Brutal Doom 0.19 Vanilified

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
winz

Re: Brutal Doom 0.19 Vanilified

Post by winz »

How's this project going?

I've been searching for a Brutal Doom mod that gets rid of all the extra crap, including the annoying helmet blood and holes effect, the new weapons, the slow ass player speed, and I would say even the animations of the enemies in agony need to go. I get an head ache with so many repeating screams at once, is just annoying. Thank god the developer had the decency to bring back the original zombie noises instead of the Doom 3 alpha chaingun zombie ones, that was terrible.

Anyway, would it possible to get a TOTALLY Vanilla Brutal Doom experience? I just want the new extra gore with intact Doom gameplay.

Thanks
armyman12345

Post by armyman12345 »

Try ketchup.
Nemesis6

Post by Nemesis6 »

Main post has been updated with the latest version. I've been working continuously on this. However, I have had to change some gameplay elements for balance.

* Shotgun and chaingun spread is now both horizontal and vertical, specifically to avoid players headshot-sniping with them.

* To encourage players to use the chaingun more instead of only shotgunning their way through a level, commandos and zombie men will sometimes drop more ammo in the form of ammo boxes and magazine bandoliers, respectively.

* A few new monster deaths have been added. Some are already used in one form or another in the Brutal Doom, but not as normal, default deaths. Sorry to rush the credits here, but the main names are Eriance, Vader, ItsNatureToDie, Kinsie, Blox, Phil108, Minigunner, and osjclatchford. Their work is damn amazing!

* Fixed some of the gore stuff with the chaingun.

* Oh... and screaming marines:

There hasn't been much interest in this, so as it stands now, this mod really just reflects more how I personally would vanilify Brutal Doom.
winz

Post by winz »

Hi, what about the Zandronum version?
And what about the stuff I posted? I would love an alternative version if posible, that is totally vanilla, without the helmet cracks, helmet blood, original fast player speed etc.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Isn't mucking with the weapon spread unvanillizing the game?
Nemesis6

Post by Nemesis6 »

Yeah, I had to take some creative license with it. Initially I thought that I could leave stuff like this well alone, but you can only go far with a mod like this until balance issues start popping up. For example: The chaingun headshots revenants easily, so with the normal one, if you face a group of them, you could pretty much just mow them down by by aiming for the heads. You can still do that now, but if you want to try it that way, you will have to get closer, and it's a little harder. In the end, it's now more of a brawler weapon like the shotguns. The extra ammo thing is also balance-related, because in normal Brutal Doom, the chaingun is insanely effective and does a hell of a lot of damage, so the extra ammo is an attempt to make up for that.
winz

Post by winz »

Can you just remove headshots and all that crap if needed? I just want a 100% vanilla doom experience with the cool gore stuff of Brutal Doom.
Or you could program it in a way that, the headshot/or any of type of dismemberment that results in death only happens when the damage being dealt is enough to cause the enemy death in normal circumstances. I don't know if im being clear?
Get rid of agonyzing enemies, zombies lying in the floor still shooting you etc...
I just would like a hardcore 100% vanilla strict experience with the gore stuff that doesn't interfer with original gameplay in any case.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Someone else suggested it above but wasn't especially clear about it: what you want, Winz, is Sgt. Mark IV's other mod, "Ketchup Gore Mod." It is literally the blood effects and visual stuff from Brutal Doom with no changes to the gameplay. Unfortunately, he still seems to be doing this via monster replacements, which I'm told breaks a number of the mods that it claims to be compatible with, but for your purposes it will probably be okay.
winz

Post by winz »

I tried the Ketchup mod and it isn't really what I want. It lacks the awesomeness of the Brutal Doom gore, aka dismemberments, flying bodyparts and shit.
I wish I knew how to program so I could do it exactly how I want it.
Btw, why is Sergeant_Mark_IV banned from here and other forums?
Popsoap

Post by Popsoap »

winz wrote:I wish I knew how to program so I could do it exactly how I want it.
Try practicing with coding then. I know it looks REALLY daunting at first, but it is easily learned from looking at examples.

You're gonna need this and this though before you start.
winz wrote:Btw, why is Sergeant_Mark_IV banned from here and other forums?
On these forums, it was moderators being fed up with drama caused by him.

I think on Doomworld, it was for talking back at moderators for cross posting some racially offensive comments located within Brutal Doom's code.

On Zandronum, this happened.
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

I'd like the same as winz. location based damage and so on is still very gameplay changing, which is bad if you just want an awesome gore mod to be played with custom wads without changed gameplay (which is important if you play an unknown custom wad to the way how it was intended)
That Ketchup thingy I didnt like so much as well. At the moment I'm with the PFEnhancer mod which includes a modified nashgore if I remember right.

And suggesting coding this yourself is not a solution. Not everyone has the skills for programming. And this mod is even quite complex acs code I would highly assume.
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Hi. I want to rid off the dying marines (i found them very annoying) Please, anyone could point where to point? I surely can edit the rest, i just dont know where to start. :)
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Lol, how many BD "forks" are there? :P Thank you Uninstall, i will try once i go home.
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Were the special attacks removed in this? I never liked the weak monsters having extra attacks that would deal more damage to the player. Also the "shadows" added in the original's GLDEFs was pretty stupid and un-Doomish as well, same went with the new looking liquid flats.

Edit: Things that should be removed/changed for a true Brutal Vanilla experience (IMO) :
-Special attacks removed.
-Monster HP/speed restored to vanilla levels, especially bosses.
-Perk high def sounds should be optional, I personally dislike them.
-Removal of altered liquid flats.
-Brightmaps should be optional.
-Remove current armor sprites.
-Remove title music.
-Cap health and armor bonus max at 200.
-Probably other stuff I can't find atm :p

Return to “Gameplay Mods”