[WIP/Release] Brutal Doom SE

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SigFloyd

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Post by SigFloyd »

southpark2010 wrote:Yeah, basically it carries on, even when the Commando has stopped firing. It's horrible when there's a group of them.
That means I must have overlooked a StopSound function in one of the states somewhere. Does it always do this? Or from a particular way you interrupt them? I've included a file that I've tested with over and over, and tried a bunch of scenarios/combinations that I can think of that could possibly glitch out their firing sound, and no glitch resulted. Extract this into the main SE pk3 and see if it solves the problem. It contains a slightly different approach to Commando sound looping than before, with some more care to stop those sounds when they should.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4z49k ... MMANDO.zip

Also, could GZDoom version have something to do with it? I'm running 1.8.2
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

I was having the same problem too, but this seems to have fixed it :D
southpark2010

Post by southpark2010 »

I was running ZDoom 2.7.1. I'll try the thing later.

Another bug: (Hopefully the way I explain it will make sense) It seems like the Mancubus corpse with the cannon sawed-off always have this thing where if you look at it in a certain angle, it has the cannon back, and if you look back in the previous direction, it will have the cannon sawed-off again.

Suggestion: Could you make the Doomnukem shotgun's reloading sprites to move/shake like the normal ones?
SigFloyd

Post by SigFloyd »

Could this be what you're talking about? It's the only way I could reproduce something like what you describe, in both the latest ZDoom and GZDoom. It's just the severed cannon sprite being covered up by the corpse until you turn around.

Just in case, I've gone over the Mancubus file again and touched up some things to ensure the corpse really isn't cloning. Same deal as the Commando file above, unzip and place the main pk3.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/flcir ... NCUBUS.zip

Also, later I'll experiment with the shotgun reloading's offsets to recreate the normal shotgun's nudging when inserting shells.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Well, I think I'm going to take the plunge with something. I like this alteration to BD a lot, and so I'm going to now finally try to implement 8+1 reloading on the shotgun. Never really tried doing this because Sgt. Mark IV's coding of reload sequences is hard to follow. He doesn't separate the reload sequences into separately named 'phases' like Mr. WW does. Well, I'm gonna try to, and may try rewriting it a great bit to be more legible if its needed to get 8+1 reloading to work.

EDIT: I give up, just the way the Brutal DooM weapons code is structured, it looks like absolute chaos is going on to me because of all the jumping around! :shock: Makes me wonder how the heck they work as good as they do. Can somebody help step me through the flow path of the reloading code for the shotgun? I REALLY want to get my 8+1 reloading working for Brutal, but I can't make sense of the path of execution through it with all the dang 'TNT1 AAAAA 0' breaks in it along with the 'Goto' jumps that specify the state plus x number of frames. I get lost trying to find which frame it jumping too exactly. Why didn't Mark IV just use named sub-states instead?
southpark2010

Post by southpark2010 »

SigFloyd wrote:Could this be what you're talking about? It's the only way I could reproduce something like what you describe, in both the latest ZDoom and GZDoom. It's just the severed cannon sprite being covered up by the corpse until you turn around.

Just in case, I've gone over the Mancubus file again and touched up some things to ensure the corpse really isn't cloning. Same deal as the Commando file above, unzip and place the main pk3.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/flcir ... NCUBUS.zip

Also, later I'll experiment with the shotgun reloading's offsets to recreate the normal shotgun's nudging when inserting shells.
No, it's one sprite. The cannon on him is still intact, even when I sawed it off and grabbed it.
SigFloyd

Post by SigFloyd »

Patriot1776 wrote: I give up, just the way the Brutal DooM weapons code is structured, it looks like absolute chaos is going on to me because of all the jumping around!
Believe me, I've tried. One of these days, though, I'll grow the cojones to see it through.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Ahh, so you've been wanting to implement 8+1 reloading too? :D I mean, 'Accessories to Murder' has shown I think much that '+1' reloading for pump shotguns is very elegant and makes that weapon even more useful, besides it actually being more like how such weapons are really used in the real world by SWAT and soldiers in tactical firefights. But yeah, the way Sgt. Mark IV coded the weapons, you can't easily figure out the flow of frame execution at all so you can insert tweaks in the right places. :/

I've started delving into the old 'GZDA Advanced Weapons' code again because the mod did have also another small weapons quirk I liked: if you reloaded the pistol with one round left in the clip, that round was still retained in the gun so you now had an additional shot per clip each time you did it. Gonna see if I can figure out a way to make that work with non-clip-based reloading.
Morter

Post by Morter »

What's the best method of sticking the comando and mancubus files in the .pk3, using something like 7zip? I've used that for things like minecraft files into .jars and though i can open .pk3's like archives, I can't seem to fiddle around with the innards like I want to.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

Easy. Winrar :D
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Iddqd wrote:I was able to return disassembling monsters
I'm going to have to ask, what exactly are you talking about?
coolster

Post by coolster »

WW he probably ment that he was able to restore old hitboxes so you are again able to dismember corpses and gib them without doing some weird things like you need right now (you know that tiny 1x1 hitbox isn't helping). I would actually like to see that as a mutator, cause i liked to destroy pretty much everything.
SigFloyd

Post by SigFloyd »

I managed to do 7+1 reloading for the Shotgun. It's not pretty, but it works. It had be 7+1 and not 8+1 since that would cause problems with people's saves, which would be a buzzkill for those part way into a campaign. I also added shootable corpses and pre-v19 Chansaw attacks to the addon pack.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Can you do anything about rescued marines only having assault rifles? The others were a bit friendly-fire heavy, but I miss chaingun, rocket, shotgun etc marines. Maybe FF can be turned off for them somehow as well?
Lance

Post by Lance »

-Ghost- wrote:Can you do anything about rescued marines only having assault rifles? The others were a bit friendly-fire heavy, but I miss chaingun, rocket, shotgun etc marines. Maybe FF can be turned off for them somehow as well?
PLEASE for the love of all things brutal, bring this feature back. I missed variable weapons for the marines as well. That FF needs to go too, I hate when they throw a grenade and I get owned by it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”