If Doom was done today (Part 3) [Released]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Naitguolf

Re: If Doom was done today (Part 3) [Released]

Post by Naitguolf »

Excelent!! This really shows how boring can be the new kind of fps? :P Hilarious! Hope you make more (maybe releasing the dlc??) Or premium? :P (maybe to choose multiplayer you need to "pay")
SlapTheFish

Post by SlapTheFish »

Another excellent game, I have loved all of the 'Call of Dooty's but this one was and is the best. I laughed out loud a few times too. Great job and good luck with future projects.
Jack Mackerel

Post by Jack Mackerel »

AlwaysDoomed wrote:Are modern shooters really this bad? because I have never played any fps more modern than doom3 XD
It's a matter of taste, nostalgia, and the usual "if it's not difficult and/or complex I hate it" sort of deal. I still fondly recall people going spastic about the .357 using iron sights in the fan remake of Half-Life 1.

Just throw in random quotes from Spec Ops: The Line and you'll be good, OP! :foxnews:
Last edited by Jack Mackerel on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Dude I'm in tears, I lost it at the "RETURN TO COMBAT ZONE" while just trying to walk another way. Oh, how I hate modern shooters. (With exceptions.)
FireHusky

Post by FireHusky »

I got my good dose of laughs for today, I played it a few days ago. :P
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

In all honesty, if it wasn't so heavy-handed, that actually would have been pretty good. Even still, it bounced between annoying, entertaining, and hilarious. I know a lot of you will disagree with me on this, but whether by design, accident or consequence Call of Dooty drags a lot of the positive traits of modern shooters with it.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

No kidding! That's why it's not really a jokewad, it's more of a poe. Hard to tell whether it's trolling or being flat out honest, and I wouldn't have a series any other way.

Here's the number one thing I'm gonna put out there that makes it bad- it's replay value is ZERO. Did you watch the video? You saw all there is to the wad and don't need to play it. Hence why so many companies, instead of acknoledging that their gameplay is crap and designed to hook you on the single experience you have with it, try to illegalize showing it on Youtube.
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

What'd ya know, most modern shooters and replayability don't tend to exist in one bundle.

It feels like they spend so much money on the budget of FLASHY GRAPHYCS and VOICE ACTUNG that they do not have anything left to afford a more or less proper testing group, so they force the game to have one and only one way to be completed in order to reduce the amount of testing required to ensure that this thing works.

Or they think that LOLPLOT is more important than gameplay, even though "gameplay" has the word "game" in it and it's not a silly coincidence or something.

Or they are just [censored word].

Or all of the above.

I don't really know.
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

As long as history is more important that the game itself. We are talking about GAMES, no fucking history. That's one the reason of the new games failed replayability.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Would it do justice to make a modern FPS pay homage to its ancestors while maintaining a 'modern' style of it's gameplay?
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

Uh.

History.

Okay.

That can kinda explain the first few titles(which, ironically, were actually half-way decent) of CoD series which took place during world war 2 and whatnot.

But, while I've never played much of the newer series(including ghosts), the almighty Google tells me that at least one of the Ghosts missions involves fighting on agod bloody damned space station. How in the eleven hells does history justify it?
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

HexaDoken wrote:Uh.

History.

Okay.

That can kinda explain the first few titles(which, ironically, were actually half-way decent) of CoD series which took place during world war 2 and whatnot.

But, while I've never played much of the newer series(including ghosts), the almighty Google tells me that at least one of the Ghosts missions involves fighting on agod bloody damned space station. How in the eleven hells does history justify it?
The game starts with the voiceless main character and his brother and father talking about the big badass 'Ghosts', when tungsten rods start nuking major U.S. cities. Cut to 18 minutes previous, and you're in space to check on a the obligatory-theme-named ODIN space station when a South American coalition force named the Federation sabotages it and uses its payload to wreck America before you and the other astronaut-soldiers blow it up to prevent it from being used further. The Federation then uses this opportunity to invade the U.S. after the damages reduce it from being a national superpower, and somehow they take over California, Arizona, New Mexico and parts of Texas over the course of ten years while half the nation is in ruins and the other half is perfectly fine aside from Feddies running around, and the main characters lose whatever possible interesting traits they had to become generic action soldier shootydudes with a nigh-invulnerable dog by their side.

That's not even the start of how illogically batshit insane Ghosts is.
True Absolution

Post by True Absolution »

Great video, like the others. I really enjoyed it! It's pretty much spot on.
Jack Mackerel

Post by Jack Mackerel »

MJ79 wrote:Would it do justice to make a modern FPS pay homage to its ancestors while maintaining a 'modern' style of it's gameplay?
Shadow Warrior 2013.

There's also the MW2 Multiplayer ported to Single Player Doom, which goes to show you can actually make a pretty good classic FPS out of COD's mechanics.
Are we seriously arguing about how historically correct a video game is, especially one that's explicitly stated to take in an alternate future? (The Rods from God are hideously impractical, but that's another subject for another thread.)
In all honesty, if it wasn't so heavy-handed, that actually would have been pretty good. Even still, it bounced between annoying, entertaining, and hilarious. I know a lot of you will disagree with me on this, but whether by design, accident or consequence Call of Dooty drags a lot of the positive traits of modern shooters with it.
Probably because COD4 was considered a game changer (and people were spending all their time on COD2, anyway). It's kinda weird, because people refuse to acknowledge that maybe DooM 2 and parts of DooM 1 had horrid level design choice, then get angry at a lack of bland keyhunts in modern games.
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

I think my favorite FPS in recent history (possibly ever) is Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. It traces its ancestry back to the old Rainbow Six games, but unlike those it's not unplayably tactical. What I really like about it is that you're put in charge of the squad instead of following some other guy around. You dictate the pace and the tactics.

I really wish it had a branching storyline, though. And it's still kind of linear. But it was definitely a game that more people should have copied.

On a barely related note, the space portions of Black Ops 2 made me wish people still played Shattered Horizon. That game was barely a demo, but it was fresh and interesting and also goes on my "games that should have been copied" list.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”