake textures were nice, and the gameplay was decent.

What I liked:
-I enjoyed the various zombies and other enemies in the demo. This made encounters feel new and good.
-The combat is decent, nothing too dull.
-The difficulty is a bit hard, maybe I just sucked, but the playthrough was difficult. I enjoy a challenge, and the demo delivered it.
-Some effects seem new, and are mostly cool.

What I didn't like:
-The map felt a bit clustered. Corridor after corridor with linear paths.
-The weapons were random and the need some improvements.
-The enemy types are too various. I know I said I liked the enemies, but it's a bit annoying seeing a brand new enemy in each room.
-The rocket launcher zombie and the Strife sentry turret are overpowered. Especially the turret, its killed me the most.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

Well, I DO believe the monsters were introduced quicker because it's a demo, after all. This has alot of potential in being like it's 'own' Quake game! The various zombies, the Klesk and Wickeds fit into being their own bestiary, and I imagine critters such as Wraiths, Vores, Grells, Deep Ones and Daedabus can all fit in. Plus that large Necrodome Robot to be like a 'Tank' type miniboss? Throwing some ideas out there, but Vores, definitely. That turret tho was overpowered!

I liked the texture selection, but some of 'em seemed washed out, and I think it has to do with palette translation? Indeed .png's would be fine here. I know it's supposed to be 'dark and gritty' but just a bit MORE color can work wonders here, and it's easily fixable! Speaking of textures, there's a nice azure set of Quake-ish textures that Zirron the Insect made that would be right at home here!

Also, where's the status bar? I cannot see it lol! But hey, if you need a mapmaker sometime, give me a hollar - I can crank out a level of two for this thing for sure!
lukas2288

Post by lukas2288 »

thanks for replies.I will try it made it better.I know that turret is strong but i thinked that phobos is not overpowered:-).In final version the monsters were not be new enemy in each room.Only in demo version.I don´t know that there is some pallet bugs with textures.I am using HD textures for this mod.I Asked rygel if i can use them in final version.but he didn´t reply yet.I have final boss in my mod already.The corridors will be only in the first 2 maps.I updated first post for those who wants to help me with some maps.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”