[WIP/Release] Brutal Doom SE

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby wildweasel » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:13 pm

SladeEXE wrote:
Hellstorm Archon wrote:He's been permabanned, so he won't be coming back. Ever.


Why was he banned anyway?

Many, many repeated breaches of the "don't flame people" rule, despite tons of warnings and a tempban at some point. It's clear he wasn't learning from it. If you need to contact him for some reason, I'm pretty sure ModDB hasn't banned him yet.
User avatar
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby SigFloyd » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:20 pm

LowBrown wrote:Now i have the sound problem. Point is that i replaced minigun shoot sounds ("DSMINSLW" and "minifast") with my own, but then i realised that if u start to fire minigun in "fast" mode, sounds starting to replace eachother, and starting sound mess... Then i decided to place instead of "minifast" sound just a silent .wav file which is the same length as the original. But the sound of "DSMINSLW" is not like the original file leight. So there is the problem, heavy weapon dude, which is probably using the same .wav shooting sould file as me, starting to make this terrible mess. My question is: "Can i make somehow individual audio file for his shooting sound?

The Commando's tracers repeating the minigun's firing sound was fixed a couple of days ago, so now the Commando plays his attack sound in a more normal way. (His attack sound is called "enemymg", by the way. It's a pitched down version of the player's minigun) As to the player's minigun, the way I set it up with the secondary I intended for it to create a wall of sound by layering the primary sound and a pitched up version of the same sound with the end result sounding rather good to me compared to having one individual sound for the secondary. Of course, the effect pretty much falls apart if you replace those with different sounds that might not suit that little audio trick. In your case, what you want to do is to remove the lines that play "minifast" altogether, and under the Fire2 state, it should be
Code: Select allExpand view
   Fire2:
              TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("ExampleFastMinigunSound", CHAN_WEAPON, 1, 1)
              Goto Hold2

That way the secondary firing sound loops properly when you hold down the fire button, and nothing else plays but the motor. If you don't want to dig around under the hood, I've prepared a little edit to the Minigun's file that's set up to use "minifast" and ONLY "minifast" as the secondary firing sound. Copy this file into the main SE pk3, add whatever sound you like as "minifast", and you're good to go.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/4ihfqo8z1bhjnyq/MINIGUN.zip

Morter wrote:What's the proper way to remove bound allied marines? In regular/enhanced Brutal Doom, I'd kick them free. Now it kills them.
Chainsawing them seems to, but it also seems to hurt them, too.


Freeing Marines using any kind of melee is now fixed.
User avatar
SigFloyd
Vaguely Sexual
 
Joined: 13 Feb 2012

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby Skrell » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:56 pm

Why will no one answer if this will ever work on Zandronum? :-/
Skrell
 
Joined: 25 Mar 2013

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby SigFloyd » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:05 pm

Skrell wrote:Why will no one answer if this will ever work on Zandronum? :-/

SE uses a lot of things that Zandronum doesn't support. One of these nights I'll have to dig into things again and retool it for Zandro.
User avatar
SigFloyd
Vaguely Sexual
 
Joined: 13 Feb 2012

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby LowBrown » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:07 pm

SigFloyd wrote:The Commando's tracers repeating the minigun's firing sound was fixed a couple of days ago, so now the Commando plays his attack sound in a more normal way. (His attack sound is called "enemymg", by the way. It's a pitched down version of the player's minigun) As to the player's minigun, the way I set it up with the secondary I intended for it to create a wall of sound by layering the primary sound and a pitched up version of the same sound with the end result sounding rather good to me compared to having one individual sound for the secondary. Of course, the effect pretty much falls apart if you replace those with different sounds that might not suit that little audio trick. In your case, what you want to do is to remove the lines that play "minifast" altogether, and under the Fire2 state, it should be
Code: Select allExpand view
   Fire2:
              TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("ExampleFastMinigunSound", CHAN_WEAPON, 1, 1)
              Goto Hold2

That way the secondary firing sound loops properly when you hold down the fire button, and nothing else plays but the motor. If you don't want to dig around under the hood, I've prepared a little edit to the Minigun's file that's set up to use "minifast" and ONLY "minifast" as the secondary firing sound. Copy this file into the main SE pk3, add whatever sound you like as "minifast", and you're good to go.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/4ihfqo8z1bhjnyq/MINIGUN.zip

Thank you for your awesome work! It help me a lot! With my own sounds minigun started to growl like a engine in a muscle car) But it helps me in a few ways. Today's problem is about crashing after i installed new version of your mod. It starts crashing, when, in my field of view adjudged some kind of an enemy. Dont realised which one, but i think it is Commando, because i wanted to check my previous problem with them and later ran into such trouble. I tryed with my modified files, and the vanilla one. The same problem anywhere.

Also you did really awesome work!) I love it, likely, more than the original Brutal Doom mod. Cant play it without your modifications! :)

up.
Also i an using "Improved Doom 1-2 Brightmaps" instead of "Improved GZDoom Brightmaps" which came with a later version of your mod. Maybe therein lies the problem.
User avatar
LowBrown
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2013

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby SigFloyd » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:20 pm

Perhaps try starting a new game? I can't seem to replicate any crashes at all on my end. Or maybe there could be something about the load order. I personally prefer to use ZDL, and have those brightmaps on autoload before any other custom files. Also, if you want to test out the Commando, you can quickly do so by opening the console and typing "summon chaingunguy" (without quotes).

As for the brightmap file, I simply renamed it since calling it GZDoom Brightmaps implies that it would also be for all other Doom-likes such as Heretic, etc.
User avatar
SigFloyd
Vaguely Sexual
 
Joined: 13 Feb 2012

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby LowBrown » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:27 pm

SigFloyd wrote:Perhaps try starting a new game? I can't seem to replicate any crashes at all on my end. Also, if you want to test out the Commando, you can quickly do so by opening the console and typing "summon chaingunguy" (without quotes)

As for the brightmap file, I simply renamed it since calling it GZDoom Brightmaps implies that it would also be for all other Doom-likes such as Heretic, etc.


You are right. I tryed new game and all works fine. Apparently there is an incompatibility with the previous version's save games.
Damn! I am really happy about these bug fixes! Thank you very much and for helping, and for your work with this mod :)
User avatar
LowBrown
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2013

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby LowBrown » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:41 pm

If you do not mind, i've decided to publish my sounds for some of the weapons. Maybe anyone else will like it.
So there are new fire sounds for Rifle, Shotgun, SSG, Chaingun, and Plasmagun.
You can watch and hear it below (sorry for the shitty quality, WMM is trash, and i did not know that).
And download Here - http://www.mediafire.com/?ua9xmjh76d6buzy

To install just throw all files in archive to the Brutal Doom v19 SE.pk3 with the replacement of the previous files.
And a little gameplay with theese sounds below if u want to see it in action (with normal quality).
Spoiler:


UP
There was a little mistake in the archive. I repared it, so your minigun will be allright now (if u just copied all files from the past archive, there might be a problem with chaingun sounds, like i had before. Now u should do the same thing, and all will be allright). Just redownload and reinstall it, if u dowloaded it before.
Last edited by LowBrown on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
LowBrown
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2013

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby SigFloyd » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:17 pm

That's much more in the style of regular Brutal Doom. When I began replacing weapon sounds way back when started editing BD, I intended the weapons to sound more "unreal", for lack of better word. Recognizable as a gun, but exaggerated in way that felt uniquely 90's/early 00's, in order to avoid making the weapons sounding like they were recorded at a real life firing range like so many modern shooters today. There's also a fine line between a sound feeling powerful and a sound being too overbearing, relative to the actual strength of the weapon. Of course not a whole lot of folks are going to share my philosophy on sound design, so with SE as it is, YMMV. What you got there though, is still quite a bit better than regular BD. Just not my cup of tea.

EDIT: I've added the new sounds to the Addon pack. It's a pk3 and ready to go.
Last edited by SigFloyd on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
SigFloyd
Vaguely Sexual
 
Joined: 13 Feb 2012

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby Slax » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Chaingun's amazing, LowBrown. I want it to be part of... well, something. This? Yes please.
User avatar
Slax
Saucy.
 
Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Location: Window office.

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby Max Dickings » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:30 am

Ugh! I can't get any new minigun fire sounds to work in this mod!

Eh. I'll check for a new post, might as well.

/Fantastic, loud and brutal sound pack is posted/

Well shit this is exactly what I wanted! :D
User avatar
Max Dickings
 
Joined: 28 Feb 2013

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby coolster » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:06 am

Im glad the dismembered parts can be kicked again, thanks for the fix. Also sorry for being inactive for a while even though you we're asking me before what the hell i was talking about with this head kicking. After i get back home i need to check Lowbrown upload to see if it's good (Though i have nothing against Brutal Doom SE sounds, they seem to be higher quality and less ear-raping than regular Brutal Doom ones).


Offtopic: I can't login from my house using firefox (instead i have to use opera) but i can elsewhere on firefox, what kind of sorcery is this?
coolster
 
Joined: 16 Oct 2012

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby LowBrown » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:13 am

Thank you all for such a nice feedback!
I tried hard to make them sound like this.
Also i have 2 new things to tell u all.
1. The previous sound pack was not staffed right. the minigun file should not be in folder. I bet someone did not realised that, and in that way chaingun shooting sound will not be played properely. It can be a mess like i had before. Just redownload it in my previous post and reinstall. And all be fine :)
2. The other thing. I replaced some skins in SigFloyd's addon with some "new" one's. I dont like SSG's and Shotgun's skins from DoomNukem's skin pack like i had. And i've decided to replace SSG's with older one, and Shotgun's with the new one with a little improvements. SSG is now more clean and realistic, And shotgun just feels better for me. It has now round fore-end, and it looks, as i say more realistic and clean. Also i remade something in rifle. Now it dont have this massive and useless ironsight. Aiming is more easier for me with that.
Anyway here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?53mpt4p3oq844ih
And if u want to see them, u can wach again my videos from above.
It's .pk3 file, just make it autoload, hope u know how to do that.

SigFloyd wrote:That's much more in the style of regular Brutal Doom. When I began replacing weapon sounds way back when started editing BD, I intended the weapons to sound more "unreal", for lack of better word. Recognizable as a gun, but exaggerated in way that felt uniquely 90's/early 00's, in order to avoid making the weapons sounding like they were recorded at a real life firing range like so many modern shooters today. There's also a fine line between a sound feeling powerful and a sound being too overbearing, relative to the actual strength of the weapon. Of course not a whole lot of folks are going to share my philosophy on sound design, so with SE as it is, YMMV. What you got there though, is still quite a bit better than regular BD. Just not my cup of tea.

EDIT: I've added the new sounds to the Addon pack. It's a pk3 and ready to go.

I think i got your vision at this part of the game. It's really interesting to see that king of opinion, and it makes sense what is the most important. But i have more simplistic view of these things. I just wanted to make guns feels punchy and juicy, and the sound is the right way to make them such. Thank you very much for adding them to your addon. Really appreciate it! :D
Also all the rest sounds are perfect. I enjoy them every second that i hear them.

Slax wrote:Chaingun's amazing, LowBrown. I want it to be part of... well, something. This? Yes please.

You are welcome. Do whatever u want. :)
Last edited by LowBrown on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
LowBrown
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2013

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby Skrell » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:37 am

LowBrown, any chance I can use your new sound with the regular BD19 and Zandronum engine? They sounds great!! :)
Skrell
 
Joined: 25 Mar 2013

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Postby LowBrown » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Skrell wrote:LowBrown, any chance I can use your new sound with the regular BD19 and Zandronum engine? They sounds great!! :)

Thank you :)
There is a big chance you to see theese sounds in original Brutal Doom mod, but for this moment i cant make them, just because SigFloyd's addon contains different file names and files per se from original mod. I searched for a moment to see theese sound files, but i can see a few of them. I need help in that process :) If someone knows where are theese files which i used to replace with my own in brutal doomv19, tell me, please.
User avatar
LowBrown
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2013

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Combine_Kegan, Lagi, MauiBot, TheLightBad96 and 23 guests